Sport Bikes banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A gentleman offered me a trade. He offered his 03 Kawa ZX-6r for my 2004 yamaha fourwheeler, the catch; the bike has a salvaged title. He bought it from someone who got it at an insurance auction and fixed it. He has been riding it for 10 months and has had no problems with it. He bought another bike and wants a fourwheeler. I have seen pics of the bike and it looks great, the only mark is on the top of the forks, not a big deal though.

I'm in OH and someone told me that to register a vehicle with a salvaged title, the state highway patrol has to inspect it and ok the vehicle to be registered. True? I'm not sure of the process that has to happen. If someone could help me out and give me some advice I would appreciate it.

The bike is exactly what I want, I'm trying to sell my quad to get a bike and this almost seems to good to be true.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I wouldn't mess with that. You're giving up a clean title vehicle for a salvaged one? What's your 2004 quad? What's the value of it. I wouldn't think that 6r is worth much more than $2500 - $3000 with that title.

Is this your first bike?

·
who......me????
293 Posts
call the highway patrol, see what needs to be done to have it inspected and make the results of the inspection a conditional offer of purchase. In MI anyway it is illegal to drive a vehicle on the road that has a salvage title. People often do this to hide that fact that the vehicle or parts of the vehicle have been stolen, hence the required inspection. And don't buy it unless they are willing to clear it for a clean title.

good luck

·
old member
13,079 Posts
I wouldn't buy a salvage title at any price unless I knew exactly what damage was done and what was done to fix it and by whom. This one could be fine, but there are too many hands between you and the original damage to really know for sure without a complete strip down and inspection. PLus value is severly lower like about 25-45%.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Not worth it, think about how much it'll be worth 2 years from now. That quad would be worth more and you'd be on the losing end of that deal if you ever decide to sell it. If you're gonna turn it into a racebike/track bike, it might be a good deal.

·
Registered
519 Posts
if he is riding it does he have it alreayd legal? to get a new title isnt a big deal esp if everything is put back together ( if it looks good itll pass) I would do it in a second

What kind of 4 wheeler is it, 4 wheelers have horrible resale value, and the zx6r is a great bike, if i was in your position i would do it.

·
Registered
681 Posts
RhythmsDJs said:
I wouldn't mess with that. You're giving up a clean title vehicle for a salvaged one? What's your 2004 quad? What's the value of it. I wouldn't think that 6r is worth much more than $2500 - $3000 with that title.

Is this your first bike?
+1..............???????

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.