Sport Bikes banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone , im Dennis from orlando , fl and im currently looking to buy a bike , but i basically know nothing about riding.im really confused about which model should be a good one for someone like me. i was told a yamaha r6 would be a nice bike to learn an even for a little more experienced rider. What do you guys recommend? and also where can i find riding lessons here in orlando.

·
Go-Cart Mozart
3,177 Posts
Invest in a flame retardant suit, it may get warm here.

·
Old school fool
1994 CB 1000
5,725 Posts
Why would anyone flame this guy? He is here telling us what advice he was given and asking us if we think the advice was good or not. I don't think that is cause for any kind of odd responses. This isn't like the other thread where I have let you guys have a little fun - real legit questions should be treated with respect. Remember, Mod is watching.

Dennis, start by reading the stickies posted at the top of the forum. Then, use the search function to look for similar threads on the same subject. Once you start getting a clear picture of the advice being given, check through the Riders' Resumes to see who is giving the advice.

You will find that the majority of experience people on here don't recommend any kind of 600 in line four as a first bike. I take it a little farther, I say that if you are not a competent driver who is past the stage where you have a lot of close calls or accidents - especially accidents that aren't your fault - then I think you should avoid bikes altogether until you get a handle on safe driving first.

·
Premium Member
45,772 Posts
+1 to what tmkreutzer said.

Also, it would be a good idea to take the MSF course first, before you buy a bike. That way, if you decide bikes are not for you, then you haven't spent a bunch of money on a bike that you now need to get rid of.

There are a few places in the Orlando area you can take the course. You can visit MSF's website for more info.

I took the course at ACE in Sanford the year before last. I've had my endorsement since '89 (and still got something from the class), but I went with a friend who was just starting and didn't know how to ride at all. They did a great job teaching her the basics, and she went from knowing nothing to being able to ride the whole course with zero problems in two days.

After you take the class and know for sure that motorcycling is your cup of tea, you can start looking for a bike. Then you'll have better insight as to what bike is right for you.

I'll let someone else go into the details of what bikes are good to start on, but generally speaking, something with less power and a more upright sitting position than the R6 you mentioned (or any other 600+ inline 4 sportbike) would be a better learning tool for the first couple of seasons.

·
All right meow...
2,719 Posts
Like has already been said, read the stickies and use the search button for whatever comes up.

It hasn't been hit on yet, but make sure you understand all the risks involved. Nothing may ever happen or you may find yourself in a world of hurt. I'm not trying to disuade you, just know what is involved. This is a great hobby or way of life, just make sure you are fully educated and decide accordingly.

Get gear and use it. If you have questions about gear use the search button or ask questions.

I'm sure others will chime in as well.

Good luck on your choices.

·
Registered
18,622 Posts
vltndennis said:
i was told a yamaha r6 would be a nice bike to learn an even for a little more experienced rider.
Well, unfortunately, you've been getting some bad info on the R6. Yamaha itself says it's engineered for experienced riders. Not to mention it's a racebike with lights and it's pretty crappy for a daily rider.

Please read the stickies in this forum, as they give you some good reasons to start smaller and a better idea of what you should do to learn how to ride.

We also have a lot of people on here from the Orlando area and I'm sure they'd be happy to help you out as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanx for all the info guys , i did some reading last night after i made the post , i just wanted to introduce myself im really looking forward to be a part of the forums and have my 1st bike. once again thank you

·
Site Sponsor
1,639 Posts
vltndennis said:
Thanx for all the info guys , i did some reading last night after i made the post , i just wanted to introduce myself im really looking forward to be a part of the forums and have my 1st bike. once again thank you
Welcome to the forums! Check out the stickies in the newbies area. And dont sweat the heat in here.. it's just a LOT of new people come in and ask the same question without reading the stickies first.

Again, welcome!

·
Duc(k)
2,001 Posts
Once again read the stickies. My vote for a first bike goes to the GS500. Thats what I started on and I loved it. You could not ask for a better bike.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts