Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When was the neutral finder started for the ninjas. I have a 2000 ZX6R and I don't think it is working. I just found out about this little dohhicky and I have trouble finding neutral. Sometimes when I am completely stopped I can't get it into neutral despite putting it in first a few times and trying to just pop it into neutral real easy. Also, one time I went to shift it into 2nd and it missed neutral and second and I got a grinding. Been riding ever since just fine but now there is a clicking when starting off in first. Ever heard of this. I will be taking it in but just curious about the neutral finder. If it was or is broken can it cause b***** problems? I got the extended warranty and the bike has low miles so I am wondering what the deal it. Thanks for any advise.
Later
 

·
Swollen Member
Joined
·
745 Posts
The Positive Neutral Finder has been in use (in some form, at least) since 1988, when I lusted after a Eliminator 250. I have heard that sometimes this feature has trouble, but not apparently enough for knowledge to be widespread.

Either that, or the subforums don't get enough traffic...

D
 

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
Joined
·
8,369 Posts
I'm about to get a 1991 EX500, would this bike have such a N finder??? Explain the N finder a little more if you could.
 

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
Joined
·
8,369 Posts
Yeah the MSF instructor tonight told me that pretty much every bike has it, in some form. Half click between 1st and 2nd.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
968 Posts
Spike said:
I'm about to get a 1991 EX500, would this bike have such a N finder??? Explain the N finder a little more if you could.
Yes. I ride a '91 EX500. Under ideal circumstances it allows for easily finding neutral from a dead stop regardless of the gear you are in. Makes it so you don't have to tap down to 1st, then up to neutral. You just tap up half instead full to find neutral if you were in another gear other than first.

I never use the feature but it doesn't tend to be a problem that it's there.
 

·
Cheap Bastid
Joined
·
6,366 Posts
Spike said:
Yeah the MSF instructor tonight told me that pretty much every bike has it, in some form. Half click between 1st and 2nd.
this is something different... the thing he's thinking of is a mechanism w/in the transmision that doesn't allow the bike to shift beyond N when you're at a dead stop.... well... technically it'll go up TO 2nd (i believe) but it'll fall back into N when you're not moving (or going really slow)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
968 Posts
2000NinjaZX6R said:
When was the neutral finder started for the ninjas. I have a 2000 ZX6R and I don't think it is working. I just found out about this little dohhicky and I have trouble finding neutral. Sometimes when I am completely stopped I can't get it into neutral despite putting it in first a few times and trying to just pop it into neutral real easy. Also, one time I went to shift it into 2nd and it missed neutral and second and I got a grinding. Been riding ever since just fine but now there is a clicking when starting off in first. Ever heard of this. I will be taking it in but just curious about the neutral finder. If it was or is broken can it cause b***** problems? I got the extended warranty and the bike has low miles so I am wondering what the deal it. Thanks for any advise.
Later
Old oil can cause weird issues like what you're having. I'd change the oil. Check your clutch adjustment and shifter adjustment. If that doesn't do, then take it in. Hell, you've got a warranty, take it in anyway!
 

·
Cheap Bastid
Joined
·
6,366 Posts
Oni said:
Yes. I ride a '91 EX500. Under ideal circumstances it allows for easily finding neutral from a dead stop regardless of the gear you are in. Makes it so you don't have to tap down to 1st, then up to neutral. You just tap up half instead full to find neutral if you were in another gear other than first.

I never use the feature but it doesn't tend to be a problem that it's there.
looks like we have different ideas on how this thing works..... you're saying that if i come to a complete stop & i'm in 4th gear i can supposedly just do 1/2 a click up towards 5th & it'll go into N?.......................................... hmm.... never heard of that so i don't think so... but who knows, i'll give it a shot

i do know from experience and i've also read in my owners manual that the neutral finder functions like i described above, which is when you're at a dead stop it will not go from 1st past N & to 2nd... it'll only go from 1st to N
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
968 Posts
OreoGaborio said:
looks like we have different ideas on how this thing works..... you're saying that if i come to a complete stop & i'm in 4th gear i can supposedly just do 1/2 a click up towards 5th & it'll go into N?.......................................... hmm.... never heard of that so i don't think so... but who knows, i'll give it a shot

i do know from experience and i've also read in my owners manual that the neutral finder functions like i described above, which is when you're at a dead stop it will not go from 1st past N & to 2nd... it'll only go from 1st to N
You're right. It's not supposed to go from 1st to 2nd from a dead stop. It's supposed to stop at N. I always try to be in first when stopped so I haven't shifted from a gear other than 1st in some time (can't remember when the last time was). The next time I ride I'll try shifting to N from another gear at a stop and see what happens. Either it's another part of the feature or my tranny is f'ed.
 

·
Cheap Bastid
Joined
·
6,366 Posts
yeah i really dont think it'll go from 2nd 3rd etc to N... i've never heard of that before. it's a sequential transmission, i dont even think it's physically possible w/o some kinda weird ass engineering. but i'm not terribly familiar w/ the inner workings of bike trannies
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
968 Posts
Oreo - I guess my tranny is working perfectly. Couldn't force it into 2nd. from 1st. at a dead stop. Wouldn't go past N everytime. I could only hit N from 1st and no other gears. Thanks for the correction.
 

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
Joined
·
8,369 Posts
*nods* cool, looks like you guys figured it out. Thanks a lot :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey, yeah, thanks for the responses. No more problems lately. I had tried to find neutral once when it was in a higher gear and it didn't work but as long as I am shifted all the way into first by the time I am at a complete stop it always goes into neutral and that is if I even try to pull up a full click. So I guess it is fine.
thanks
N
 

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
Joined
·
8,369 Posts
So just try to always have it in 1st before you come to a complete stop and the N Finder should work pretty well?
 

·
Cheap Bastid
Joined
·
6,366 Posts
that's it... pretty much all bike transmissions don't really shift well when they're at a standstill so do your downshifting while you're braking. as long as the bike is in 1st when you're stopped it should pop into neutral w/o any problem of goin to 2nd gear.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top