Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I make things happen
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please read below:
To Anyone Interested

I am writing this not to justify my acts but to enlighten the rest of America who are not in the service as to how separating military members are being treated. Everyone in the military will bend over backwards to help someone to re-enlist but when it comes to separating it is a different matter. You are literally sent home and dumped out on the street, looked down upon because you don't want to be a part of the team anymore. Yes they do give you a very minuscule time to out process, 30-45 days, but that is hardly enough time to make the change back into civilian life. Even in the civilian sector it takes more than a month and a half to even get a job interview not to mention even starting a job. Those with families need time to find housing and childcare which is something no parent would just jump into with the first place they find. You have to do some research into their background and the area surrounding the establishment. Military members with families also need a steady income to support a family i.e. food, housing, healthcare and transportation. I have had to write my state representatives to have the problem remedied and allow myself adequate time for separation.

There are two investigations into my rotation date currently. If my command has a problem with what is happening with these investigations and tell me that I signed a contract and I should have expected to come over here I will tell ask them what a contract is. A contract is nothing more than something written down for you to follow so that you can be dealt with accordingly if you don’t; surprisingly similar is the description of an order. Orders are written to be followed. If we don't follow them that will lead to a corrupt and chaotic military led by the very same type of person that we removed from power over here. If it is that the order is out of date and no longer pertains to the situations of today then it needs to be amended or rewritten to accommodate all situations we are experiencing today. All that the military is doing by delaying the separation process is causing more strain on the personnel getting out. The command should be doing everything in their power to get replacements trained up and in place so that transitions go smoothly. If prospective enlistees see that military are being treated well when they separate they will be less likely to turn down an offer from a recruiter for fear of being left out in the cold when their time to get out approaches.

All in all the separation process of today is flawed and needs to be corrected to ensure the success of today’s wartime veterans in the civilian world. To anyone who cares as to the stability of their nation and their nation’s military please write, email or phone your state representatives about the travesty that is occurring to the military members working hard and dieing for their country everyday overseas. I did expect to serve my country in combat however I didn’t expect to have to separate in such a small amount of time with out proper time to re-enter the civilian world.

R/S
Cpl Anzaldua, Aaron S.
USMC
Habbaniyah, Iraq

·
Super Moderator
4,658 Posts
I'm not sure of your whole situation, but don't you guys have some sort of ACAP? I have several Soldiers who work for me who were stop-lossed. As soon as we get home, we hold them for another 90 days to acclimate and get them a leg up. I admit the system isn't perfect and I'm sure some people fall thru the cracks. I just hope you have worked this thru you chain of command before you go asking for a Congressional (which is your right, but just make sure you have your ducks in-a-row).

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
i'm not going into detail with my reply - just a readers digest version...

although i sympathize with your issue i feel no pity for you....so go cry on someone else's shoulder i did 9 years as a Special Forces Medic and probably saw a hell of a lot more action than you (grenada, panama and a shit load of missions that will prolly neverbe declassified)....and i had no trouble with re-aclimating to the civilian world....quit crying and do your damn job like everyone else and when your time is up get back to your civilian life like everyone else before you has done...

sorry to sound so harsh - but it's a cold world....

·
Registered
813 Posts
When you quit a civilian job, you give them 2 weeks notice and you're gone.. That's why people save their vacation time.

As for me, I had 60 days of leave saved when I got out of the military.. that gave me 2 months of pay while looking for a job. I planned ahead, save money, figured out where I wanted to live and work.. I don't think it's the military's job to make sure your taken care of after you seperate.

I did 9 years in the Air Force, got out and found a better paying job in less than a month. but I also planned while in the Air Force.. I got my degree in Computer Science, took MCSE classes and had part time jobs working in an network environment.

Don't blame the military for your hardship.. look at yourself first.

·
Don't tease the dragon
1,193 Posts
It sounds to me like you're ticked off even though you knew it was coming, and you probably lacked preparation on your own part.
The military system is far from perfect, and you should have realized it and planned for yourself - I had my job 2 months before I retired, and terminal leave to cover me for the transition period. The resources were there to support me doing it - Job hunting leave for interviews, etc.. I knew that I was leaving the military and had my resume done, researched jobs, etc MONTHS in advance..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts