Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I pulled the tr***** on a new 2013 Ninja 300 SE ABS, got a solid deal, about $1000 off msrp including Kawasaki's mega cash rebate.

Anyway, since the bike is brand new I have a few concerns about maintenance from now until I will actually be able to ride it (end of April). The bike will be stored in my garage which is poorly insulated, meaning the temp will be quite cold. Preferably I would like to start it every week or so like my dad does with his bike. Is this acceptable for a brand new motor that has yet to be broken in? Should I just let it sit in the cold until April? Or is there something else I should be doing to ensure the bike is in good condition come April?

Btw I am completely new to this, please excuse any idiocy I may have spewed out.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
Welcome to the jungle.

Don't bother starting it if you're not riding it. Just fill the tank all the way to the top, add some Stabil, if so inclined. If you want throw it on a battery tender, too.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Why not wait until April to take delivery? That way your warranty clock won't start until you're actually able to ride it. The dealer won't add fluids and prep the bike until you're ready to receive it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why not wait until April to take delivery? That way your warranty clock won't start until you're actually able to ride it. The dealer won't add fluids and prep the bike until you're ready to receive it.
I thought about this but come on, I don't want to wait 3 agonizing months before I even get to look at it.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I thought about this but come on, I don't want to wait 3 agonizing months before I even get to look at it.
Yeah, but look at it is ALL you'll be able to do anyway. Start your life as a bike owner with a mature, logical decision.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Yeah, but look at it is ALL you'll be able to do anyway. Start your life as a bike owner with a mature, logical decision.
While that certainly is the logical choice no doubt he is all excited and deleriously happy about getting the bike....I know I was when I got my first motorcycle back in the stone age... damn the consequences type of excited..

Anyways--Do NOT start the bike

The best thing you can do with a new motorcycle or anything with an internal combustion engine is run it hard enough to seat the rings in the first 20 miles or so and then dump the oil/filter to get rid of all the machining grit and debris from actual tooling and assembly. Then just ride it "normally"

I am not saying beat the shit out of, but get it up to operating temperature and get the rings seated and get it home and while warm/hot dump the oil & filter

As far as your starting it once a week or whatever in the winter---all you are doing is introducing moisture to the crankcase and adding a whole lot of needless cold starts to the engine.
If you truly have 2.5-3 months before you can ride (you should have left it at the dealer to gain those months of warranty and it to be left in the crate safe and sound), pull the battery and bring it inside the house, (or the whole bike inside so you can admire it more...)--make sure the fuel tank is completely full (an ounce or two of STARTRON or TECHRON would be good to have in before topping off) and throw some sort of sheet or bike cover over it and let it sit where it is safe and out of the way til you can ride it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts