Sport Bikes banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i just got a new to me bike (used) and im having charging issues i thought it might have been the battery went bad because the bike had sit for 8 or so months oh its a 92 suzuki bandit 400 picked it up from roncdrcr so i put a new battery in it and things were fine for 4 or 5 starts and it was dead again so now im on to testing wires and so on i know how to do all the test but i dont know what i should be reading on the meter during each of the test so any help would be awesome or if there is something else i should look for and go ahead and test

oh and here is the new bike

Attachments

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Test the charge while the bike is running, it shoulb around 12.8 volts i beleive.
if its low you have a chargeing issue. i forget how long you said it sat, but another possibility could be some mouse action. check for some loose or cut wires. If it sat outside check for corroaded plugs.

·
Buffalo Street Hero
202 Posts
Try putting it on a battery tender and giving it a full charge. After this ride it around a bit, let it sit for a while (couple hours or a day), and then try to start it again. Like stated above, if you are just starting it, letting it run for a few seconds, and turning it off there is a good chance that is killing the battery.

And I'm not usually the grammar police, but for god sakes man use a period every once in a while.

·
Registered
833 Posts
First, nice bike. The little bandit is a bit of a cult bike like the old Hawk. I had a Bandit 1200 once that I streetfightered.

Second, I had a charging issue once on my Triumph, turned out to be the regulator / alternator. Try charging the battery to rule out the possibility that you had a weak battery rather than a true charging issue. If it still dies, especially if it dies while riding, then chances are you have a charging issue. If you have a meter you can also check if you're bike's draining or charging your bike.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Electrical
Important: One must remember that all of the electricity going into a component must come out and back to battery. So grounds are just as important as positive wires. Use a trouble light to check for power. If you have power with a trouble light it may be a bad ground since the trouble light has uses a different ground than the tested component.

Charging issues
Battery goes dead after sitting overnight
Charge battery overnight
Clean battery terminals
Check battery water level (the Walmart service free batteries run out of water)
Replace battery

Battery goes dead during ride
If bike has permanent magnet (it will have 3 yellow wires (not always) coming from alternator cover).
Note: Check general condition of any visible wires unplug and replug connectors on charging circuit to clean off corroded terminals (it’s yanking at straws but sometimes it helps.
At 3k the bike should put out +13.5V at the battery
Check resistance of coils (maintenance manual helps here to get the proper ohms). Use voltmeter on AC setting and check output of each wire while bike runs. At about 5k RPM it should read +50V. If not replace stator.
If stator checks OK see what the DC volts output is at the voltage regulator. Should be +13.5V at 3kRPM. If not replace regulator

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the imput guys well ron pmed me and told me he had battery issues as well and just plugged the bike in every night and never thought anymore of it

so i thought it was a bad battery as stated first so i put a brand new fully charged one in it and like i said it was fine started up and i rode where i was goin 20 min ride or so and it was fine for 4 or so more starts and rides to where i was goin and then it was dead so now im goin to check the rectifier and the stator

thanks veefor for the info and are you coming up for bikeweek if so hit me up and come hang out

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
bodydropcbr6 said:
thanks for the imput guys well ron pmed me and told me he had battery issues as well and just plugged the bike in every night and never thought anymore of it

so i thought it was a bad battery as stated first so i put a brand new fully charged one in it and like i said it was fine started up and i rode where i was goin 20 min ride or so and it was fine for 4 or so more starts and rides to where i was goin and then it was dead so now im goin to check the rectifier and the stator

thanks veefor for the info and are you coming up for bikeweek if so hit me up and come hang out
I was there yesterday to deliver my sold bike. The weather was pretty bad, cold and rainy. I stopped doing bike week, after going 10 tears in a row due to time constraints. I use my time now to do track days at Jennings. Thanks for the invite.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts