Sport Bikes banner

New Bike Right Before a Big Trip?

1K views 28 replies 22 participants last post by  zmeiaspas 
#1 ·
Would you do it? Not just a new bike, but a significant jump in horsepower, braking power, and handling capabilities- Ninja 650R to an FZ-1 - and not just any big trip, but a trip to Southeastern Ohio and some serious twisties. I've got a possibility of getting the FZ-1 next week, but I'm heading to Hocking Hills on Friday for all day Saturday and a good chunk of Sunday of twisty heaven. I'm not sure it's the best idea in the world, but I really want to do it at the same time.

Discussion starter · #10 ·
It's not a brand new bike. It's a used FZ-1 - an '07 with around 7000 miles. Also, to Raven 105xx, it's not an SS bike, it's a sporty standard, albeit one that is basically a naked R1 with a slightly detuned motor. I don't have to worry about break-in but I do want to make sure I'm not getting over my head on a new bike on pretty technical roads. 33 on the way down is fairly curvy, though more long sweeper type curves than any technical switchbacks or anything. I'm probably going to end up on an FJR in another 2 or 3 years, but this would be a pretty good bike between the 650 Twin and a "pipe and slippers" sporty touring bike. I'm considering it pretty heavily.

Discussion starter · #13 ·
You're probably right. I'm a very careful rider anyway and I'm almost 40, married and a father, so I don't push it real hard regardless. With a new bike I'd be even more cautious until I got comfortable with the feel of it. I'm going to try and get this done early this week so I have a few days of commuting on it before I leave.

Discussion starter · #25 ·
I've decided to wait. Phil's right and he knows I'm pushing 40, so my body doesn't adapt as well as you young kids anymore. While ultimately the FZ will be more comfortable on longer trips it will require an adjustment period and 4 days is not enough time for that, at least not for me. The bike will still be there next week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.