Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Light it up! Light it up!
Joined
·
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just talked to my dealer and he cannot get to my bike until July 8th. i have a 2003 R6 and i think my ignition coils are going bad. it sputters sometimes at low rpms, and it has lost all power a few times around 6K, only to come back on at about 5K.

do you think it will be ok to ride until then? is there any possibility that this problem could leave me stranded on the side of the road?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
558 Posts
Funny my nieghbors bike is an 03 R6 and it just went into the shop for the same exact thing. he wouldn't ride his.. truthfully I'm not sure what else it could hurt, but I'm from the school of thought where if it ain't running at a hundred percent, I ain't puttin my ass on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,258 Posts
I don't think you'd have a problem that could cause you physical harm, but I still would not ride it. If you know you have a problem, and you've contacted your dealer about it, you should probably not ride it. If something larger goes wrong, he could come back and deny your warrenty (I know, small chance, but we know how dealers are,) because you continued to ride with a known problem. After some fighting, you'd probably get it covered, but is it worth it? I know, it sucks, middle of summer and you want to ride. However, a few days down is better than fighting a major battle with your dealer and Yamaha.

Did you try to contact other dealers?
 

·
Light it up! Light it up!
Joined
·
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah, i've tried the other dealers in the area, but no body can get to it sooner. i'm going to just run by the dealer after work for a little face time. maybe that will help me get it in sooner.

i know i shouldn't ride it, but i'm sure sometime while it's sitting there i'll want to. i'll just have to fight it off.

i'm out of warrenty, but i saw on the r6 messagenet thread that yamaha was supposed to pay regardless of warrenty. i'll cross that bridge with the dealer when i get there.
 

·
Light it up! Light it up!
Joined
·
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, the face time paid off. he said he may be able to take it on thursday, but asked me to go ahead and call his tech rep thru yamaha so that he is aware of the situation, and could advise the dealer on what to do. he said that in order to avoid wait time on the parts we could take some out of a new R6 if need be. :)

he was around quite a few customers at the time, so that might have helped him decide to help me. dunno tho. things are definately looking better!

i have two weeks off starting next week with no real long term plans, and i was really looking forward to some saddle time. a few friends and i are talking about hitting the gap, but there's no concrete plans yet. i must have my bike running! :D
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top