Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
One dealership is listing the new bike at MSRP and the used bike at what they would like to get. The other dealership is showing a bottom-dollar price. There's also the potential of substantial fees to be added (depending on the dealer, but looks like a clean deal).

Most likely, unless one of those two dealers is run by a total idiot, both new bikes will be within a couple hundred bucks OTD.

The used one is always a wildcard. Depends what the salesman who made the trade brought it in at and how much used inventory the dealership likes to have. You'll know how negotiable they are on the used one by going in and asking about the new bike. If the salesman takes you to the used one with a "slammin' deal," they bought it right. If he doesn't say a word, they screwed themselves on trade and you're not gonna be getting a good deal.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One dealership is listing the new bike at MSRP and the used bike at what they would like to get. The other dealership is showing a bottom-dollar price. There's also the potential of substantial fees to be added (depending on the dealer, but looks like a clean deal).

Most likely, unless one of those two dealers is run by a total idiot, both new bikes will be within a couple hundred bucks OTD.

The used one is always a wildcard. Depends what the salesman who made the trade brought it in at and how much used inventory the dealership likes to have. You'll know how negotiable they are on the used one by going in and asking about the new bike. If the salesman takes you to the used one with a "slammin' deal," they bought it right. If he doesn't say a word, they screwed themselves on trade and you're not gonna be getting a good deal.

This would be the second bike I buy from "xtreme machines" if I decided to. When I went there a few days ago, the new 2012 ZX-6r had a price of 9499. When i asked if they had ANY 2011s he said no. This was only a test because I KNEW there was a 2011 used at the front of the store.

So
Xtreme Machines is selling new for 9499 and rizzon is selling it for 7999. So you're saying that xtreme machines has other included fees in the price and Rizzon does not? Bringing the otd price around the same?

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
This would be the second bike I buy from "xtreme machines" if I decided to. When I went there a few days ago, the new 2012 ZX-6r had a price of 9499. When i asked if they had ANY 2011s he said no. This was only a test because I KNEW there was a 2011 used at the front of the store.

So
Xtreme Machines is selling new for 9499 and rizzon is selling it for 7999. So you're saying that xtreme machines has other included fees in the price and Rizzon does not? Bringing the otd price around the same?
My guess is, you'll find a price some place in the middle. But you never know.

I'm about seven years removed from selling motorcycles, but 600's had about $1,100 in margin back then. There's also hold back and potential rebates/ spiffs, but I don't have any idea of what they would be.

In this economy, it's good to have dealer loyalty, if they want to be loyal to you. I would call the other dealer and ask for an OTD price. Give your local dealer a chance to price-match, if you like them. If not, buy from the other place.

The last new bike I bought, was an SR50. I found one 200 miles away in Maryland for $2,099. My local dealer had one for $3,699 ($500 over MSRP). I told that I doubt price matching is out of the question, but do they want to talk. The saleswoman walked away from me (Team Effort Cycle, Wilkes-Barre, PA). I bought it for $2,099 200 miles away.

Now in the case of my scooter, manufacturers will import x number of bikes to the US. Dealer will order X number of each model. Therefore, some years, dealers can't get some models, in other years, the warehouse is over-loaded. Some time the manufacturers will sell old warehoused models to dealers for far less than the normal invoice. That's what Aprilia did with my scooter, for example.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My guess is, you'll find a price some place in the middle. But you never know.

I'm about seven years removed from selling motorcycles, but 600's had about $1,100 in margin back then. There's also hold back and potential rebates/ spiffs, but I don't have any idea of what they would be.

In this economy, it's good to have dealer loyalty, if they want to be loyal to you. I would call the other dealer and ask for an OTD price. Give your local dealer a chance to price-match, if you like them. If not, buy from the other place.

The last new bike I bought, was an SR50. I found one 200 miles away in Maryland for $2,099. My local dealer had one for $3,699 ($500 over MSRP). I told that I doubt price matching is out of the question, but do they want to talk. The saleswoman walked away from me (Team Effort Cycle, Wilkes-Barre, PA). I bought it for $2,099 200 miles away.

Now in the case of my scooter, manufacturers will import x number of bikes to the US. Dealer will order X number of each model. Therefore, some years, dealers can't get some models, in other years, the warehouse is over-loaded. Some time the manufacturers will sell old warehoused models to dealers for far less than the normal invoice. That's what Aprilia did with my scooter, for example.
I'm going to do exactly that. I'm going to ask the OTD price and see if the dealer I WANT to be loyal to will match te price. I hope to get all of my bikes from this dealer I go to. They're very nice people. The feeling of getting my 250 was amazing. He rolled it out of the front doors, put a " do not sit " sticker on it until I was there I pick it up. He helped me strap it into the van and I brought it home. I hope to have the same wonderful experience that I had with that dealer the first time. This time ill be riding it home :)

Thanks or your input. I appreciate it. This forum a year ago helped me make the right choice in choosing the ninja 250 as my first bike. I take everything this forum tells me into consideration. I hope I take all you guys taught me and put it into my next several decisions for there are many to make when considering a new or used bike. Thank you!

Reactions: Tony216
1 - 5 of 5 Posts