Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Capo di tuti Capi
287 Posts
Take it to a private shop. You will need to take the forks apart. There is a special fork compression tool that is required. To me, the price of the tool alone is not worth doing it yourself. For a one-time job?

Nah, take it to a mechanic who will have the tool.

Stone

·
Registered
145 Posts
Agree,
I do all my own work, but this is one I will have the shop do. Try to find a small shop, they seem to have a better time schedule to work around. I have to do both, but I may just get some ZX10R forks instead.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
some people are telling me that it shouldn't be that hard to do on my own, how the compression tool work, i thought that when you back the preload adj. out all the way it would take most of the tension out of the spring? wow i need more help than i thought

·
Registered
475 Posts
The job can be done by anyone competent with a wrench. The 'special spring compressor' tool isn't really necessary. I dunno what year bike you have, but at least on the P models (and most others) the preload adjusters don't actually adjust preload by compressing the spring - they just alter ride height. BUT, what you can do is just push down the spring with your hand and slip in a 15mm open end wrench on the piston rod nut, then unscrew the whole fork cap assembly/preload adjuster with a 17mm wrench. It's easier with two people (one to hold the spring down, one to wrench) but I did it myself for the first time just the other week. It's really not that hard.

The one tool you 'might' need is the socket to hold the piston inside the fork tube while you unscrew the hex bolt on the bottom of the tube - I dunno, I didn't take the slider out of the tube (was just changing the oil). You could just get away with a few long socket extensions, but again I didn't go that far.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i just ordered the seals today, along with a 15-45 sprocket set with a 520 chain conversion, so any way i will be attemping it probably weds or thurs. i will post up and tell how it goes.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well i just finished changing them out, i won't lie it was kind of a bitch, but nothing i couldn't handle. and best of all i saved like $200! works great. Thanks every one for posting up with help

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Good for you, I can only imagine how hard it was. I would ask you for the "how to" but I know I would mess it up. I just buy new seals, take my forks off the bike and take them to the shop . 15.00 for the seals 30.00 for the labour and 20 min later I am done.

·
F-You and Yourspace!
799 Posts
Doing fork seals is EASY on a ZX7. You only need 1 special tool (spring retainer), and you can make it in 5 min.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts