Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys so my long time friend called me up earlier today and told me he just got his motorcycle license. He already passed the MSF course and finished the written test in the DMV earlier today. He asked me some advice on what motorcycle to buy. He already went to the dealer and liked the new Ninja 300R, but I recommended him to just look at the Ninja 250R because there is so much of them for sale and are dirt cheap. I found him a bike and he seemed to like it. It is a 2007 Ninja 250R. Has 12K miles and is all stock for $2000. Now I know the 2008+ are more sportier, but I read on a forum that they are very different from the older ones. Stuff we would want to know is how long the engine will last? being a 250 I am pretty sure it will be almost in red line on the freeway. He is planning on doing lots of freeway riding in CA (80MPH+). And how often do these bikes need a Valve adjustment and how much does it cost on lets say a local dealer? Thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
917 Posts
The engine longevity will vary greatly by how the owner(s) have treated it and will treat it. I haven't heard of the engine as being unreliable. According to the manual it requires a valve clearance check at 500, 10,000, then every 10,000 miles. I don't know the price, a Google search may get you a ballpark answer. It has just two cylinders, so that will lower the cost some.

You're not going to be at redline on the highway, even at 80mph. If it's an issue one easy way to make the RPMs a little lower at highway speed is to go with taller tires, which you need to do if you want a wider selection of tires. Stock is 100/80-16 in the front and 130/80-16 in the rear, and you can go with 100/90 and 130/90. Here is a pretty good resource for figuring out your engine RPMs at a certain speed, and how different tires or gears will affect it.
Ninja 250 Speed Calculator

I own a 2006 Ninja 250, all stock. I have /90 profile tires in the front and back and I'm around 9k-10k when going around 80mph. The issue at that speed is mostly that you get poor acceleration, but I don't find it to be a major downside to a motorcycle that performs well in a lot of other categories (such as handling and gas mileage).

faq.ninja250.org is a great resource and will probably help answer most of your questions. If it doesn't, their forum or this forum can probably help. At the least, they give good tips on valve adjustments so maybe your buddy can tackle that one himself.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Ninjette.org is good too. I think $2K is a little steep, but it should be a solid bike.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I think 2000 for that bike is too much. But yes, I would agree that any Ninja with under 10K miles on it would be a good choice for him to start on. I have never heard anything negative in terms of reliability about it, so i would assume he should have no worries in that department. I would think he would be replacing it within a year or two for something b***** anyhow.

·
Slowpoke
1,631 Posts
Valve adjustments are easy on the ninja. I did it before on my own with a how-to I found online. It just takes some time and patience. When I did it, up until that point, I had never done more than take the seat off of it. Anybody can do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Hey guys so my long time friend called me up earlier today and told me he just got his motorcycle license. He already passed the MSF course and finished the written test in the DMV earlier today. He asked me some advice on what motorcycle to buy. He already went to the dealer and liked the new Ninja 300R, but I recommended him to just look at the Ninja 250R because there is so much of them for sale and are dirt cheap. I found him a bike and he seemed to like it. It is a 2007 Ninja 250R. Has 12K miles and is all stock for $2000. Now I know the 2008+ are more sportier, but I read on a forum that they are very different from the older ones. Stuff we would want to know is how long the engine will last? being a 250 I am pretty sure it will be almost in red line on the freeway. He is planning on doing lots of freeway riding in CA (80MPH+). And how often do these bikes need a Valve adjustment and how much does it cost on lets say a local dealer? Thanks in advanced.
Freeway riding in general, needs a bike that can sustain more than 80 mph comfortably, to be competitive.

However New riders , dont really get what they need riding down the freeway. So its a catch 22 in that regard. Im just saying its not going to be a great freeway bike, but it can be done and you got to start somewhere, with learning control, without taking on too much.

·
Registered
592 Posts
If I am your friend and looking into getting a small cc bike, I would totally look for a FI bike like the 300; unless I have a very very limited budget.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Freeway riding in general, needs a bike that can sustain more than 80 mph comfortably, to be competitive.

However New riders , dont really get what they need riding down the freeway. So its a catch 22 in that regard. Im just saying its not going to be a great freeway bike, but it can be done and you got to start somewhere, with learning control, without taking on too much.
Competitive with what?

If I am your friend and looking into getting a small cc bike, I would totally look for a FI bike like the 300; unless I have a very very limited budget.
The CBR250R is another option for FI, along with the new CBR500. The Ninja 300 and the CBR500 are going to be 4-6K though and there isn't much of a used market for them yet. I think a bike with carbs is fine though, especially if the bike is in a warmer climate where you don't have to use the choke as much. So far using the choke hasn't been much of an issue for me in the winter, but it hasn't been that cold lately in VA.

·
Registered
21,263 Posts
My 2000 Ninja 250 started easier in the winter than my 675 does. Probably the battery, but in temps my 250 would still crank at, the 675 wouldn't crank. Was like that with both 675's.

·
Registered
48 Posts
~~
$2,000 is about what they go for in my area as well. But, for whatever reason, the Ninja 500's sell for about the same prices (average $2,200). If it's the same out there, could look into those as well. No one seems to mind suggesting them for a starter bike and they'd have a bit more power for the freeway. Although it should be quite a while after starting to ride that your buddy starts trying to ride on cali's freeways.

Reliability should be a non issue. Kawa had what? Like 20 years to perfect that bike and I've never heard of anything on them other than poor maintenance issues and things of that nature.
~~

·
Registered
243 Posts
Ive been riding for 7 years, I have a literbike, and though I want to sell my Ninja 250(its an 05) I'll be sad when it goes.. what a great little bike that will go over 100mph+, get 65mpg+ when beating on it...and tires are cheaper than dirt for it.
On second thought, maybe I should keep it for track duty?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts