Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a '09 SV650SF, for which I am desiring more power and better suspension, and have decided its time to move up. I have been riding the SV for the past 2 years and have put around 10k miles on it. I have owned a FZR 600 before that and put 16,xxx miles in three years.

I am trying to decide whether to buy a 2008 CBR600RR for around $5600 or go for alittle older and cheaper 600 as I intend to do some track days. I do not make a ton of money and still in the beginning stage of my computer career. I would be doing but maybe 1-3 track days next year. I am in th I realize I need to do track days, as my skills are not where I would like them to be. I am not trying to race, only improve my skill and ability. I would not like to crash a more expensive bike and have it depreciate more than a cheaper bike, I would use sliders handlebars/swing arm/frame.

- Would a cheaper bike be better then upgrade a year or two to a liter bike or better street bike? Or spend the money on the newer '08.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,883 Posts
Get the 07-12 600RR. Bikes depreciate, new parts don't, so it will be just as expensive to wreck, say a '04 600RR, than a 08. The newer bike is more common, that means you'll have an easier time finding parts for it on e-bay from wreckers, that will make it cheaper to put back on two wheels than the older bike.

Start doing your trackdays and save for some track fairings, frame sliders and case protectors. You won't be pushing it that hard in the beginning.

·
King of the Hopeless
1,132 Posts
I'm going to throw out something a little different. With that SV you already have an incredible bike that can be made into a track weapon with much much less money than you plan on spending on the Honda. A GSXR front end can be put on that bike and with a better shock in the back - boom - you have the perfect track bike that is also highly raceable in tons of different organizations.

I know from experience that the more powerful the bike, the more it eats tires - especially if you do trackdays. My suggestion to you is that the SV will with a few modifications teach you more about how to ride fast and well than a 600SS. Ask me how many times that I have seen guys on SV's and 250's crush and embarrass guys with liter bikes on the track - the number is legion.

I know that you want the 600 - but just do a little research in how little you have to spend to make the SV into a weapon.

·
Giant on a Motorcycle
1,491 Posts
I was in the same boat when I had my SV 650. What it came down to though was the money I would have spent with the gsxr front end and rear shock and other upgrades I wanted I could have an already setup 600 supersport for the same price.

Its up to you. If you aren't going to be doing that many trackdays I would go for the newer 600rr

You can try and find some crashed OEM plastics for cheap to put on when you do trackdays and save your pretty ones for the street.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
Can you do both? Keep the SV for the track (great track bike) and get another bike (although a SS wouldn't be my street bike)?

If you are going to do an appreciable amount of track days, a dedicated track bike makes life a lot easier. I know you said 1-3 per year, but in my experience you'll want to do more.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My SV650SF is worth about $4250 and I have priced the upgraded suspension to cost around $1200 to $1300 with using Traxxion Front Internals and Rear Penske. This is about the same as a 600RR upgrade. Unfortunately, I cannot keep both bikes, I am limited in my budget with that and track days. In 3 to 4 years more hopefully, with better jobs.

·
King of the Hopeless
1,132 Posts
What you are saying makes sense and a 600 is going to be more powerful than the SV no doubt - and there is fun in that.

I don't think you are thinking about tires and insurance rates too. SV will be cheaper than the 600. Also a new shock and set up on the SV - set up for you by a professional for your weight will be miles better on the track than a 600 SS stock set up. Just think about it.

I can see that you are pretty set on getting the 600 - or that is the feel that I am getting from the posts. I am sure either set up would be great for you. The Honda is a good choice - however (and I am biased here the R6 is more of a track weapon and for me, the GSXR (I am a little over 6ft) was the most comfortable on the street. The R6 cleans up on track though.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,883 Posts
What you are saying makes sense and a 600 is going to be more powerful than the SV no doubt - and there is fun in that.

I don't think you are thinking about tires and insurance rates too. SV will be cheaper than the 600. Also a new shock and set up on the SV - set up for you by a professional for your weight will be miles better on the track than a 600 SS stock set up. Just think about it.

I can see that you are pretty set on getting the 600 - or that is the feel that I am getting from the posts. I am sure either set up would be great for you. The Honda is a good choice - however (and I am biased here the R6 is more of a track weapon and for me, the GSXR (I am a little over 6ft) was the most comfortable on the street. The R6 cleans up on track though.
I hated my CBR, the ergos were all sorts of wrong for me, but it was a fantastic bike, 07 and 08 had more power. The R6 is a torture rack in the street, I wouldn't want an R6 and be miserable on the street the whole year for just 3 or 4 trackdays. The GSX-R is as comfy as a SS can be.

·
The cake is a lie
10,152 Posts
I hated my CBR, the ergos were all sorts of wrong for me, but it was a fantastic bike, 07 and 08 had more power. The R6 is a torture rack in the street, I wouldn't want an R6 and be miserable on the street the whole year for just 3 or 4 trackdays. The GSX-R is as comfy as a SS can be.
Agreed about the comfort levels as posted by Tod. Also going to chime in that the 09+ zx6r had some pretty darn comfy ergos for a SS.

·
Already Sick of Winter
3,273 Posts
You don't have to go ultra high-tech on the suspension end. Racetech emulators work quite well. The Lightweight lap holder at Blackhawk Farms uses emulators. There are plenty of articles on other sites about swapping the rear shock with a shock from other models that allow damping, preload and ride height changes. You could probably cover both for under $300. Ditching the stock brake lines for braided, a 520 conversion, decent tires and you'll be on your way.

·
Giant on a Motorcycle
1,491 Posts
Yeah +1 on the cbr' s horrible ergos. I couldnt force my body to stay in that position for any longer than an hour max on my 03 cbr. My GSXR is a lot comfier.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Have you ever been on a track? If not, try it with your SV. Go to a school and learn the basics. You'll see how well the SV, even stock, performs. Make sure your brakes, chain and oil are in good shape. get some sticky tires (Q3s) and go have fun!

I have a 636 and an SV, and I think in the track twisties, the SV can hold it's own.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
I disagree. The CBR 600RR had/have some of the best ergos of any 600 out. It was MUCH better than my Daytona.

But I guess throttle jockeys is comfortable on 600s. :D I had a 2008 CBR600RR, and it was the bike I did 10 hours and 590 miles on.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
I owned many fast bikes and did plenty of canyon time and track days with them. Then about a year ago I had a 650R that I was not worried about dropping at the track or canyons. If $ is a factor, and it was/is for me, then I say keep the 650 you have now and track it as is. Do mods here and there on it to make it fit the chores you will give it.

a 600 ss will be faster and better but with higher compression and more technology, you're also looking at more expensive repairs and parts and labor, ect. The sv is somewhat bullet proof.

My opinion, gear yourself more for track days and less on what you take to the track days. If you're going to spend money, do it like that. Just my opinion...I've never had a bike set up for the track or canyons and obviously I'm not a superstar but I'd rather be that guy on a 250 or 650 that normally whoops my ass than the person I am today who gets spanked in turns on a R1, zx14, ect.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,883 Posts
The SV650 is a terrific bike, but it is not the only bike you can build skills on!

Upgrades done to a SV650 are money down the drain, they don't help the resale value. When it comes the time to sell it, a SV650 with GSX-R forks raises all sorts of red flags, was the front end swapped because it was wrecked? You can never know for sure that it wasn't. So you'll be getting the same money as from a stock SV.

The guy has had his SV650 for a while, he wants a change and he might do 3 or 4 trackdays, he isn't signing up for racing or something like that. Why not?

·
King of the Hopeless
1,132 Posts
I ride a 2006 R6 and I find it very comfortable. I rode more than four hours on it last weekend and felt fine - and I'm an "older" guy. I do feel you though - its a committed riding position - perhaps the most committed. But for track work - it is perfect.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
the cbr would be a good upgrade and be a nice balance between comfort and performance/handling.

you want a new bike, nothing wrong with that. personally i would not keep the same bike, it is fun to try something new and you will be happier with the increased performance. i would not piece together a "new" bike out of your 650 and be left with a bike worth less that is not what you want.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,883 Posts
I ride a 2006 R6 and I find it very comfortable. I rode more than four hours on it last weekend and felt fine - and I'm an "older" guy. I do feel you though - its a committed riding position - perhaps the most committed. But for track work - it is perfect.
The riding position is perfect for the track, but sitting "on top" of the bike, with your but up in the air and stretched makes for a very uncomfortable street bike. To me the CBR was similar, sitting on top of the bike, but the handlebar felt "too close", the 07+ are better than the 03-06, the earlier CBRs felt like I was sitting over the front wheel.

I haven't had any experience with newer ZX-6, but I rode and raced a 05 636, it was very comfy, similar to my GSX-R.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts