Sport Bikes banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, about a month ago, the wife was backing her bike out of the driveway and as soon as the rear tire rolled down the sidewalk, she lost her balance and the bike went down. The only damage was a small scratch on the side and a bent break lever.

Being that I don't ride the bike, I am not familiar with the break system. Lately, when we go riding the wife has me back out her bike, in fear that she is going to drop it again. I have noticed lately that I'll start the bike, let it warm up for a moment and then start to back it down. The weird part to me is that I have to pump the breaks 5-10 times before the lever has any pressure build up. Is this normal for an F4i, or could the Master cylinder be damaged? I know the bike landed directly on the lever, but I am wandering if the before the lever bent, it placed some pressure on the cylinder and could have created an internal leak or crack?

If having to pump the breaks before pressure is built up is not normal, how hard is it to replace the master cylinder? Can I just purchase a new one, bleed the breaks, replace the cylinder and then fill the breaks back up? Unfortunately, breaks are not my thing.

Thanks a bunch for the help.

Kev

·
They call me a ride whore
1,387 Posts
That's definitely not normal... shouldn't have to pump the brakes at all to get them to work. Start with the easy stuff first and bleed the brakes real good and see if it helps any. If not, the master cylinder is most likely damaged (did you replace the lever?). You can just get a new master cylinder, bench bleed it and put it in and bleed the system again.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, that is what I was afraid of. I did replace the lever. Also last night, I popped off the cover to the resevoir and just made sure it was in one piece and looked ok. This morning after placing the cover back on, the brakes seem ok. I'll give them a till this afternoon and if they seemed jacked up still, guess i"ll get it into the dealer..erggg...

Thanks again,

Kev

1 - 3 of 3 Posts