Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm living in Italy right now, currently riding a 2001 Aprilia RS250, I love the bike, but I would like something a little b*****. I could go with the typical 600 or 1000cc 4-stroke, but I've been there and done that several times over. I'd love to feel some real power from a NSR500 V4 2-stroke. I've seen some NSR250's for sale, but can't find a NSR500 anywhere, are they even available for public sale? No, I'm not worried about registering it, I just want to buy it, and ship it home with me (that's taken care of too thanks to the USAF) as a race bike. Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated. I am willing to PAY for this bike, I want it that much.

Thanks,
Jason

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, the more I read the more it seems that I can't obtain it. I found a site where a guy did a RGV500 motor in an Aprilia RS250, but it required alot of modifications. Dangit, I love my RS250 but I want more power, this is the funnest bike I have ever owned. I would love to have a similar GP style bike. Like an NSR500, but it seems I can't get one, so what other options are out there? I've seen the Suzuki RGV 500 but it's an ugly little machine, I wouldn't mind doing the RS250 to 500 conversion but I didn't want something 1 of a kind that I won't be able to find parts for because it's completely fabricated. Anyone have any other suggestions? I'd really like to stay in the 2 stroke world but be able to keep up with (and pass) the 600 4-strokes in the straights (not just the corners).

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
There was one on eBay yesterday if I'm not mistaken.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Problem is, that's a 250, not a 500 =(

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha, I figured as much. No, I'm not rich, so maybe this: http://www.isk.kth.se/~isk_joan/Aprilia_RS500.htm isn't too bad of an idea. Aprilia RS250 with an RG500 motor in it. 160mph top speed, plenty for me, and double the horsepower of the RS250. So for around $10k I could have a completely unique bike that most people wouldn't be able to keep up with on the track, problem there is lots of custom work, and finding a mechanic to do it, also if I crash on the track, might get spendy having custom parts fabricated every time. Hummmm, any ideas?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Good news Honda has come out with a replacement for the NSR500. It's called the RC211V, not sure what the price is, but if you have good credit i'm sure they can help finance you. :D :)

I don't think the NSR500 was ever a publicly sold street bike, I've heard of street NSR250cc and under, but nothing b***** than that. Anyways, good luck!

·
Registered
681 Posts
There's always the NS400R.......my bud has one, titled and licensed for the street here. V-3 2 stroke and 54RWHP.

Attachments

·
Official Forum Killjoy
3,642 Posts
WaRR3nTheEarguy said:
You bastard. I want that 250! :D

Rare bike on this side of the pond.

Huh? I saw no less than 3 last weekend

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WaRR3nTheEarguy said:
You bastard. I want that 250! :D

Rare bike on this side of the pond.

I'm considering bringing it back with me, but I don't want it as a street bike, just a track bike. I still haven't decided, maybe I'll just lighten the hell out of it and give it a couple other power mods. Also considering the SV650 as a track bike now that I've read a little about them. Any thoughts on the SV650 as a first race bike? How's running costs on them?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Is there a reason you are going through so much trouble to purchase a bike that is nearly the displacement of a 600? If not - BUY A 600cc bike, as they are much easier to find (used/new). ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
You don't want a 500cc two stoke like a nsr they need cranks every couple thousand mile and piston every 3-400 miles and the parts are outragous. Around 15K for a set of pistons and a crank.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Baldman said:
Is there a reason you are going through so much trouble to purchase a bike that is nearly the displacement of a 600? If not - BUY A 600cc bike, as they are much easier to find (used/new). ;)
A two-stroke 500cc bike puts out just as much power as a 1000cc four-stroke motor.

FYI: the 600s you speak of are four-stroke motors, less HP & TQ.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Lok said:
Good news Honda has come out with a replacement for the NSR500. It's called the RC211V, not sure what the price is, but if you have good credit i'm sure they can help finance you. :D :)

I don't think the NSR500 was ever a publicly sold street bike, I've heard of street NSR250cc and under, but nothing b***** than that. Anyways, good luck!
The RC211V can only be leased to race teams for around $200,000 USD a year.

Yes, the NSR500 was only sold as a race bike.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I need another member of the audience to...COME ON DOWN!

Blade-Runner said:
A two-stroke 500cc bike puts out just as much power as a 1000cc four-stroke motor.

FYI: the 600s you speak of are four-stroke motors, less HP & TQ.
You mean I have been mixing oil in my gas for nothing??!! :rolleyes:

Thanks, but Im pretty good at research - especially when Honda is my manufacturer of choice in almost everything. ;) Im not sure where you get your information from, but a 2-stroke has nowhere near the torque of a 4-stroke. Just as an I-4 cant compare to that of a 'twin'. HP is relative to torque until maximum HP is achieved.

BTW - Its not very accurate to compare a WGP bike (highly modified and rebuilt almost (if not) every race to a mass produced, retail bike (1000RR). Kinda like saying a Top Fuel dragster (V-8) has more hp/torque than a Viper (V-10). :rolleyes:

Here are the specs on ALL WGP bikes if you care to take note. HERE

If I read your post with the wrong attitude I apologize. Im just not much for being talked down to (as if Im incompetent) when I usually keep my post content factual (during technical posts) or stay quiet long enough to learn the answer(s). No harm, no foul, just keep it clean. :)

·
Registered
765 Posts
Blade-Runner said:
The RC211V can only be leased to race teams for around $200,000 USD a year.

Yes, the NSR500 was only sold as a race bike.
Psst...the RC211V leases to WGP teams for $1.5 million/year. ;)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts