Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone could lend out a helping hand fixing my bike. Took a spill today. Nothing too serious..at least nothing I can see. Taking her to the dealership for an inspection but theres no way I want to pay for there work if they decide to replace the parts. Im just gonna ask for a parts list and go shoppin on my own. Now here comes the tricky part, I need a helping hand with most of this stuff. So far it looks like nothing too bad, i cant tell if my forks are ok. But the plastic is messed, turn signals are broken, and so are my footpegs(brakes at least). Nothing seems tooooo complicated so I was thinkin I could do it myself with a board member maybe. If no ones interested I understand but I gotta ask right?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Sorry to hear about the incident. The most important questions is: are you ok? Plastic is replacable, people are not. Sounds like a lot of damage for something "not too serious."

I can't help fix it, but I can cheer ya'll on. GO TEAM!

·
Registered
918 Posts
Is your bike still rideable? If so, bring it to the BBQ on Saturday and I'll take a look at it.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not rideable at present. I said it's not too serious because I just walked away bruised. Bike is pretty messed. My brake pedal is totally bent, I think my fork might be broke down by the axle, plastics cracked both front/rear, and i think my handlebar might be bent as well. But the good news is that the frame is untouched, the shifter worked fine (i was able to shift it and everything and it didnt stall out). My gear was all in perfect shape too, now I know why they say ride for the fall not for the ride. Yeah it was my new sv. Some dick pulled out in front of me as I was takin a left into lake mead. The part that makes me the angriest is I was 20 feet from my aunts house where it's being stored.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
BTW it was in no way or shape my fault, a guy ran a stop sign and took a right to beat some oncoming traffic as I was already taking my left. To stop from being hit I had to brake half way through a right turn. Of course braking as yo ur leaned doesn't give you a whole lot of traction. So blammo, asphalt for lunch.

edit:

I am fine. My hip is bruised from around my rear back area down to my thigh. Little road rash on my knee, (no idea how it got there probably from rubbing), some on my shin. Other than that a whole lot of soreness and tenderness. Little bit of a limp. No lasting pain though. I broke my right toenail open though its where i landed on so it bled for a little bit and my left foot was pretty sore. I am surprised I didn't sustain more injury for how serious it could have been. I highsided so im surprised the bike didn't crush my leg.

·
Registered
918 Posts
It's good to hear you weren't badly hurt.

What area of town do you live? Do you have tools?

If you really want to do this work yourself and with help of non-professional mechanics I highly suggest you invest in a shop manual, that way you'll be able to get the proper torque specs and distances on everything, especially if you have a bent fork.

·
Man in the boat
228 Posts
If yer looking for plastics, I suggest Ebay or Ron Ayers!

As far as mechanics go, get a manual like Evil said and start shopping dude! This is where the grease monkey shit comes in handy!!!

EDIT: Where are you located at in town? I dunno if you should be riding around if your brake lever is fucked up and you might have a bent fork...

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not riding it around. I just drove it ten feet into the garage. Around two corners that was outside of a neighborhood. Im driving my truck for now. I live over by texas station and I have enough tools to sink a fucking ship. If the fork really is cracked (cracked not bent) then Ill probably have that done professional. But as for the rear sets and the plastics I can replace those myself..I think.

·
Man in the boat
228 Posts
BadNatured said:
as for the rear sets and the plastics I can replace those myself..I think.

If youve got the tools then buy the parts and dig in mang...Rear sets and plastics are prolly some of the easiest things to do on a bike...Is your tank fucked up?

·
Registered
529 Posts
I am willing to help. Just let me know. I am tired as hell at the moment, workin like a mad man. BUT, when the parts are here, hopefully I should be good to go. I also have a ramp, if we need to load the bike up in a truck to take it some place. Just let me know. 355-1316

- Ice_Hole

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks ice hole. My bike tank is pristine..not even a scratch..its the strangest pattern. I thinkt he rear sets are actually fine upon 2nd inspection and just the peg is fucked. The plastic I don't know if I will replace. But the blinkers are already being replaced with flush mounts I have on order. The trickiest thing is the handlebars are bent like shit. Well the caps at least. Those im gonna get a dealer quote on.

·
Registered
918 Posts
freakinhungover said:
get some ohlins forks for that badboy
That sounds like a great idea! I'd wait until you get some experience first.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The bar ends actually if you just straighten out that bolt that holds them, then that will be more then fine, you don't have to buy new ones. I already had to do that twice. I would say that I could help since you live down the street from me, but I don't have any tools anymore. Sorry.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd buy ohlins, but that could be a down payment for my next bike haha. This one should be paid off in about 6 months which is right around the time ill probably buy a new bike and convert the sv. i cycle bikes alot.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
GonZilla said:
So this isnt your frist bike?
Nope, either street or dirt. I've had multiple in both. I just never got around to working on them. Had a FZR and EX500 before, bought a friends old 250 and tossed it around till it broke down (by the time it had it wasnt worth fixing it was old to begin with). Those are mine, but I am relatively young so that's not too shabby.

·
Man in the boat
228 Posts
BadNatured said:
Nope, either street or dirt. I've had multiple in both. I just never got around to working on them. Had a FZR and EX500 before, bought a friends old 250 and tossed it around till it broke down (by the time it had it wasnt worth fixing it was old to begin with). Those are mine, but I am relatively young so that's not too shabby.

Dirt bikes dont count...

I do like FZR's though...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts