Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the iPhone 4. When you push the screen to the far right a tab opens up where you can search the phone apearently. I typed in a few letters and it brought up deleted emails. How is that possible? Is there anyway to clear that? It had a little blue dot next to the subject line when it listed them but not on others so I'm assuming that means it was deketed, but why does it still show up if I go in Yahoo and they are deleted?

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK I found out where to toggle what comes up in "spotlight search", but how is it listing deleted emails?

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
Depending on how you have your account set up, when you contact Yahoo (I'm assuming that's the mail account you are talking about), messages are downloaded and cached on the phone. If you are using POP to get your mail, vs IMAP, this is very likely to be the case. Tell us more about how you have mail set up on the iPhone (POP, IMAP, or something else, your IOS version) and we can give some better info.

KeS

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Kevin. I looked and it had SMTP? I don't know the items you posted. I didn't configure my Yahoo to the phone a buddy did.

·
Mediocre Strafer
9,137 Posts
SMTP is how you send mail, one of the others (POP, IMAP) is how it's received. If I have a chance I'll do a little digging on the Yahoo account type.

Suffice it to say that some of the mail gets cached on your phone, and that's why it showed in search results. You can usually go into the Trash or Deleted Items folder, and mark anything there, and actually delete it for good. There's also a setting in the Mail prefs for "Show x Recent Messages", which controls the size of the cache. And finally, you can encrypt the entire contents of the iPhone. Hope this helps.

KeS

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SMTP is how you send mail, one of the others (POP, IMAP) is how it's received. If I have a chance I'll do a little digging on the Yahoo account type.

Suffice it to say that some of the mail gets cached on your phone, and that's why it showed in search results. You can usually go into the Trash or Deleted Items folder, and mark anything there, and actually delete it for good. There's also a setting in the Mail prefs for "Show x Recent Messages", which controls the size of the cache. And finally, you can encrypt the entire contents of the iPhone. Hope this helps.

KeS
I went on yahoo itself and deleted the emails months ago. That's why I was shocked to see them show up on the phone.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm... anybody else see these 'deleted' emails?

:popcorn
No. Lol

It just confused me as to why do they show up so I can clear them out permently.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
I don't know about emails, but deleted text messages can show up the same way, at least they did on my old iPhones, and there is a very easy fix. When a text message is deleted from the phone, the phone deletes them from sight, but keeps them on the phone with 'instructions' to delete it permanently. It is only when you sync your iPhone with iTunes that it truly gets deleted. Don't ask me why they designed it this way... Maybe as a way to retrieve accidentally deleted items? Maybe because it's Apple and they like doing shit like that. Who knows. Like I said though, I don't know if the emails behave the same way, but it would be worth it to give it a try.

Oh, and fuck Apple.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't synch. Sigh. :(

I just use the prepaid cards to buy songs. The only reason I got the iPhone instead of another android. Well and the fact my last three androids flat out died. The last one fried the card and I lost years worth of pics.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
yeah... sync your phone with iTunes to get rid of them permanently.

They are basically stored in a trash can with a "ready to delete" setting and they don't actually get deleted from memory until they are sycned to iTunes.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
and max... I'm pretty sure that's exactly why they designed it that way.

I actually like it compared to android, and here is why. On my android, if I had 1000 messages in a conversation and I deleted that conversation, my entire phone would be useless for the next 10-15 minutes while it deleted a bunch of shit.

Since the iPhone is basically just "Hiding" them in a "ready to delete" folder, the phone doesn't lock up like that.

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
and max... I'm pretty sure that's exactly why they designed it that way.

I actually like it compared to android, and here is why. On my android, if I had 1000 messages in a conversation and I deleted that conversation, my entire phone would be useless for the next 10-15 minutes while it deleted a bunch of shit.

Since the iPhone is basically just "Hiding" them in a "ready to delete" folder, the phone doesn't lock up like that.
Hmmmm, I can see where that would actually be useful. Still don't like Apple, but I'll admit that makes a whole lot of sense.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone.

Synch question. My oldest has an iPhone now and used to have an iPod touch. Wife also has both. When we hooked up my daughters iPhone it erased all her songs and started installing my wife's library even though they each had their own iTunes account on the PC. That's why I'm hesitant to connect my phone. I have 250 songs.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
There is an option in itunes to prevent auto sync.

Apple computer:
select preferences under the iTunes menu, then select devices and there is a check box that says "prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from synching automatically"

Windows computer:
Open iTunes and select preferences under the edit menu. Click devices, and then click the check box (same checkbox as mentioned above)

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There is an option in itunes to prevent auto sync.

Apple computer:
select preferences under the iTunes menu, then select devices and there is a check box that says "prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from synching automatically"

Windows computer:
Open iTunes and select preferences under the edit menu. Click devices, and then click the check box (same checkbox as mentioned above)
Thank you.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
HOWEVER, now that I think of it, even if you turn that off you're still going to have to manually click the "sync" button to get rid of those emails, which I'm fairly certain will do the same thing... I dunno though.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Ok so I've been screwing around with my phone and itunes and this is what I recommend trying

Step 1: Turn the auto sync off by clicking the "prevent iPods, iPhones, and iPads from synching automatically" check box (instructions listed above)
step 2: Plug phone into computer
step 3: select the phone in iTunes so that all of the phone preferences come up
step 4: at the bottom of the phone preferences you should have a check box that says "Manually manage music and videos" check the box and click the "apply" button
If you get a message that the phone is set up to sync with a different iTunes library click cancel and I have no more advice for you haha.
step 5: Click the "sync" button.

If the email still shows up in the search after that then what kevin was saying... it still physically exists in your iPhone mail application even though you deleted it from yahoo.

So if it is still there open up the iPhones built in mail application and look in the inbox, spam, trash, and archived folders to see if it is still in one of them.

·
Deutsche Rüstungsteilung
14,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Mr. Sin. I looked in the phone mail section and they are gone, yet can still be read in that search thing if you scroll left all the way.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts