Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I had a deposit on a 2013 aprilia RSV4R ARPC ABS. Then I made the mistake today of stopping at my BMW dealer and the girlfriend and I sat on a bunch of bikes. I didn't have time to ride any, even though they offered to let me take what I want. The girlfriend likes the S1000RR better then the aprilia. It's $3k more though, and you have to add the quick shift and traction control. Both bikes the ABS is standard. The BMW also had heated grips. :D Shockingly, she also liked the looks of the BMW over the aprilia. She said the BMW was more comfortable to sit on, but we'd have to ride it.

So which one? I'm thinking its leaning BMW at this point. I'm anxious to ride it as the V4 was very impressive and it's been a while since I rode a I-4. I've always leaned towards twins. Hmmmm....

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Heated grips are nice, but I'd probably go with the Aprilia over the Beemer just to say 'Fuck You" to BMW for quitting WSB.

·
The cake is a lie
10,153 Posts
Between the two I would take the BMW.

I am making this decision based on nothing other than that the bmw is pretty and the aprilia is boring.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
I find the BMW much more comfy from a rider's POV, but dunno about the passenger... But definitely it has to be more comfortable than the Ape.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Bmw per peoples reviews who have owned both. Get your deposit back and tell them you need the money for your law student sister who needs surgery asap. People who have owned many sipersports rave about the s1000rr like no other bike. Thats what I considered greatly.

I consider it very street friendly and a super supersport....very balamced in many ways.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I find the BMW much more comfy from a rider's POV, but dunno about the passenger... But definitely it has to be more comfortable than the Ape.
Thanks Tod. We both liked how the BMW felt. At least sitting still.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'd stick with the Aprilia, it's $3k cheaper and has all the electronic goodies, heated grips are a cheap mod.

·
Registered
156 Posts
V4 > I4. The s1000rr is just a german form of the gsxr, nothing special about it. The aprilia is an Italian masterpiece, and the sound track can't be beat. Honestly think the chassis is a better design on the rsv4 as well, top end horsepower is the only thing the bmw has going for it. When I see an S1000rr on the street I say, oh look another s1000. I haven't EVER seen an RSV4 on the street, so if I did see one, I'd say to myself, holy shit. Decisions decisions, wish I had your problems!

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Damn you and your motorcycle dilemmas.

I'd get the Aprilia. It is not as common as the BMW, although neither is as common as the Jap liters.

In reality, and no offense intended, but I doubt you could ride to either bikes potential. Get the one that stirs your soul...

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Damn you and your motorcycle dilemmas.

I'd get the Aprilia. It is not as common as the BMW, although neither is as common as the Jap liters.

In reality, and no offense intended, but I doubt you could ride to either bikes potential. Get the one that stirs your soul...
Exactly. I'm an aprilia guy at heart and the V4 is incredible. Damn, it's tough. :D The aprilia's are still having tank swelling issues as my RSV did. That's a bummer. It seems the aprilia might be a better street bike engine wise but the BMW was more comfortable to sit on at least.

Here is the RSV4R:

Attachments

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And the S1000RR:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
RSV4, the little woman shouldn't be on that bike, anyways. It's a racerep. :p That's why she has her 250 and you have your R1200ST. The RSV4 is for you. :D (Wish I could get one. The dreaded dealer support argument means little when the dealership is 4 miles from my house. Sucks about the gas tank, though.)

·
King of the Hopeless
1,132 Posts
I am sure that your GF is wonderful, but unless she is going to be your wife, you should be getting what you want. How many times do men make decisions in life based upon what the GF wants (and not what they want) only to lose the GF.

I think I would go for the Aprilia. They clean up in WSBK and BMW is still playing catchup in racebike development - if that sort of thing matters to you.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
The sound of the RSV4 with exhaust is almost as sexy as your girlfriend.

The Beemer produces a dime a dozen sound.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
I think the S1000RR makes for a better street bike as, at least for me, the ergos are more relaxed and the bike feels "roomier"... For a sportbike. Then there is the fact that it has a real passenger seat, which is one of the considerations. On the other hand, the rear "seat" of the RSV4 is the epitome of "afterthought"...

Eventhough I'm not a fan of BMW Motorrad, they do know a few things about ergonomics and their bikes feel "natural", rider oriented. After all, they have been building long distance bikes for quite a while (I can't understand why they haven't figured out how to make a reliable final drive).

And then there is the Aprilia's stupid plastic tank that will swell.

Oh, lets not forget about dealer support and parts availability.

Last but not least, both bikes are more capable than 99.9% of the riders.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
Honda CBR 500R :flamed

I vote Aprilia. Don't let a "girlfriend" make you the decisions for you. YOU are making the payments. SHE has a bike, let her ride her's.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
The RSV4 is a torture rack. It a cool bike, but after ten to fifteen miles, I was ready to get my Speed Triple back.

Also, if you want a full exhaust or a power commander, the RSV4 is a son of bitch to put either one in.

But if you're keeping one of your other bikes, the V4 is a really cool bike. I think it would make an awesome second bike. Just not my only bike.

My only S1000 experience is sitting on one. I think it looks like hell, but it's definitely comfortable.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
You already know my answer.

But, in case you may have forgotten which I would take in a heartbeat, here is a reminder in the form of a little beauty that was about 50 ft down from me at MPH this past weekend....

But yes, the S1000RR IS the better street bike of the two BY FAR.

Best of luck with the decision!

-Christian

1 - 20 of 36 Posts