Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I currently have two computers hooked up to a router, which in turn is hooked up to my cable modem. Everything is fine as far as the internet is concerned. I read somewhere that it is possible to link up the two computers with the router, using the uplink (me thinks)? Then just telling computer A what computer B IP address is and I will be able to pull files off of it. Basically, I want to burn some MP3s that I have stored on one computer, but it no longer has a cd burner. My other computer does have a burner, just not the MP3s. I just want to transfer them over so I can burn them off. Any way I can do this with my current setup?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They aren't setup as a network. All that is happening is I am basically splitting my cable internet line. Neither computer "sees" each other, all they see is the internet.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Depending on what version(s) of Windows you're running, you can create shared devices (printers etc.), folders, drives, etc. I have a similar set-up to yours (4 port router and cable modem) with an old PC running W98 and a newer one running WXP and it seems to work fine. Printers are physically connected to the old PC, CD burner on the newer one, and shared devices and files. You should at least be able to set up a shared folder on the old PC that the newer one with the CD burner can access. You may have to move all of the MP-3 files of interest into this shared folder. HTH

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
What OS are you using...2000, NT, XP???
I had to pull off something similar for a friend and I didn't know where to start. So I clicked on the Start button and then Help....type in network....or shared files and it will step you through the settings...

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeppers, thats what I finally ended up doing. Got it up and running now. So... how do I keep my network secure from the internet?

·
Smiley Gladhands
3,050 Posts
perfectd3 said:
Yeppers, thats what I finally ended up doing. Got it up and running now. So... how do I keep my network secure from the internet?
having a router, you are actually pretty well protected. since both of your computers have 192.168.*.* IP addresses, it would be a little difficult for someone to hack them.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
perfectd3 said:
Glad it worked out for you!! If you register the IP address of the router (rather than one of the PC's) with your ISP, your PC's will be better protected. Look in the help/customer service section of your ISP home page for how to do this.

·
Registered
842 Posts
you really want to change the admin password fpr your router. I weez on at least two different peoples bandwidth in my apt complex so far since they didnt secure their wireless router. in theory i can open port forwarding on their router and access their box if i wanted but i just need internet access sometimes when im haivng probs or whatever...

if its wireless disable the broadcast and enable "wep" theres instructions for all routers out there...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts