Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Little new to the sportbike world so bare with me.
Anyway, I have been looking into getting a sportbike. Today at work, a co-worker had a 93' Yamaha FZR with 23,000 miles on it, (Im an idiot for this) But I forgot to ask its size, up for sale in the back of his truck. I talked to him and he was asking $700 for it. I didnt get the full story because he was interrupted by a phone call and I had to leave, but he told me the engine was blown. The battery was dead so I attempted to see if the engine would even turn over, the battery was dead so I ran back into the shop to grab a jump pack, but unfortunatley that didnt have a charge either so I didnt get a chance to see if the engine would turn. The bike doesnt look like it has been dumped before.
Is $700 a good deal for this bike even with a blown engine, hopefully no more than a piston.
Is 23,000 miles on a bike too many for this year?
What should I basically look over on the bike?
I will ask him more when I got back to work tommorow and hopefully I can see if the engine turns.
Any information that you guys can feed me would help.

·
Registered
121 Posts
$700 is a good deal, if you can work on a bike. If you are just looking into getting into riding, skip the project and buy a bike that is already running. Milage is kind of irrelevant, since it will need a rebuild anyways. Find out what size it is, and start looking for used motors online. Then gauge how much it would cost to get it up and running again.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You really want to ease in to that sort of thing. Working on a bike is alot more ofa pain in the ass than your average car. You have to be EXCEPTIONALLY careful with bearing clearances and keeping everything clean because the motors spin at very high RPM and really pack a whollup for thier size. It's very easy to screw it up and end up on you ass becuase if a motor locks, so does you back wheel.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts