Sport Bikes banner
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Helicopter Inspector
186 Posts
They may not put any special break in oil for the first fill of the bike, but when they assemble the engine, they usually put a special grease on the camshaft lobes. One reason is to ensure there is lubrication there for the first critical seconds that the engine is fired, and the other is to help the lobes polish in properly to reduce friction down the line. I believe I've read in several reputable hot rodding mags that the grease has a small amount of extremely fine abrasive in it, kind of like buffing compound to aid in the polishing. Once this cam lube gets washed away by the oil, where can it go? It has to be floating around mixed in with the oil, though its extremely diluted, it still polishes and smoothes the other parts of the engine as it passes. The theory is sound right?

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
stoggy said:
they should put flashing lights, bells and whistles on the filter for when this happens.

If they did that, the oil filter price would increase by $5.00. :)

·
The Flying Finn
2,594 Posts
stoggy said:
they should put flashing lights, bells and whistles on the filter for when this happens.
I've had a filter bypass on my car before, no big deal... in fact I think the spring broke from bypassing so much cause when I pulled the filter and shook it, you could hear the valve flapping back and forth!!! lol

That car made it to 455,000 km, I used Castrol syntec, and I changed the oil about every 25,000 km... The only reason is shot a rod through the block was I sold the car to my buddy, and his dad drove it with no oil (had a pan gasket leak) and he kept driving it after it started overheating, and he kept driving it when it started to knock, and then one day BANG!!! lol If he just kept oil in it the thing would still be running.... good old Camry. :)

·
The Angry Blue Mantis!
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Poutanen said:
I've had a filter bypass on my car before, no big deal... in fact I think the spring broke from bypassing so much cause when I pulled the filter and shook it, you could hear the valve flapping back and forth!!! lol

That car made it to 455,000 km, I used Castrol syntec, and I changed the oil about every 25,000 km... The only reason is shot a rod through the block was I sold the car to my buddy, and his dad drove it with no oil (had a pan gasket leak) and he kept driving it after it started overheating, and he kept driving it when it started to knock, and then one day BANG!!! lol If he just kept oil in it the thing would still be running.... good old Camry. :)
Was it a 4 cylinder camry? Those motors are some of the best ever made.

·
The Flying Finn
2,594 Posts
FIZZER6 said:
Was it a 4 cylinder camry? Those motors are some of the best ever made.
Yeah, 4 cyl, base model '92 Camry... (5S-FE motor)...

That thing was bulletproof! I towed with it, was hard on the thing, wasn't very regular about changing the oil (though I did use synthetic)... it had decent power for a small motor in a big car too. That thing was great!!! :bowdown

I've always said if I ever need another car to run forever for very little money, I'll get another 92-96 4 cyl Camry.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Change it at 100-200 miles instead! :cheers

I just hit the 200 mile mark on my 2 month old FZ6. After reading several articles on motor oil's and motorcycle oils I decided to go against the owner's manual suggested 600 mile 1st oil change and change mine early...

Man am I glad I did! :)

I ran the bike to operating temp and drained the oil...it came out quite dark and had a good bit of metal particles in it as seen when the sun was shining on the oil! It looked about how motor oil coming out of my car looks after 3,000 miles with the addition of the fine metal flakes!

The one article I read that convinced me to do an early change said "...motorcycle engines are going to do 90% of their breaking in, shaving off bits of metal as the parts wear, during the first 100-200 miles...Why would you want all those metal shavings floating around in your engine for another 500 miles?!!" The condition of the oil after 200 miles proves this is true (unless my motor is just in terrible shape from the factory).

I plan to do the second change at 1,000 miles and then I'll go 2500 per change from there on out.
I change it at 600 miles over to synthetic, I don't do a soft break in, I break in the bike the way I intend to continue riding it. But everyone has their own way of doing it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yeah, 4 cyl, base model '92 Camry... (5S-FE motor)...

That thing was bulletproof! I towed with it, was hard on the thing, wasn't very regular about changing the oil (though I did use synthetic)... it had decent power for a small motor in a big car too. That thing was great!!! :bowdown

I've always said if I ever need another car to run forever for very little money, I'll get another 92-96 4 cyl Camry.
I have a 2013 Toyota Camry 2.4L, it has 119k miles so far. I did see a 2012 model 4 cylinder while I worked at Autozone that had 454k miles on it! I didn't believe it my buddy did end of taking a picture. The guy was a mobile sales rep went from state to state. He said just regular fluid changes nothing major.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts