Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm taking a trip with my 69 yr old father. We're doing the coastline of Michigan, then up to Canada and back down the west coast. We'll take 7 or 8 days so we aren't in a hurry and can stop and enjoy the sights. First take a look at this list and see if I've left anything out. Second if you're from Michigan and you can think of anything along the coast I shouldn't miss let me know.

Clothing-----
8 pr socks
8 pr underwear
5 T-shirts
3 pr jeans
Sweat shirt
Rain gear
2 pr gloves
Joe Rocket jacket
Misc-----
Pen
GPS
Map
Small flashlight
Cellular communication-----
Cell phone
Cell phone holder
Cell charger
Camera-----
Camera
Camera charger
2 memory cards for camera
2 batteries for camera
Bike to Bike Communication-----
Chatterbox
MP3 player
8 AA batteries for music
8 AAA batteries for music
3 extra Chatterbox audio cords
Ziplock baggie (rain protection for Chatterbox)
1 extra Chatterbox mounting bracket
Hygiene and personal-----
Q-tips
Deodorant
Small bottle shampoo
Small tube toothpaste
Tootbrush
Small bottle advil
Prescriptions
Small can shaving cream
Razor
Paperwork-----
Driver’s license
Birth certificate/passport
Registration/Canadian insurance card
Emergency contact sheet
Motorcycle-----
Chain lube
Small Plexus
Micro fiber clothes
Small Honda polish

·
Registered
548 Posts
Sounds fun. Let us know how it goes. Me and a buddy are doing the midnight run to the bridge in August, and probably come back along the west coast.

I can't really think of anything of hand to stop and see.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
ear plugs
advil, take before you start getting sore

bicycle riding shorts, wear them under your jeans

maybe even a camelback , water hydration system

·
Resident Freak
1,637 Posts
Good God... how much luggage space do you all have?

Two pairs of jeans are plenty. One pair will last a few days... bikers are supposed to smell.

The GPS is kind of a novelty, IMO. Maps are the best and one big Road Atlas from Wally World would be all I'd recommend.

Leave the razor and shaving cream. Grow a beard to go accentuate the dirty biker persona.

Add some basic tools to your inventory (unless your bikes have tool kits). Don't forget a half-used roll of duct tape (seriously).

I'll add more later.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Any road side assistance?? just a idea. I like that you have the bike to bike communication, that should come in handy. What kind of bike is Pops riding. Be safe and have a good time and stay away from the mounties aaayy.
You= :fiddy pops= :fiddy = :dblthumb:beer

·
Registered
361 Posts
i wouldn't worry about honda polish, the bike can get dirty, it's no big deal. Also, if you plan on staying in hotel rooms, they will have shampoo and soap, just a tooth brush, toothpaste and q-tips if you need them. also, if you are staying in hotel rooms, you can get away with just 4 pairs of socks and 4 pairs of underwear because, you can just wash the stuff at night. Also, I would bring just one pair of spare jeans, and the ones you are wearing, but I would rather be in full gear with biker shorts under. Also, bring a credit card (just incase)

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'd bring variously sized ziplock bags. Put anything/everything that you don't want wet in them. When my wife and i did our trip from DC to Charleston, SC (about 1300 miles round trip) we got stuck riding in the rain a couple times, and I was glad we used them. Wet clothes and electronics suck. We brought extras along too, gallon, quart sizes, mainly. And they don't really take up any extra room.

·
Registered
52 Posts
where are you going to cross into canada im thing macinaw city at any rate once you get there you need to take the trans canada highway all the way across once you get to calgary Ab and past the roads are wonderfull with lots of things to see mountains and wildlife becareful of the elk (oh by the way trans canada shows up on the map as highway 1)im going to upload a few pics me and my daugther took last month up there

(ill put them in my album)

·
Registered
27 Posts
i'd stop by the sleeping bear dunes in northern michigan, off the west coast.
it's $10 for a week pass, per bike, but the views are nice, and stocking drive is a good time. it's a winding, one lane road thats maybe 6 miles and runs out to the main dunes, it's fairly tight, so speeds don't get way out of hand.

park opens at 10am, when there is little traffic. i usually get a pass then go for a few laps. it's some of the best riding in michigan i think, and there's no cops.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=44.861588,-86.033421&spn=0.058027,0.120352&hl=en

highway 22 is a pretty good time too, from frankfurt to leeland.

chuck

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I would honestly dump over half the stuff you listed. I just carry 3 days of clothes (wear one), a flat fix kit, camera, sweater, rain gear, toothbrush and cell phone. I buy small things as needed on the trip and then throw them away.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts