Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I dont have any stands.

Think rachet strapping the handle bars to the rafters in my garage and some stacked 2x4's under the swing arm will keep my baby safe? Its probably going to have to sit there for over a day, so Id really rather not just lay it on its side like Ive seen some other guys do.

I know some of you guys will probably have some better ideas, post them up!

Goodbye you cold hearted bish :bitchslap

I think Im going to have to remove a link from my chain as well. Theres a good bit of slack on it and I doubt pulling the tire back is going to remove it.

I cannot wait to get a pilot power on there. That tire takes forever to heat up to a managable temperature.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I've used jack stands on the frame sliders before.

A car jack and a cinder block under your spools works too. Can't say it's really sturdy though.

On a side note, if you have to remove a link, that chain is toast already.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yeah there is no center stand on a gsxr :(

TS80, one thing I dont understand about the sportbike community. Its not all that uncommon to just remove links off a dirt bike, but most people will be against it on a sportbike. If you dont damage the master clip, whats really the problem with it?

I took two out of my ninja when I first got it and havent had a problem.

Wish it didnt decide to snow today... Id rather just ride it there and let them do deal with it. Of course then I wouldnt want to have it sit in a shop for two days when I could be riding it :p

·
Registered
11,370 Posts
You at least need a rear stand if you want to get anything done on your bike yourself man. You can improvise with the front, but the rear is not something you can simply be McGyver about every time you want the rear tire off the ground.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I agree with TS80 the chain is probably toast. If a chain needs a link taken out of it its probably streched out and worn passed the point of keeping it. It will also put wear and tear on your sprockets. Thats at least my experience with chains on bikes.Unless its not the right chain for the bike.

I broke down and got a rear stand because I dont want to drop my bike. Best purchase I've made.I use it all the time.I would give you some ideas but since I wouldn't trust them I'll keep them to myself.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
phail said:
TS80, one thing I dont understand about the sportbike community. Its not all that uncommon to just remove links off a dirt bike, but most people will be against it on a sportbike. If you dont damage the master clip, whats really the problem with it?

I think sportbike riders are strict on this issue because of how much throttle control matters for cornering. When a chain gets stretched enough that you have to remove links it's most likely that it's also unevenly worn. An unevenly worn chain makes the bike surge at certain RPM. It's most noticeable in corners when you need to adjust using tiny throttle inputs.

Go by what your manual says. They have a maximum amount of stretch. Usually counted by links per distance.

Put up the rear and very slowly spin the wheel, if the chain has a spot that tightens and another that loosens then you have uneven stretch, that's the real problem. Uneven stretch is USUALLY accompanied by stretch in general. But if you just have stretch and no unevenness then I guess it's okay to take out a link. But I'd say that 95% of the time when you have that much stretch, you also have uneven stretch.

·
Registered
179 Posts
phail said:

Chains don't 'strech' per se, chains get longer because the rollers that hold the links to each other are getting worn out, hence the chain is getting weaker. To measure chain wear accurately, you have to hand a weight from the middle of the bottom run of the chain, then measure the distance between the rollers in the chain. If that distance is too large, the chain is toast and both it and both sprockets should be replaced. The factory or aftermarket service manual will have the measuring specs to tell if the chain needs to be replaced.

A 'stretched' chain has a greater probability of breaking. If a chain breaks, you could go down and/or have the chain come around and punch a hole in your bike's transmission case. Neither one of those outcomes is good.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Antimatter said:
Chains don't 'strech' per se, chains get longer because the rollers that hold the links to each other are getting worn out, hence the chain is getting weaker. To measure chain wear accurately, you have to hand a weight from the middle of the bottom run of the chain, then measure the distance between the rollers in the chain. If that distance is too large, the chain is toast and both it and both sprockets should be replaced. The factory or aftermarket service manual will have the measuring specs to tell if the chain needs to be replaced.

A 'stretched' chain has a greater probability of breaking. If a chain breaks, you could go down and/or have the chain come around and punch a hole in your bike's transmission case. Neither one of those outcomes is good.
Chains strech, that is why we have wear indicators on the swing arm. The maintenance manual clearly states how to check for chain stretch, usually by measuring the distance between X amount of links.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Veefer97 said:
Chains strech, that is why we have wear indicators on the swing arm. The maintenance manual clearly states how to check for chain stretch, usually by measuring the distance between X amount of links.
Re-read my post. Chains do get longer, but it isn't because the metal changes it's size.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yay my rachet straps are too short. Off to home depot I guess.. :(

When I get my new tire Im going to pull it back all the way and see how much slack is left. This chain really doesnt look that old, neither are the sprockets.

·
BIRDMAN
2,559 Posts
phail said:
Yay my rachet straps are too short. Off to home depot I guess.. :(

When I get my new tire Im going to pull it back all the way and see how much slack is left. This chain really doesnt look that old, neither are the sprockets.
Do as was said measure the distance over a given set of links to know for sure, Check for tight spots. A chain can look fine but be toast. Not worth the risk.
And every bike owner should have a rear stand. So get one.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Im going to, eventually :) Probably going to pick up a set of redline stands in the next couple of weeks. Needed some new gear and a tire more than the stands.

Its actually pretty sturdy like this. All those 2x4's are screwed together... not just stacked. The straps on the triple t are holding the bike vertical. I tried to knock it over a couple times to see how sturdy it is and it didnt budge. Should be good enough for a quick tire swap tomorrow.

I shouldve just asked to borrow a stand from someone on a local forum. After setting all that up I got lazy and went back inside. Its not like the rest of the snow will be melted tomorrow anyways :(

·
Registered
525 Posts
If you need to remove links, not only is your chain toast, but so are your sprockets. You should always relace chain and sprockets together anyway since if one is worn, it will wear out the other.
Don't be cheap. A worn chain is dangerous. A local guy was killed when his chain broke and locked up his rear tire. Many people have had holes punched in thier engine cases when the chain broke and whipped forward into the engine.
I pesonally lost a chain last year on the interstate, 1000 miles from home. In my case it wasn't wear, but a bad master link. Fortunately, I wasn't on the throttle when it let go and it only tore my chain gaurd in half and gouged a place in my rear wheel as it came off. It could have put me on the ground at 85mph had it hung up in the rear sprocket.
The only chain available in Topeka at the time was a cheap roller type that began stretching as soon as I started riding with it. By the time I got back home (another 2800 miles later), it had stretched so badly that I was out of adjustment and had to have 2 links removed just to tighten it up enough get home the last day. When I pulled it off to put on a new one, my sprockets were completely shot from running with the chain stretched.
What ruins the sprockets is that as the rollers wear and the chain gets longer, the distance between the rollers increases. Your sprocket meshes in between the rollers. If the distance between rollers is too long, it hits in the wrong place on the sprocket, wearing the teeth. If your chain is truly stretched enough to need links removed, it has been wearing your sprockets for a long time and I'll bet dollars to donuts they are shot. Also, if it's stretched that far, the rollers are dangerously worn and weakened. Don't take a chance on killing yourself, or putting a large hole in your engine for the cost of a chain and sprockets.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
congrats on fabbing a way to hang the bike. I know i adore my stands since i've had them fro a few years. It makes things so much easier. And i just might like seeing my bike upright at times rather than leaning to the left side

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Do you need two people to put the bike up on a rear stand? Or just put the bike on the kickstand and then bring it vertical with the stand?

Have had people bugging me to come look at pitbull puppies Im getting rid of. I doubt Im going to get the chance to go get the new tire or measure my chain today :angry

Looks like it will be 9*C on saturday. I need to break this tire in thursday/friday if thats the case. Hope my gear arrives from newenough by then. It would be nice to be warm while doing that.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Well mission accomplished. The only thing that went wrong is my cotter pin snapped :rolleyes

Pilot power 2ct. Paid way too much for the tire IMO. Sportbiketrackgear has PP's for like 150$cdn :rolleyes Shouldve planned ahead better and just bought a set of 2ct's from SBTG and had this shop mount them. When I picked it up they wanted to give me the rim back with a massive gob of grease smeared across my brake rotor. I was surprised I had to tell them to clean it off.

Pulled the tire back maybe 1/8". The chain has about an inch of slack or so. Im still going to measure it later. Im hoping I can get 100+ kilometers tomorrow (should be fun in 2*C weather) so I can hit some twisties on sunday. Itll be the first day its been over 10*C in over a week. I find it odd you can pull the tire back an 1/8" and have like an inch of slack removed from the chain.

Did anyone else have to sign a waiver when you get tires mounted saying the shop warned you about how slick the tire is for the first 100km?

My framesliders are doing a lot of good sitting in that little box on my rachet set.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
How old is the chain? hehe.

I decided it would be a good idea to get started breaking in that tire. I got about 25km and said fuck that. I lost feeling in my knees pretty quick :phatyo

-4°C Overcast
FEELS LIKE -11°C

Do those canadian tire stands use spools on the swing arm? Im definately going to check them out.

edit: Im a retard, it says it does.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
remove the tail fairings and hold the back up with straps by the subframe

1 - 20 of 20 Posts