Sport Bikes banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I had this charger given to me and it fried the battery on my 1 month old bike. I had left it on the whole winter as well -- was that wrong?

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...08474396672454

Now I just bought this one without doing the research first because I just ran out of time and the bike is now at my uncles. At least this way if you say its worth it then I just tell him to plug it in and I dont have to go back, anyways I digress, below is the charger - it says it has in integrated circuitry that prevents overcharging. Basically i used to see and when the charge bar goes to the top it turns green and the lights above the amperage and voltage settings extinguish.

SC-600A - 6/4/2 Amp Charger/Maintainer

So is this ok?

·
Diver Down
813 Posts
Doesn't say much about how it "maintains" the charge. I wouldn't trust it. Battery Tenders are specifically designed for maintaining batteries. They're not your average charger. I bought a Black & Decker battery maintainer from Walmart, and it boiled the water out of one of my boat batteries over a winter. My advice would be to take it back and buy a Deltran Battery Tender or Battery Tender Jr. (I use the Jr). Lots of people on these forums use them and have no problems with them. You can get a Battery Tender Jr for $30 on Amazon. You can leave it on all winter and it will preserve the life of the battery.

·
Duc hunter
1,269 Posts
i don't see why any battery charger/maintainer would overcharge by design. Its not like its hard circuitry to prevent that from happening...

·
Registered
936 Posts
This chargers minimum charge is 2 amps which is too high. Standard motorcycle charging rate is around 1 amp so that will likely cook your battery. Look for a trickle charger or the "Battery tender" which will charge when the battery gets below a certain level then when battery is back up it will stop charging. For my Suzuki, battery removal is recommended, keep battery in a warm location and then place the battery on charger once a month 1.2 amps for 5-10 hours.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts