Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After installing the Two Brothers Racing pipe with no Cat and putting in the Power Commander PC3 usb with custom map, my engine now surges when idle. When I monitor the rpms at idle, they will bounce from 1000-1500 rpms. Using the PC3 software, how can I adjust the map to give me a more consistant rpm idle speed? I want to stay around 1400 - 1500 rpm's unless that is not a good idea. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Try adjusting the idle to spec. 1250-1350 rpm. I suspect that the PC is trying to compensate from a too low idle screw setting.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'd get the idle set to factory specs with the PC out of the loop, then test the results. I don't remember at what RPM the PC kicks in, but if your idle is set at 1400-1500 you may be running into a point where the PC is adjusting the fuel when there isn't throttle input yet...just a thought...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My question is "how do I set the idle?" I'm not sure how to do it and the Power Commander instructions are very vague about all the settings and what they mean.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Not with the PC. From the left side of the bike near the top spar of the frame is a big idle-set screw (phillip thread). Turn this until you get the correct idle. Also, have your throttle bodies been adjusted yet?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, didn't know that's how to set the idle. No, I have not had the trottle bodies adjusted since I bought the bike. Is this something I will need to have done?

·
Registered
291 Posts
This is a periodic service item. Generally done on the intial break-in service and every 8000 miles (if I remember correctly) from there. It will affect idle which in turn could have an impact on your surging issue. All speculation though :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up playing with the idle just now and have it set for around 1100-1200 rpms. 1400 - 1500 was too much. Went for a short ride and it acts much better too. Bugduc, I took out the small screens in the back of the pipes. Were they suppose to reduce the noise or is it a flare reducer?

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
RBC827 said:
I ended up playing with the idle just now and have it set for around 1100-1200 rpms. 1400 - 1500 was too much. Went for a short ride and it acts much better too. Bugduc, I took out the small screens in the back of the pipes. Were they suppose to reduce the noise or is it a flare reducer?

Try adjusting the idle to spec. 1250-1350 rpm.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
segue00 said:
Try adjusting the idle to spec. 1250-1350 rpm.
The surging was still happening in that rpm range. If that is the factory specs, then I guess I will have to have the throttle bodies played with as well. What does something like that cost at the shops?

·
Registered
291 Posts
RBC827 said:
Simply for decibel reduction.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts