Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I need some help/opinions here. I hope I posted this in the right forum, so if not, my apologies. Anyways, I want to get a bike next spring, but I've got a problem. Parents. I'm a college student and still live at home, so it's kind a "our house, our rules". They're not real strict, so it's more of a respect thing. I've ridden motocross for several years, but tracks seem to be getting harder to find and it seems you have to travel two hours to get to one. They know I can ride, they are more worried about other drivers. Anyways, my point is, what is a good way to ease their mind about street bikes. Thanks for the help everyone!

·
Gonna go far on my GSX-R!
2,238 Posts
For me a lot of it was having friends who ride and my parents felt better that I would learn how to ride from them because they were responsible and would watch out for me. My parents originally said that I wouldnt get a bike until after college and the biggest reason I was able to get a bike was because Ive got some health problems and the doctors thought I had cancer so it looked like I wouldnt make it until after college. So getting a bike was now or never and it turns out I dont have cancer and I got a bike out of the scare. So that worked for me, not that that helps you out at all but thats my story

·
Registered
586 Posts
simple... you're 23.

j/k, i know exactly how the respect part goes man. i think if you explain things like gear, different bikes, and things like that so you can EDUCATE them and they can gain understanding, that will go a really long way.

ignorance can be bliss, but it also leads to unncessary fears as well. experience is key.

·
Head Rooster
3,438 Posts
Just show them you've got more than a third of a brain and you'll be fine. Keep your head screwed on straight and you'll have no problems. I ran into a similar problem while younger than you but was able to use my father as a cheap escape route. He drives a Porsche why should I not be able to have a sportbike. It worked like a charm.

Given that I was raised with performance vehicles they had little choice but to cave.

·
Registered
243 Posts
sorry Man. Most parents just wont let it slide (I know I wouldnt if I was a parent) When I went away to college, I bought a bike there my junior year and they never found out about it. when I got back, I moved out after 3 months and got another one. When I'm on my own, they cant say much. Just wait till you graduate, or get one and done tell them.

·
Smiley Gladhands
3,050 Posts
I fyou respect your parent, you'll have to live by their rules until you are on your own. Sometimes it is impossible to make them see things your way.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Just keep talking about it, not in a pushy way, just keep bringing them up casually, the "freedom" of riding, ect.

Every once in a while start throwing in the usual "gas milage" things that are just lame excuses but they wont nessesarly see them as that.

A lot of parents think its just a fad or whatever and you just want to impress some chich short term. You got to show them you're commited to this and want to do it right.

Also if anyone else in your fam. or some close friend rides its a big help.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I don't see what the problem is. When you are an independant self sufficient, self supporting adult, you do and get what you want. Until then, follow the rules that apply.

·
Registered
250 Posts
^ thats easy to say when your not in that position.

Just like its easy for a non-smoker to tell a smoker to quit ect.

I'm not saying your not right, but it can be heart braking to a young guy whos in college, doing things right, and yet being denied the thing he wants most.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I know your situation and unfortunately your parents minds most likely will not be changed and you really can't blame them for it. Your there son and they don't want any harm to come to you. Listen you really have 2 choices, listen to them while they are footing the bills or do what you want and risk damaging everything you have with your parents. Your best bet is to maybe wait until you are on your own and all they can do is disapprove of it. I'm telling you this because one of my farther's closest friends son was going through the same thing you are. He was 20 years old, living at home,parents paying for College, you know the story. Well he wanted a bike but they said no, not while your under my roof sort of thing. Well he bought a bike, keeped it at a friends house and never told his parents. Well I think you know how the stories ends and it caused his Parents to split up, mental health problems and his farther blaming himself and never being able to forgive himself even though it truly was out of his control. The man still to this day blames himself for not knowing that his son bought a bike.
I truly feel for you because I know how much you want a bike. But before you do whatever you are going to do, please just keep that in mind, Knowing your decision will affect other people besides yourself.

Edit - He got killed on that bike and that's what I meant by "Well I think you know how the story ends "

·
Registered
18 Posts
tell them what i said itwas dangerous going to school everyday in the hood, didnt stop u from sending me to school.......or get religous on them when its ur time to go youre going to go...or say fuck it my money my bike and show them ur trying to do it safely...msf rider course gear the whole 9

·
Registered
250 Posts
Him getting a bike cause his parents to split? Theres got to be other problems there, I dont think a parents divorce can ever be blamed on the kid.

It depends on your parents though, I brought it up when I was 17 and my dad laughed it off and my mom said if I ever got one I'm no longer her son.

I'm 20 now and had been talking about the whole time, my cousin got one, my friend got one, my mom went out and bought my bike with her money, dad bough me a helmet and jacket.

It depends on your parents, but dont lose hope.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I talked my parents into it. My mom was dead set against it--I wanted one before i could drive. I rode dirt bikes, but exactly like you she was worried about riding on the street. Once I turned 19 I moved out in an apartment up at college that I had payed for and she saw I had responsibility and said that I was old enough to make my own decision and that she would respect what I wanted. But like she said if you get this it's your responsibility and you pay for everything that comes along with it/insurance etc.

Just show them you are responsible that's all I can say.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Power2weight said:
^ thats easy to say when your not in that position.

Just like its easy for a non-smoker to tell a smoker to quit ect.

I'm not saying your not right, but it can be heart braking to a young guy whos in college, doing things right, and yet being denied the thing he wants most.

What? Like I was never once in that position before? :rolleyes

·
Registered
548 Posts
^key word "was"--everthing seems easier after it's over

I think he is talking when you are younger such as 16 or 17 and can't really be independent.

·
Registered
910 Posts
What does seeming "easy" have to do with it? It's actually easier in the long run my way, even if it doesn't seem that way to you. Been there, done that...

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Power2weight said:
Him getting a bike cause his parents to split? Theres got to be other problems there, I dont think a parents divorce can ever be blamed on the kid.

It depends on your parents though, I brought it up when I was 17 and my dad laughed it off and my mom said if I ever got one I'm no longer her son.

I'm 20 now and had been talking about the whole time, my cousin got one, my friend got one, my mom went out and bought my bike with her money, dad bough me a helmet and jacket.

It depends on your parents, but dont lose hope.
I'm sorry his parents didn't get a divorce over him getting a bike, they got divorced after he got killed on the bike. I should have made that more apparent.

·
Registered
250 Posts
mj31 said:
I'm sorry his parents didn't get a divorce over him getting a bike, they got divorced after he got killed on the bike. I should have made that more apparent.
RIP to him, sad story.

I think my parents helping me buy the bike has made me more responsable.

I realize every time I thumb thats starter that it wouldnt have been possible without my parents, and that I'm not the only person that will suffer the consequences of my stupidities.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Power2weight said:
RIP to him, sad story.

I think my parents helping me buy the bike has made me more responsable.

I realize every time I thumb thats starter that it wouldnt have been possible without my parents, and that I'm not the only person that will suffer the consequences of my stupidities.
That's a real good attitude to have.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts