Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have my license, from taking the safety course. Got good helmet, gloves, and picking up a jacket and pants tomorrow. I'll be getting some other gear and materials later on, including a passenger helmet. I'm wondering what would be the best size to get for different passengers, a large? Got any ideas. I don't plan on taking anyone on the back until I feel very secure with it, but I'm just wondering, I guess. And also, being a small girl with a bike that is a little less than 400 dry weight, though my seat is the right height for me, I am a little itchy about when I have to stop fast. I don't want the thing to fall on me when I may have that need in traffic. Does anyone have any good ideas for some practice that would help me prepare for that, before I take it in traffic on the open road. I remember all the exercises for my class, which will be good, but just wondering if anyone has any other ideas that might be beneficial. I plan on practicing some things quite a bit before I start putting myself out there in more dangerous environments. I'm just a safety girl. Heehee. Well, let me know...any ideas would be great. I have a friend that is willing to aid me, as well.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
first :welcome and you might want to get you some traffice cones, and set them up in a large parking lot and practice riding at a speed you want to practice at towards them and come to a stop between them, and before going past them.(not at them directly because they may possibly make you wreck if you hit them)

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I figure that will be the best. But I'm a little worried about the quick stop...don't want to lay it over cuz it's brand new. Would it be too dangerous to have my friend stand near where I will stop to help me catch the bike if it starts to go, do you think? I did great on them in the class, but the bike was smaller and lighter weight, so I know I will have to get used to this one, especially since I DO USE MY FOOT BRAKE, unlike some riders. Just don't want to scratch her up in practice on such an easy exercise.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JaiBird said:
first :welcome and you might want to get you some traffice cones, and set them up in a large parking lot and practice riding at a speed you want to practice at towards them and come to a stop between them, and before going past them.(not at them directly because they may possibly make you wreck if you hit them)
Yup, know how to do the exercises, and my line is pretty straight, my curve line is pretty good too, so I ain't worried about hitting the cones, hehehe. Just don't want to lay her over on the abruptness of the stop.

·
Registered
544 Posts
If you're worried about scratching up the bike, you could take the fairings off initially while you are practicing the emergency stops and riding in general. It'll only take a few minutes and it'll give you some peace of mind (and may save you money in the long run).

Another thing that might help you get comfortable on the bike is to ride on some back roads for a while (this will depend on where you live). When I started riding, I spent about a week and a half putting around on back roads just to get used to riding at speed, something that can't be practiced in a parking lot or at an MSF course. As I got more comfortable, I began venturing onto busier streets.

Also, welcome to SBN. :welcome

·
Registered
268 Posts
JaiBird said:
This is more or less what I used to do as well. Find a nice long empty parking lot (A local community college on the weekends was my personal favorite), and pick something significant to use as your stopping point. Then approach it at low speed and practice stopping before you reach it. Repeat over and over, slowly increasing your approach speed until you feel comfortable. I personally wouldn't recommend having anyone stand by, as that will probably just make you more nervous and distract you ("Ack! I'm going to hit him!"). Using the foot brake is good, but in an emergency situation if you slam it, you might lose traction in the rear. Most of your braking should take place with the front brakes! Good luck to you, and congrats on your first bike (great choice!)

P.S> If you do happen to over-brake with the rear and it loses traction, make sure you hold the rear brake until you come to a stop. If you let off the brake and it regains traction, it'll try and throw you!

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
bombshell said:
Thanks...any more ideas are much appreciated as well.
Try gettiing use to the front brake slowly and consistently though, IT IS where most of your braking comes from. Also try lining the cones up, and practice going in and out, helps on preventing rear-end collisions with cages. You drive how you train/practice.

·
2 As 1
1,121 Posts
:welcome

Practice a lot in parking lots, buy frame sliders, and practice more. There really is no other way, just lots of practice. For braking, just remember not to grab the brakes... try to squeeze progressively. Read lots of books. "Twist Of The Wrist" / "Profecient Motorcycling" etc...

Have fun, and stay safe.
:)

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
Welcome to SBN :dblthumb

I would say take the plastics off use some cones to set up a "track". I wouldn't let someone be there at the stopping point. When you make that stop and you try to grab it and keep it from going they will be too and you can actually work against one another and it will hit the ground anyways.

·
Super Moderator
18,633 Posts
Welcome :twofinger

Awesome to hear a noob speak so highly when talking about gear :dblthumb Gear literally saved my life 2 weeks ago (see link below) so please wear it no matter what...

http://forums.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=310035

As for tips...The best practice is saddle time...Start with empty parking lots and then start hitting the roads that have little to no traffic and slowly progress to more dense areas...

Good luck and post up your progress...

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
First off :welcome

Can't say anything other then what has already been said except:
:needpics

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just started riding a few years ago and after I took the course I just took it out on some of the quieter streets and would practice hard stops at some of the stop signs or coming up to stop lights to get an idea of how long it takes me to stop, and then increase the speed when you're comfortable. I also had an SV650S that I had a lower fairing on that came off for about the first couple of weeks. I do live in a small town so I have more places to practice.

·
Calm like a bomb!
7,944 Posts
Welcome to SBN!

Best advice I can add is since this is your first bike...just tip it over and scratch it. Then you wont worry about hurting the bike and you can focus on riding. :)

·
Registered
10,734 Posts
Howdy and welcome to SBN! Removing some of the fairings is a pretty good suggestion but I'd also check into frame sliders. I don't know if or how hard it might be to mount them on your bike, but I've saved many dollars thanks to those things. As far as the quick stops, start with more gradual application of your brakes and slowly work your way up to the shortest stops you are comfortable attempting.

Once again welcome to our madhouse!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Welcome to SBN!! I'd start by the parking lot method, then making rounds through the neighborhood starting with one street then gradually increasing my range until I'm comfortable with that neighborhood then stretching to another neighborhood. Then you can hit the main streets during times when little or no traffic are present.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts