Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I asked this question in a reply so I thought I would post it up in a new thread...

I changed my front & rear sprockets and chain today. Everything went pretty good but when I went to take it out for a test ride the neutral light stayed on. Even when going for a nice little ride... through every gear, the light was still on.

Also, the kill switch for the Kickstand isn't working. I didn't mess with any of the wiring when I changed the sprockets & chain. Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
You might not of messed with it but I'd check the wiring for the kill switch and neutral light. Side stand switches tend to get full of road grime and chain lube (depending on the individual design of the bike). Probally worth giving the area a general clean and scrub although if the bike thinks its in neutral all the time (through the neutral light) it won't kill the engine when you put the sidestand down.

·
Speed Racer
1,650 Posts
Neutral lights are normally inside the engine/tranny cases. The wires are exposed...could you have bumped some wires or a connector pulled off?

The kill switch for the kickstand will not work if the switch thinks the bike is in neutral.

You have one problem. Its with the neutral light sensor/connectors.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I know that there was a lot of lube on the chain I put on. I'll give it a good clean. We check the wires, moved them around, but nothing.

Thanks for the help!

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Does the neutral switch wiring come out of the transmission around the front sprocket cover?

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
If you pinched the neutral switch wire, it may be grounded out, giving a false neutral signal. Look for pinched wires.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RAYOSV... Yep it does come out of the tranny and around the front sprocket cover. What is the best stuff to clean that area and the sidestand switch with?

I'm going to check for some pinched wires too. I have been looking around in there all day and haven't seen anything out of the ordinary. Obviously I did something, so hopefully I'll figure it out soon. Thanks for all the advice. It brought a lot of stuff to light that I would have never thought of.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
RAYOSV... Yep it does come out of the tranny and around the front sprocket cover. What is the best stuff to clean that area and the sidestand switch with?

I'm going to check for some pinched wires too. I have been looking around in there all day and haven't seen anything out of the ordinary. Obviously I did something, so hopefully I'll figure it out soon. Thanks for all the advice. It brought a lot of stuff to light that I would have never thought of.
I had to pull the starter from my KZ to fish out a bolt I dropped :rolleyes, when I replaced everything and went to start the bike, the oil light stayed on constantly. Oil level was fine, and it started this right after I did the starter. Turned out I had pinched the oil pressure light wire between the starter - had to pull the starter again, move the wire, tape it up, then all was well.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Not sure exactly how your bike is wired, but since this is a safety switch (neutral detect), it should be fail-safe. That means if the wire is open, it will never sense neutral. However, if shorted to ground (like pinched to the engine case), it would always detect neutral. As tuffguy said, if the neutral sensor is always detecting neutral, the side stand switch doesn't matter. I'd definitely look for a pinched neutral sensor wire and forget about the side stand switch for now. Fixing neutral will likely make the side stand switch work as it should again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts