Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were building a garage for yourself, what would you want it to be like?

My wife and I are in the process of planning for building a house. We pretty much have all the house plans decided, but I need a few ideas for a garage. Since we're building new, we want to make sure we do it right the first time and get a good enough garage that we will be happy with for quite a while. It should be either a 3 car garage or a 2 stall garage with a good sized shop area on the side. We are actually looking for a kit, kind of like what you would buy from Menards or Home Dopot. Once we get a concrete pad poured, we can put it together ourselves. Plus, it doesn't have to be attached to the house.

I might have found a good Menards kit. The size is 30'W x 45'L x 12'H with two 9' x 10' steel overhead doors plus the walk-in door. I was thinking with the building being that deep that we would have room to pull one vehicle up far enough to get my morotcycle or our mower out behind the vehicle and through the door. That's over 1200 sq. ft., so I'm thinking I would be more than happy with the room. We can also get into a 3 stall garage for around 900 sq. ft. (28W x 32L), but I'm affraid we might start to run out of room too soon.

So again, if you were building your garage, what would you be looking for?

·
Registered
584 Posts
I would look for at least enough room to freely put 2 cars and a bike side by side. To be able to get either one of them out without moving/disturbing the other 2. I would like to have enough room on the side to also put some tool-chests . Another thing is the floor. I know that my garage has to have linolium (sp) in it (kind of like in the dealerships). No more concrete flooring for me

·
So Sexy it hurts
687 Posts
I have a 2 car garage right now..it's 25x25 and I've got the wifes durango, my full size ext cab chevy, the bird, the CB, a fridge, air compressor, 7ft tall 4 ft wide tool box and 6 36" wide 7 ft tall 2 ft deep shelf stacks in there.....TIGHT, but least everything I have is dry and safe

I have a barn thats 25x12 I keep the vette, ducati, riding mower, cb450, trailer, and all the yard tools in....but I want a b***** building out back

I'd LOVE about a 26x40 3 bay. 2 9x9 doors and a pair of double 3's for the bikes/mower

26 would be deep enough for any vehicle I get (trucks 19.5ft) and with the double doors in front of th 3rd bay that would keep me from abusing it as a motorcycle shop :lol

·
Registered
691 Posts
Another thing to think about is putting some room up top to store things and what not. Just have a ladder to get up to it. You would be surprised how much room you will have to put stuff that has no other place to be stored. Also, make sure you make it big enough to walk around the vehicles so you aren't cramped if you have to do some work on them.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Others have given great ideas for the building itself. I'd say, get the b***** one. I've never seen or heard of anyone that thought their garage was too big.

For real convenience, see if you can plan the house/garage so that there is at least a fully covered walk between the two, if not attached, with the closest room in the house with a door either the kitchen or laundry room. Think of all the times you go to the grocery store or whatever in bad weather and want to get stuff from the car/truck to the house. The stuff usually wants to go into the kitchen. Plus, when you are headed back to the house from working in the garage, you can clean up easily in the laundry or kitchen before you get to the carpeted part of the house.

I once looked at a house that had the garage connected to the master bedroom. No way.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
CasterTroy said:
are you KIDDING?

I wake up at 2am all the time just to go LOOK at my bike...and have to walk over 100ft thru the house to get to the garage...having it bedside would ROCK :lol
You, sir, may want to consider some additional interests. :D
Yeah, it might be OK once in a while, but all the time?

·
Swollen Member
745 Posts
If you end up going with a 2-wide (2-door), be sure to go deep. My current house fits a VW Golf great, my Buick barely, and a Caddy not at all. And forget about a boat w/ trailer.

If you've got the overhead, consider an extensive attic for long-term storage.

Get an opener with a keyless entry for the outside, like a keypad. Useful in MANY ways.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a 24x50 garage attatched by a breezeway ;17 foot single garage door. I have the trusses floored for storage in 32x24 area of it. I also built a 18x24 space that has vaulted ceilings for the getaway room which has TV sitting area and doouble doors leading fromthe garage area to this area. I can park my bikes inn either place. I have double patio doors leading to the back yard. I may add another16x16 space for the bikes only connecting to the vaulted ceiling space. My wife and I built it ourselves for $8000.00 including monolithic concret slab and trusses.

·
Registered
109 Posts
CasterTroy said:
got floor plans/elevations/pics of that? I'd be interested in that myself

You even ROOFED it yourself?

I can do all that, but I'm NOT a roofer
I got some pictures I am looking for right now...they may be at home if not I'll have to snap a few.

I hated the roof part. I hate heights. It was a 9/12 pitch 24 feet wide. I did a lot of praying on that roof. Tied the roof in to the breezeway even.
I layed it out, Dug footers, finished the concrete(a former concrete finisher), put siding on (easy except the very top on the ends) Trusses are easy with the help 2 of my riding partners ...other than that ...My wife is a real trooper. We dug a pond over the last week. A sorority girl with a shovel...picture that!!!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm going to replace my current, attached garage that is about 25' x 25' and has a flat roof/deck on top with something more useful for me. I'm going to push part of it back for a total of about 37' deep, widen it to about 32' and raise it to about a 9' ceiling height. I'm entertaining the idea of having the whole thing poured...floor, walls, roof. My intent is to have it ready to build a great room on top of it some day too. I also plan on expanding it in other areas too so I can have a utility room to put a furnace in to keep it heated in the winter. :)

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
Or try what I had for 10 years, a 100,000 sq ft warehouse with a small 2 story living aera built inside 10,000sq. It was awesome. Then the lease ran out and I had to move into a 1700sq ft crackerbox : ( If I can ever find another warehouse like I had I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Krazy Hawaiian said:
Or try what I had for 10 years, a 100,000 sq ft warehouse with a small 2 story living aera built inside 10,000sq. It was awesome. Then the lease ran out and I had to move into a 1700sq ft crackerbox : ( If I can ever find another warehouse like I had I'd do it again in a heartbeat.
My God...that would be a motorhead's dream! And just imagine the parties one can have in there!!!

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
I'd put in a central vacumm system in it. Run pipes all throughout the garage with numerous connections along the way. It's relativily in-expensive (last i checked). I'd also put in a large air compressor and have tubes run for that as well.

Something else that would be nice, a neighbor used to have, was one of those pits where he could walk down below the car and work on it. Not sure of the correct name. Personally I'd but a hyrdraulic lift in. :twofinger

1 - 16 of 16 Posts