Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. New to this forum but not to bikes. I've been riding for probably 11 years on real motorcycles and dirt bikes since I was a kid but I'm having some trouble picking a new bike.

Basically I haven't owned a sportbike in a few years. My first sporty bike was a 93 Suzuki GSF400F Bandit. I still miss that bike. Since then I've owned some cruisers, bobbers and I've ridden some friends bikes like a mid 90s CBR900RR and recently an '01 R6.

I live in Idaho about 30 miles north of Boise in the mountains and it is prime riding territory. Most of the roads are 55-65mph and have really nice scenery, clean well maintained roads and plenty of bends to play with. I also ride 80 miles round trip 2-3 times a week to rehearse with my band. This ride includes leaving my small town, hitting a 27 mile highway of 65mph the entire way and then riding a 2 lane back road that is 30-40mph. Traffic is light. I avoid driving the main roads in Boise even in my car, lots of traffic and lots of idiots.

So I want a bike that I can ride to and from practice on the regular. Something to have fun on. Handling is my biggest concern with power being second. Something light and fun but would like to be able to keep up with my buddies R6 and haul the occasional passenger (my gf). I'm not looking to blow a lot of money either. I'm selling my convertible Mustang because gas mileage is killing me on my band practice commute. After I pay some other stuff I need (new guitar) I'll have around $2000 or so to spend on a bike. That might not sound like much but there are some nice deals to be had around here. I'm 6ft and 210lbs.

Right now I'm looking at:

1995 Honda CBR600F3 - Has a broken tach and highish miles (32k) for $1900 but is very clean, new sprockets, chain and tires. Aftermarket plastics (Black and orange) runs like a top.

1993 Honda CBR600F2 - New tires, battery and chain. Under 15k miles and runs great but has plain white plastics for $1500. Guess the plain fairings is ok because I can do whatever I want to it, like an empty canvas but also makes me worried it may have been dumped a few times.

2001 Suzuki SV650 - Looks great, has under 5k miles. Turns over but does not run for $1200. Donated to a local youth ranch and previous owner said he thought he did something wrong when adjusting the fuel system. My brother and I have rebuilt car and bike engines so no big deal. Seems more of a beginners bike but some friends keep telling me they are solid and for that price hard to pass up. Mileage and year is appealing but low hp isn't.

2000 Honda VFR800 Interceptor - 44k miles but has new clutch slave cylinder, new BMC air filter, new spark plugs and wires, new Delkevic cat-less header, and a new rear tire for $2100. Bike is yellow but has black side fairings and again worried it was dumped.

1997 Yamaha YZF 600 - 9065 miles and immaculate for $2500. Beautiful blue and white and looks to be very well maintained.

Other bikes I've seen but not really considering:

1987 Honda CBR1000 Hurricane - Runs and rides $1200. Mileage not listed. Not considering because older tech and heavy.

2000 Yamaha R1 - It's a street fighter and has black tank but white tail and front fender but claims it runs perfect and rides straight $1800 14k miles. Seems suspicious.

1989 Kawasaki Ninja 600 - Looks really clean. Turns over but doesn't run for $1000 OBO. Again old and been told not the best bike for handling.

I know some people will say I shouldn't get an older 90s bike and should just save up for something newer but I want to ride this year while I can. Can typically ride through late October here. Plus I like the 90s bikes, they were the new hotness when I was in high school so the nostalgia and price is appealing. Not looking to win any show trophies or drag races, just want something fun, peppy and reliable. I don't ride obnoxiously and not into stunting. Maybe a wheelie here and there. Not going to grab the first thing that comes along either though.

I really like the early/mid 90's Interceptors but they seem rare around here. Most I see are mid to late 80s. Seen some early 2000s Bandit 1200's in my price range but not really planning on doing much touring. Just commuting and weekend joy riding. Comfort is a concern but I wasn't uncomfortable on the 900rr or the R6.

Any ideas on the bikes I've listed or other bikes to look out for would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Sled Head
654 Posts
Out of all those bikes you listed, I would take the 97 yzf with 9k miles. You said it is immaculate, I have owned one and they are great bikes. Also very low miles and clean, sounds better then the rest to me. Also it will have plenty of power.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I'll second the YZF, but I'm biased cause I currently own a 2003. Based on your needs, I would say it is the most versatile on your list. Decent wind protection and comfortable seat and ergonomics for highway commuting and passenger. Plenty enough power and sport to enjoy the twisties. I paid $3800 for an '03 with 11,000 miles. You might be able to negotiate that price a little more. Here's a few pics of mine...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. Yeah the YZF is a one owner bike that hasn't been dropped or anything. It's in amazing condition, especially for being 16 years old.

The SV650 is still tempting because it's also in great condition and so cheap ($1200) I'm betting we could get it running in a couple hours. It's the newest of the bikes and has the least miles (under 5k) but I do realize that it's more of a sport-touring bike. I'd have plenty of customization money left over.

But the YZF is just badass.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts