Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having some difficulty removing the cowling. I'm attempting to replace the two panels that each front turn signal attaches to...the previous owner cracked each panel right where the stalks attach to the panels...the signals are held in only by a thread of panel on each side now. In order to reach the forward screw in each panel, the cowling's got to come off.

Anyway, I've cleared away the inner panels, the windshield, and mirrors, plus I've removed all the screws holding the main bit of cowling.....except ONE it would appear. It looks like there is one screw, centered right behind the instrument cluster, holding the entire works on. I can't figure out how to reach that screw because the cluster is right on top of it and I don't see an easy way to remove the cluster because the screws for it are in an equally impossible area to reach. The service manual's procedure for removing the cowling conveniently leaves out the instrument cluster from the diagram.

What am I missing?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Try removing the 2 screws ontop of the cluster that attach it to the cowling.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yea, I got those out. The cluster's only being held in by two rubber cushioned screws at the bottom of the cluster...with the head of those screws facing forward, well under the cowl and pretty much straight across from the last screw holding the cowling on. Only if I were made of rubber would I have a snowballs chance in hell to reach those, lol...even then it looks impossible.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Try unscrewing the headlight from the cowling, and just remove the cowling by itself.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I was starting to do when I stopped to come in and see if I was going in the right direction. :) Wish my little apartment garage wasn't clear on the other side of the complex, lol.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Figured it all out...removing the headlight assembly was the key. Took me all night, but now I have new side panels (no FZ6 decals), new inner panels in the cowling, and new outer panels. Bike looks new, without a hint of the previous owner's drop and scrapes. Just have to avoid adding my own now, lol. :D

·
Registered
419 Posts
Burnspot said:
Figured it all out...removing the headlight assembly was the key. Took me all night, but now I have new side panels (no FZ6 decals), new inner panels in the cowling, and new outer panels. Bike looks new, without a hint of the previous owner's drop and scrapes. Just have to avoid adding my own now, lol. :D
Just move the FZ6 decals from the old side panels to the new ones.

Actually there still is proof that the bike was droped. The bike stores fault codes and theres one for droping the bike. Look into chapter 7 of the pdf manual on how to use the Diagnostic mode of the bike and how to erase the history.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts