Sport Bikes banner
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Track Junkie
2,462 Posts
Magseal said:
Imagine engine breaking in like assfucking your gal for the first time.....nuff said.
LMAO!!! This could go back and fourth alot. Some people say a fast hard break in, others say follow the manual. As for the oil changing, I would follow the manual myself on it. Like another has said, they dont spend all that time figuring it out at Yamaha for nothin!

·
The Angry Blue Mantis!
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Magseal said:
The only way you'll know if you did the right thing is to keep riding. If your motor starts falling apart before anyone elses.....the verdict will be in.
The idea is not to break it in the fastest....you want parts to wear in at proper rate so that they fit together properly. When things are tight, they tend to overheat, hence the reason to keep the revs down to a low level.
Imagine engine breaking in like assfucking your gal for the first time.....nuff said.
Dude! I just about exploded coffee all over my monitor! :lao :lao :lao

Great analogy. I'll have to use that sometime. I realize that keeping the motor cool during break in is important and this is the main reason they recommend keeping revs down. All my riding has been done so far in sub 60 dehree F temps, motor temp gauge has never gone above 2 bars while I'm riding, with 20 and 30 degree windchills at speed I doubt the motor even needs water cooling!

Don't get me wrong, I have NOT ran this motor hard. I've just let the revs creep up a few times at 1/2 throttle and then let off the throttle to decel the bike in each gear like this. The motor right now sits at 223 miles and it's starting to feel smoother and better! I won't be going over 10K rpms or more than 1/2 throttle till the 1,000 mile mark. :cheers

·
The Angry Blue Mantis!
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
This is a really good discussion on oils: http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

I'd take it with a grain of salt, the writer is a bit opinionated but it's very solid information....
Choosing a Break-In Oil for Your Motorcycle
The theory that synthetic oils should not be used during break in is the same as the theory that your engine will break in better if you use synthetic oil but add a dinner candle to your four quarts of engine oil. Frankly, I find this theory, um, questionable. Oh, hell, laughable. Corvettes and Porsches come from the factory with Mobil-1 in their engines. Remember, these engineers have designed world-champion engines for F1, Indy, Le Mans 24 hours, etc.

There's a lot of mythology surrounding break-in oil. It's simply not the case that synthetic oils are more "slippery" than conventional oils. Also, break-in of a modern engine is completely different than break-in of an engine made before about 1980. Modern engines, by comparison to something made in the '60s, are pretty much already broken in from the factory due to the fact that today we hold much tighter machining tolerances. The exception, of course, would be the Ural, a motorcycle made on a production line unmodified since about 1935.

I recommend you change your break-in oil at 75 to 100 miles, 100 to 150 kilometers. Your engine does shed a fair amount of metal particles in the first 20-50 miles, and I really can't understand why you would want this stuff floating around your bearings for the first 600 miles, 1000 kilometers.

I put Shell Rotella "synthetic" (87% group III) oil in my DL650 at 75 miles. It burns no oil, gets great gas mileage, and runs great. I recommend you switch to a good synthetic at your first oil change.

·
The Angry Blue Mantis!
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I've found a lot of "what oil should I use" threads when I searched but very little talked about "breaking in" or "break in oil"

I'm done beating the horse now, thanks. :)

·
Roadman
511 Posts
FIZZER6 said:
I've found a lot of "what oil should I use" threads when I searched but very little talked about "breaking in" or "break in oil"

I'm done beating the horse now, thanks. :)
Now you'r talking!
Just ride it. :banana

·
Track Junkie
2,462 Posts
Ride it like you beat it? lmao!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Randomchaos said:
Ride it like you beat it? lmao!!!
Too Funny:eek:nfloor

·
Registered
315 Posts
Break-in threads
Oil threads
Britney Spears
Stephen Hawking's legs

Useless... Useless... Useless... Useless

I finally get why there are so many cranky guys on this forum! I've become one!

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
supergengo said:
Break-in threads
Oil threads
Britney Spears
Stephen Hawking's legs

Useless... Useless... Useless... Useless
Now that is harsh... And woody_k says I am unhappy :rolleyes Oh and Britney has been replaced by Anna Nicole Smith. I guess you did not receive the memo.

I finally get why there are so many cranky guys on this forum! I've become one!
The oil thread is the NEW constant in the universe, well the internet anyway...

·
Registered
985 Posts
jim schmidt said:
Beyond that, it would be impossible to clog any filter in 600 or 6,000 miles.

nothings impossible.

·
Registered
985 Posts
FIZZER6 said:
+2!!! I'm done worring about it...I rode to work today, it was 41 degrees when I left for my 23 mile one way trek. I was warm the whole way! Getting up to 75 this afternoon!

I can say this, the clutch definitely fells smoother and more solid.

I think the main reason that my oil looked so bad after just 200 miles was that I took the advice of my coworker (I former SS bike competition rider) and broke the motor in a little differently than the manual says.

I reved it to 8 and 10K after 50 miles...I would wind up each gear to 8 or 10K and then let off the throttle to decelerate the bike. I was told that you have to get the revs up to properly seat the piston rings...letting off the throttle in the gear and decelerating would help suck oil back up and then repeat. I never even touched 6th gear until 100 miles. I got only 30 mpg on my first tank. I think my 200 mile motor is as broken in as most 500 mile motors would be if you followed the owner's manual. Did I do the right thing? We could debate it all day.

Now I just want to ride! :)

Someones been reading motune/motoman.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm just a tick over 600 miles and my oil is still as clear as when it was new. Its going in for its initial service this friday :banana .

·
Registered
816 Posts
Fleksta said:
I'm just a tick over 600 miles and my oil is still as clear as when it was new. Its going in for its initial service this friday :banana .
Mine was too.

Fizzer6... I think someone shit in your crankcase.

·
The Flying Finn
2,594 Posts
th12t33n said:
nothings impossible.
Holy thread from the dead, batman!!!! :banana :eek:nfloor :neener

·
The Angry Blue Mantis!
1,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Yea thanks for bringing it back fockers! :lao

Well I'm at 3,500 miles on the bike now and she still burns no oil and I'm running Rotella T Synthetic 5W40 now and the oil looks great at my last change.

I can't say how much I've enjoyed this bike this summer in only 3,500 miles! :bowdown

Thank you Yamaha. :cheers

·
Just hanging brain.
2,686 Posts
Ok, I'm gonna sort of threadjack here. I'm due for my first 600mi service, and the dealership wants $300. How badly am I getting screwed and can I do everything myself? I'm fairly mecahnically inclined and my motorcycling friend is a major gearhead and a mechanical engineer. I'd prefer to do my own service, but thought the first one should be done professionally. Thoughts?

:feedback

·
Registered
152 Posts
My dealership quoted me $120 max for my upcoming initial service. They told me its just a basic oil change, chain lube, and general check-over to make sure all is well.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I wouldn't think so. I'd still take it to a Yamaha place though, I think my tech said they report the service for warranty purposes.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts