Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone this is my first post. Just looking for some advice from some seasoned riders. I am 20 years old and got my first bike last year and love it. I got a used 250 ninja and have been riding it. I'm pretty level headed and don't consider myself one of the squids out there. I'm a rather small guy so keep that in mind. I'm 5'6 and 117 pounds.

I want to move up from my 250, but I'm trying to be reasonable as well. Can I handle a 600 at my size? If I should shy away from the 600 then I am looking at choosing between the 300 ninja or the cbr 500. Obviously the 500 would be the b***** upgrade in cc's, but from what I'm reading it really doesn't do much more than the lighter 300. Money isn't really an issue as I've worked and saved up.

So I guess my question is what would you choose between the two bikes? Or should I jump up to the 600. I really love the gsxr, but I'm just wondering if I should?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Have you considered a Ninja 650? Beautiful bike and a very reasonable step up from your 250 (I think the HP is around 70 or so).

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
How many miles have you put on the 250? What kinds of riding do you do primarily? (Commuting, long trips, country roads?) Do you have experience riding in rain?

If under 10k miles, get a 500 or 650. If more, you're probably ready for a 600 if thats the type of bile you want

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
What kind of riding do you want to do?

how much riding on your 250 have you done?

If you have money to the point that you are thinking about buying new, go to a dealer and do some test rides.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I have around 7-8k miles on the 250 when the weather has permitted. I have very limited experience in rain. I use it to commute about 35 miles one way and then back fairly often and occasional rides that last as an all day event. It's mainly highway with a few back roads. I've road curvy roads but I've never acted crazy on them or anything.
I do have some interstate that I have to drive if I get my new job.

I have a dealer close that sells every kind of bike imaginable. I got the feel of the cbr 500 and loved it. The 300 wasn't impressive. Stiff and hard as a brick on your butt. How obvious is the weight difference on the 500 or 650?

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
The 650 and 500 will probably weight about the same. Try getting a test ride on a 600, see if you even like the riding position. If you're not going to be riding hard in twisties often then it might be a waste, something more comfortable might suit you better. Maybe an FZ6, Or a Ninja 650R or the new FZ07.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
222 Posts
I would suggest something from the following:

FZ6R
Ninja 650R
SV650
Versys

If you decide to go SS at your size:

2006+ GSXR 600 or 750.

·
Registered
10,734 Posts
For the experience you have, I think the FZ6R, Ninja 650R, or SV650 would be good bikes to throw in the mix.

So much of sport riding is about the rider. At a track day, I got my ass handed to me by a kid on a Ninja 250 who just knew how to get every ounce of speed out of that thing. He was so smooth and natural. It really was impressive.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 650 and 500 will probably weight about the same. Try getting a test ride on a 600, see if you even like the riding position. If you're not going to be riding hard in twisties often then it might be a waste, something more comfortable might suit you better. Maybe an FZ6, Or a Ninja 650R or the new FZ07.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
The riding position is really holding me back for sure. Just sat on a couple 600's (gsxr and cbr) and hate how low the handle bars are into the gas tank. Probably just made my mind up in itself. I'll start looking for a more comfortable ride.

·
Registered
10,734 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
The riding position is really holding me back for sure. Just sat on a couple 600's (gsxr and cbr) and hate how low the handle bars are into the gas tank. Probably just made my mind up in itself. I'll start looking for a more comfortable ride.
Nothing wrong with more street-oriented ergos. I will say that you might get used to SS ergos pretty quick though. Daytonas are known for being brutal, but after a couple weeks it felt totally natural.

That said, if you don't like it, you don't like it :) Everyone has their own preferences and priorities.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
FZ09 or the upcoming FZ07 might be worth a look if you're looking for a new bike. A 6th gen VFR800 is a very nice bike if you're looking at used. They started in 2002, not sure when they stopped. It's about as fast as a 600ss once you hit VTEC at 6800 rpms but below 6800 rpms it's as docile as an EX500. The riding position is about the same as the 250. A little more sporty than touring but nowhere near unbearable. It looks heavy on paper but it carried it's weight well IMO. I'm 5'7 130 lbs and I could handle it with no problem at all.

What do you mean by upgrade? Faster, nicer build quality, better handling, all 3? There isn't a wrong answer, it'll just let us help you a little better. I think after 8,000 miles you'll be ok with pretty much whatever you want.

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
Missed the OPs second post.

·
b4k4 b4k4
65 Posts
To the OPs question: The 650 is a great bike and very cool looking. You'd probably also be alright on a 600SS depending on how much real experience you have (I think measuring in mileage is also not a great indicator; this is a very fluid thing - really both time and mileage should be considered).

Now, don't take this as me being an ass, more this is a point I've been meaning to make for a while and you just happened to remind me of it with:

...I'm pretty level headed and don't consider myself one of the squids out there...
If you're a new(er) rider and you place this in a post about which bike to get, carefully consider what you're asking. Usually its followed up with "Which Super Sport will be best for me?!" - an absolutely insane question. If you use a statement like this you probably already know the answer - get a 250/500/etc...

Anyway, that was a bit of a tangent and as noted, not aimed at flaming the OP; more that he just provided me with an easy soapbox. ^_^

1 - 16 of 16 Posts