Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
King of the Hopeless
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I have used the search function to learn as much from you all as I can about this subject.

Basically, I want to purchase a two bike trailer to tow to various racetracks in the Northeast for track days, etc. I am looking for something that is foldable or can be stored in my garage. I am aware of the Harbor Freight, Red Trailers and Kendon trailers that are foldable for storage. I am a bit concerned about going the Harbor Frieght or Red Trailer route, simply because I have to build the things. I do have mechanical ability but I'm concerned about wiring the lights correctly and or screwing the things up and fragging my bike(s). I like the Kendon trailer but we are talking about $2,500+ for one of those things and that just seems pretty steep. I would like to keep it closer to $1,000.00. I just don't need a fully enclosed trailer and in any event, even if I was going to spend that kind of coin, I don't know where I would store the trailer.

1. Did I miss any other foldable trailer options that could deal with two bikes?

2. Given the options listed above - what would you (or do you) use and why? How does it work out for you?

3. If you have any other suggestions let me know.

Hey I appreciate everyone's replies / suggestions / help.

Cheers.

·
Banned
317 Posts
1. Holsclaw used to make some pretty nice trailers, but they went out of business I think. I have an older Holsclaw that I would not trust with anything but a few dirtbikes.

2. Given the options above, I would go on Craigslist and see what I could find in the area. I wouldn't trust having a street bike in the open- so I'd probably look for an enclosed one.

3. What bikes will you be taking on the trailer?

·
Registered
579 Posts
I had a smaller Lowes trailer. that fit 2 bikes and that was it. it worked well. i took it to NM from AZ was perfect. If you need to store it in a garage get a open trailer. a enclosed one that can fit 2 bikes isn't going to fit in a garage. and can be a pain in the ass... like the other poster said. checked Craigslist. you can find some good deals on there if you look around

Home depote has good trailers small and well get the job done for under 1000

What kinda truck you got? i am able to fit 2 sport bikes in the back of my dakota . lol

·
Registered
471 Posts
I have a 5x8 v-nose trailer that could hold two bikes if you made a chock for them, and it also fits in my garage. Its a standard double garage with 2 7x8' doors. The trailer is a hair under 7' and just touches the rubber on the top of the door on the way in. If you could find a good cheap one that's what I would do. Just my 2c.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
If you have ANY outdoor room whatsoever, check out the various car haulers that look good for a bike. Also, I'm assuming that you have a real vehicle, like a full sized truck.

One dumb thing I did was sell my car hauler. You can use it for bikes, cages, whatever. Loading is a piece of cake.

·
Canyon Assault Vehicle
1,299 Posts
Another option is to buy a smaller open trailer from any trailer place for $6-800, and put some wheel chocks on it for two bikes. a 6x10 or 6x12 trailer will work great for two bikes, and they are relatively inexpensive.

They don't fold for storage, but if you have an open ceiling or exposed beams in your garage, I know plenty of guys that just winch the trailer up and store it vertically. You can also do this on the side / back of your house and just cover it with a tarp for winter.

The Harbor Freight trailers are GREAT for hauling one bike anywhere you want to go, and they kick much ass in their folding / storing options. I have had one for years now, you can read my build thread HERE

Putting two bikes on it could be a bit sketchy. I would probably just overbuild the decking, and extend it about 8 inches on either side of the trailer frame, essentially making it about 16 inches wider, and would mount some tie down points a bit outward, maybe on some angle iron or something.

That would cost about $450-500 to build with everything, and would still be foldable. If you don't want to build it, you can buy mine, and I'll build a new one!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Silly question but how often do you do track days? once a month? once a fortnight? how many days would you spend travelling to and from trackdays?

What can be done is buy a couple of front wheel chocks and a decent ramp and rent a box trailer say a 7 by 5 or a furniture cage trailer (these usually have a ramp at the rear) 1K will buy quiet a few days trailer rental and there will be no storage issues.

The other thing to do is buy a basic box trailer big enough then it is useful other times when you might need a box trailer and get someone who knows how to weld to add a few extra tie down pionts as you can never have too many of them.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I got my trailer at Tractor Supply for $300, I have only hauled one bike but i'm sure two would fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,122 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
That's cool but for that kinda money I wanna be able to haul more than just a bike.
That's exactly what I was thinking. I paid $2100 for my 16' tandem axle car hauler brand new, and I can fit 6 bikes on it pretty easily. It even has brakes, and full size tires. No way would I pay that much for some flimsy little thing just to carry a couple bikes.

·
Registered
327 Posts
From my snowmobiling experience, Triton makes incredible trailers. You definately get what you pay for. I would stay away from the trailer in a bag thing. I have not heard very good reviews so far.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Dual bike Kendon gets my vote.

Ready to go just add straps.

You can buy a cheap flat trailer but it kills the grass, takes up to much space when not in use, you will have to add ring hooks, wheel chocks, ramp, etc, by the time you do that you coud buy a Kendon for the most part.

You can haul small loads on the dual kendon as well.

I am biased as I own a single Kendon that I am looking to upgrade to a dual by next season.

An enclosed will kill your gas mileage like 7 to 10 is what I have heard on average.

Happy hunting....

·
King of the Hopeless
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Basically I am towing behind an SUV (Volvo). It will be two sportbikes. I really like the Kendon but I feel like I could purchase a track day bike for that kind of coin. It is basically $2,400 plus the extras like a spare or a toolbox. Very very steep and hard to justify. If there were something priced around $1,500 I would be bothered - but I would likely purchase that instead. My problem is that there is high end (the kendon) and low end (Harbor freight) and really nothing in between. I have heard that given the choice between the Harbor Freight and the Red Trailers that the Red ones are actually better made and they will put the thing together for you for a hundred bucks. I am leaning towards that route. But then again, I do firmly believe that when it comes to bike stuff - especially tools and gear that the axiom that you get what you pay for applies - and I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish. I plan on using this thing for years and when you look at it from that perspective it is probobly worth it to spend the money on the Kendon. Basically I am frustrated and looking to hear what everyone says because internet or not, many of you speak from years of direct experience.

Also the fully enclosed trailer is just out of the picture. I have nowhere to store the thing and I don't want it sitting in my back yard or driveway.

I sincerely appreciate everyones replies and if you have more information or ideas - keep it coming.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have a 5x8 v-nose trailer that could hold two bikes if you made a chock for them, and it also fits in my garage. Its a standard double garage with 2 7x8' doors. The trailer is a hair under 7' and just touches the rubber on the top of the door on the way in. If you could find a good cheap one that's what I would do. Just my 2c.

Nice trailor man! I would like the v-nose simply for gas mileage. I've got a flat front and its like pulling a parachute. Fuel economy drops to 13 mpg. I do like mine because it is the same color as my truck and it has jacks on the back so I can load and unload without being hooked to my truck. Its carpeted also, but only if I had a v-nose.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I went with the Kendon mostly because it folds up and then you can stand it up. But, the other reason is because they hold their value so well. I imagine that you might be able to find a pretty good deal on one now, however.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts