Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how much is maintance on a 2008 ducati 1098...

looking to upgrade from my 08 kawi zzr600 to a 1000 and found out my friend can hook me up with a 25% discount at our local ducati dealership...should i get it one or should i just get a new 1000 gsxr or cbr?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Well, I'll try to post something useful. According to this, the 1098 will cost you:

600 mile service - $144.38
7500 mile service - $ 256.88
15000 mile service - $ 362.20
After 7500 mile Valve service (“Service A”) - $ 294.80
After 15000 mile Valve service (“Service B”) - $366.30

These, I believe, are kind of low, but can be indicative of what you will be paying. Your best bet is to simply ask your friend or someone else from the Ducati shop how much they normally charge for each service.

I do have to ask, though, how long have you had your current bike? Is this one your first? Now, if you can actually get a 25% discount on a Ducati, then I would actually suggest trying out the 848 instead. It's supposed to be an absolutely awesome bike. It will definitely feel more powerful than your current one.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
i dont know but i have two friends who bought a ducati this summer both bikes were in for repairs(not maintenance) in the first month

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah a guy at my work say that they are back and forth in the shop and to stick with japanese bikes...

·
Moto GP Champion
505 Posts
The maintenance really isn't that bad. The 1198 will be out soon and there are good discounts and financing options on 1098's right now.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
yeah a guy at my work say that they are back and forth in the shop and to stick with japanese bikes...
Honestly, if you can get a new bike for such a good deal, why not buy one and sell it for profit?

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
It's a very fine machine, and if you actually want one, you should get it. Maintenance is more expensive than for a Japanese literbike, although not hugely so. If you are inclined to upgrades and modifications, those can be significantly more expensive for a Ducati.

For specifics, you should ask the dealer involved what they charge for the services; that will answer your question far more accurately than any of us could.

It's not, however, generally a good idea to buy a Ducati in order to save money. They do take a bit more money and effort than Japanese bikes, so for that to be worth it you have to want one more than you want a Japanese bike.

Given your unsureness, I'd be inclined to suggest you'd be better off to get "a new 1000 gsxr or cbr".

PhilB

·
Registered
844 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Why are you looking to upgrade? Your ZZR is like brand new! Not even a year old yet!!! How many miles does it have? How long have you been riding for?

Asking about bikes like the 1098 in the way you are is a very squidly thing to do and I'm just making sure you're not gonna get in over your head with power...

·
Fool of the universe
1,311 Posts
What happened to Chi Town Rydah? He could probably tell you the maintenance costs.
THAT made my day... :lao

thank you sir :cheers

·
You're a Daisy if ya do
8,534 Posts
all of my buds with Ducs, actually work on them, themselves. what a concept.

Parts can be a little pricey though. I think a set of belts are like $80 or something.

They're like any other mechanical object. There is no magic involved in working on one.

Just knowledge and tools

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I do have to ask, though, how long have you had your current bike? Is this one your first? Now, if you can actually get a 25% discount on a Ducati, then I would actually suggest trying out the 848 instead. It's supposed to be an absolutely awesome bike. It will definitely feel more powerful than your current one.
Any updates, surrender? What are your thoughts on the 848? How much actual experience do you have on the ZZR?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Although the services are more expensive than a Jap bike, the intervals are a little longer. The Ducati dealership does bend me over, but I bring it to them for anything that's on the maintnance schedule so I dont risk voiding my 2 year warranty.

My first service at 600 miles cost me $300 and the second service which is coming up at 7500 miles is going to cost me $600ish.

Btw...3 months and 5800 miles later, i've had no problems with my 848.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
ive had my bike for bout 7 months now and ive got close to 6100 miles on it lol i use it as a daily driver...if i were to get the duc i would only be using it as a second bike for some rides and keep my zzr as my primary trans....i would do a 848 but why spend that much on a bike thats not a 1000....

im not a big thing for upgrades the only thing i would really touch on the bike would be an exhaust to make it lighter and improve it alil...i love my bike its bone stock i got by the "if it aint broke dont fix it" and if it does brake i buy an after market part lol....

Yes the zzr is my first bike and maybe it is "squidly" of me to ask the question but i just wanted to do alil more research on the ducs before i do make a plung in getting one....Im not trying to get in over my head with power on the bike ive been riding bike since i was 9 and i love it....i wouldnt been thinking about a duc if i didnt think i was ready and had some other people tell me that im ready for a liter bike...

But as for the duc ima go look at the 848 and the 1098's on weds at the dealership just to see if i like them and i might do a test ride to see if i like how the bike is but ill keep you updated on my choice...Thank you all for you input and the help if theres any other things you would like to say about the bikes please say so MORE KNOWLEDGE THE BETTER...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts