Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned an amazing 2007 Aprilia RSV 1000 R for the past two years or so. Great bike that had the looks, the power and the handling that made me smile. Now, it's gone and it's time to get something new. I want to get out of the clip on body position and want to get something with a handlebar but still maintain a good sporty ride. I've always owned V-Twins and I love this engine configuration. I'd like to stay here but will consider a V4. It'll be mostly for street riding, twisties, and the occasional track day. I have $8000 to play with and here are the bikes that I'm considering.

1. 2006-2010 Aprilia Tuono Factory

- Pretty much a tested and familiar situation with me. I love this motor and suspension. I had Ohlins front and rear on my RSV and I'd like to keep the same on my Tuono. That is why I like the Factory version. I might be able to find one much lower than $8000 and can stash the rest for mods or something.
- I think this bike is pretty ugly but I can live with it as long as I look only at the back end of the bike.

2. Ducati Streetfighter 1098

- I've seen a few of these in the $8000 range recently. This is not going to be the SFS model, but if I'm lucky and patient, I might find one. But not likely. I've owned 4 Ducati's before and LOVE the motor. The bike is super goegeous and gets me tingling in all the right places.
- You have to spend some money on the valve checks and possibly adjustment every 7500 miles or so. This can be anywhere from $400 - 1200 depending on how many valves have to be adjusted. Also, you don't get the traction control or ABS at my price point unless I get the S model... which is unlikely.

3. Ducati Streetfighter 848

- All the beauty of the 1098 but with a more street friendly package. It has a wet clutch which I prefer over the dry clutch. It's got the traction control but no ABS. The handlebar is also a bit higher and the Rt foot peg placement isn't as much of a problem as on the 1098.

4. Aprilia Tuono V4

- It's not going to be super easy at $8000 but they're out there. I might have to drag the guy into my pricing territory. I mean... this bike is just the fucking tits. Great electonics, phenomenal power, comfortable riding position if you change the plank they call a seat. Other than an exhaust, I really won't have to do much in the way of mods... oh and suspension; but I'd be getting heavier springs for my fat ass on pretty much any of the bikes I've listed.
- Only thing is that I'm not that crazy on the 4 cyl power plant and even though it isn't AS ugly as the older model Tuono, I still think this isn't a pretty bike by any means.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I've owned an 08 Tuono and did a lengthy test ride on the SF848. I picked the Tuono over the SF because I found it way more comfortable and I liked the motor better, though the Ducati had better looks and transmission. Also the price was a lot better.

The Tuono is shockingly comfortable, like all day. If I could fit more than a tail bag on it I could cross country tour on it. You actually can put saddlebags on it but I had the high mount under seat Leo Vince exhaust which looks and sounds amazing but kills luggage options.

I've got carpal tunnel and a lot of bikes make my hands go numb, but the Tuono was the only bike where I never had that problem, I attribute that to an excellently balanced motor and great seating position.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's good info. Clearly, it seems to me that the Gen II Tuono is the smart thing to do. Insurance is cheapest on this bike too. The SF848 has the highest insurance due to it being the newest.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Have you thought about coming to the orange side ? 8000 would get you something nice and orangey and full of WP and brembo goodness . Service somewhere between Aprilia and Ducati .. stupidity and lunacy well above them . I went from an Aprilia to a KTM and knew the right choice had been made instantly .

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
Have you thought about coming to the orange side ? 8000 would get you something nice and orangey and full of WP and brembo goodness . Service somewhere between Aprilia and Ducati .. stupidity and lunacy well above them . I went from an Aprilia to a KTM and knew the right choice had been made instantly .
+1 for Orange coolaid.

Eight large will get you into a 4-5 year old SDR if you are willing to dig. You have to be willing to accept a certain amount of KTMness though, they are like lightswitches, they want to be on or off, its not a bike to pussy around with.

(thats the 1290 and 1190, they have manners, which Sequential is about to bitch about) :eatsmiley

Don't toss out the later model Speed Triples either, I would say Street R, but the guys that buy them don't tend to come off of the damn things, so finding them used at any price is pretty rare.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
+1 for Orange coolaid.

Eight large will get you into a 4-5 year old SDR if you are willing to dig. You have to be willing to accept a certain amount of KTMness though, they are like lightswitches, they want to be on or off, its not a bike to pussy around with.

(thats the 1290 and 1190, they have manners, which Sequential is about to bitch about) :eatsmiley
Darn right I bitch , they removed the nonsense from the later models , the KTMness is what made the machine , all or nothing with no quarter given to the timid , beserk is what I look for in a bike , my back up bike is a Husky 570 SMR .. sensible choices are for shoes :lgh2

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have always thought about the VFR but that will be the next bike. I need to hooligan a little bit first before settling into a sport touring.

The KTM, huh? I haven't even considered that. BRB, doing some research.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I have always thought about the VFR but that will be the next bike. I need to hooligan a little bit first before settling into a sport touring.

The KTM, huh? I haven't even considered that. BRB, doing some research.
KTM Super Duke (2005-2013) Motorbike Review | MCN

If all of life were like a KTM Super Duke it would be a short, barely glimpsed blur of action-packed vignettes. There is surely nothing more frenetic on two-wheels than the KTM 990 Super Duke short of sticking a nitrous kit, a jet turbine and a flame-thrower into the frame of a fold-up bicycle.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
#4 Would be my choice, but beware that it drinks gas all to be damned. After owning my SV650, twins just don't 'scream' enough for me, and that 4 cyl bassy note that can still scream is a home run.

The 1098 really still requires 7500 valve check? I guess it wasn't until later that those got bumped up. 1, 2 and 3 are all sweet bikes, though. (Minus some expanding gas tanks, I guess.) If I had to pick a V2 from your list it'd be #1.

As mentioned, Super Dukes are pretty sweet, too. Just take a bit of getting used to, I'd imagine.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After much research, I think the KTM is out. The styling isn't going to gel with me. The Tuono is as ugly as I'll go. I like the 1290 Duke but that's way out of my price range.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
#1...never owned one but everyone who has and every review i've read was all thumbs up.
Well, I don't share your sentiment. I know a guy who had a Superduke AND a 690 motard. He now has neither. He hated them long term. He now has a StripleR

·
Registered
743 Posts
I like all the options but one more to add, could get a used fz09 and have money left for suspension.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I'd take a STR over the fz09. Could find a triumph easier and cheaper. I figured coming from the rsv he wanted something with more oomph

·
Registered
743 Posts
I'd take a STR over the fz09. Could find a triumph easier and cheaper. I figured coming from the rsv he wanted something with more oomph
As would I if I were stuck with stock. If I had money for farkles though, the fz has a much stronger motor, just garbage suspension and needs a reflash. He mentioned the 848, the fz09 makes about the same power but with far less maintenance and insurance.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I vote for #1

1 - 20 of 30 Posts