Sport Bikes banner
41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
clockworkjon said:
I don't have to go back to the dealer I bought the bike from do I?
No. You can go to any Yamaha dealership.

You can also go to any licensed bike mechanic shop too. In my area stealerships charge $300 for the 600 mi checkup but there's a reputable shop near me that does the same for $150.

·
Just hanging brain.
2,686 Posts
What about the do it yourself method? I can change the oil no problem, but checking the fuel injectors and cables and things like that I don't know about. Everything on the bike feels fine. I don't have a lot of play in the levers or throttle, nothing is rattling, vibrating, knocking, or smoking. Would it be a bad idea to just change the oil and skip the $300 visit?

Or, any SE Wisconsin riders with shop/dealer recommendations please let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
177 Posts

·
Just hanging brain.
2,686 Posts
Ok, not to threadjack my previous threadjack, but where can I get a service manual?

Ok, back to my first threadjack. From the other threads it seems like most people lean towards doing their own service, but there doesn't seem to be a clear answer about voiding the warranty or screwing yourself down the road. Thoughts?

·
Fatass Ninja
598 Posts
I changed mine in my 250r at 230-something miles because the oil turned from translucent pissbrown to dark black. Replaced it with Repsol dino oil. I've only gott 300 miles on her though, but there hasn't been any metal flakes yet.

·
Just hanging brain.
2,686 Posts
Ok, I just read the owner's manual and it tells you how to do everything. So, I'm saving the $300 and doing it myself. They wouldn't tell you how to do all that then void your warranty for doing it. Thanks for the input everyone, you may now return to your previously started thread. :)

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
Having worked in the back in three shops I can tell you that, reliably, the 600 mile service consists of an oil/filter change and waving a hand over the tank while drinking a soda.
:eek:nfloor

When I took mine in, I specifically de-torqued a number of key bolts, loosened the clutch to the point of insanity, and set the chain so loose it was damn near falling off.

Every single thing was up to spec when they gave the bike back to me...my shop is one of the few you can trust.

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
Parabellum said:

When I took mine in, I specifically de-torqued a number of key bolts, loosened the clutch to the point of insanity, and set the chain so loose it was damn near falling off.

Every single thing was up to spec when they gave the bike back to me...my shop is one of the few you can trust.
I suspect they thought the bike was from Dateline. ;-)

·
The Angry Blue Mantis!
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Parabellum said:

So you paid a shop to fix things that you messed up yourself?

You really got them didn't you? :cheers

·
The Flying Finn
2,594 Posts
FIZZER6 said:
So you paid a shop to fix things that you messed up yourself?

You really got them didn't you? :cheers
No. He paid for the 600 mile service which includes checking the torque on specific bolts, chain tension, etc. It's good to see that one shop does it, I don't think mine did much of anything!

·
The Angry Blue Mantis!
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Poutanen said:
No. He paid for the 600 mile service which includes checking the torque on specific bolts, chain tension, etc. It's good to see that one shop does it, I don't think mine did much of anything!
Still doesn't make sense to pay for this 600 mile service. If you have the ability to loosen the chain and adjust the clutch yourself then you can adjust them to spec yourself too. Buy yourself a torque wench and save $100 in service charges. :beer

·
Sportbike.net junkie
1,242 Posts
AugieNYC said:
I was told by a Yamaha tech that the "break-in" oil is just thinner oil. I can't remember the viscosity or wgt... it was a long time ago.

modern engines dont use break in oil. They just topped off the bike with yamalube after putting it together.

·
Registered
254 Posts
clockworkjon said:
Ok, not to threadjack my previous threadjack, but where can I get a service manual?

Ok, back to my first threadjack. From the other threads it seems like most people lean towards doing their own service, but there doesn't seem to be a clear answer about voiding the warranty or screwing yourself down the road. Thoughts?
I actually bought mine from Rock River Powersports in Jefferson. I then moved to Boston and took the bike with me, so I never had any work done there, but the guys were very down to earth, seemed knowledgable. Hell, it's Jefferson, WI. Not like they're going to have an attitude. I'd give them a call, they're not far away from the Shaw.

As for the maintenance, I did mine on my own. At 600 I went to full synth and K&N filters (air and oil)... opinions on all that varies wildly... use whatever you like. But I checked everything out myself, and found no problems. I'm at 7,000 now and she runs perfectly. Until it gets to be Valve Checking Time, I do everything myself.

·
Just hanging brain.
2,686 Posts
Alright, I'm rejacking this thread again. I just did my own 600 mile service last night and it was easy as f***! I can't believe I almost paid $300 for that. The only thing I have to do is a torque check on the bolts, and I'm getting the wrench today. Thanks to another post I have the service manual that has more info than I can possibly digest, including torque figures. I'm not very mechanically inclined, but if I can do my own service, ANYONE can do their own service.

·
Registered
3 Posts
rennsport said:
Your bike's oil filter has a bypass valve that opens if the filter becomes clogged. So no, there is no reduced oil flow.
they should put flashing lights, bells and whistles on the filter for when this happens.

41 - 60 of 68 Posts