Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad and i both have computers that are using a wireless router to share broadband internet. My laptop came with a G network card and my dad bought a net gear card. We can connect to the internet fine. what i need is to be able to share files and a printer. What we want to do is play counter strike with just the two of us. I know that this is confusing so i will answer any questions as promptly. Thanks for all your guys help. I have tried everything i can think of and googled it tons of times and nothing works.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
You have to make one of the PC's the host PC and the other will just be allowed to share from the host.
Clck on <Start> and then <Help and Support> and then search for "network"....One of the items will say "Walkthrough: Home Networking" Click on that link and it will step you through the process. This is on XP but all Windows has a network setup help page.

To play a network setup game, there should be a menu item for network in the game main menu...then one of the PC's will be the host again anf the other PC will connect to the IP address of that host.

·
Registered
183 Posts
setting up a wlan

If you both have Windows XP it is very simple. Go to the control panel and into network and internet options and use the setup wizard. Make sure that if you have a firewall you either let things through or turn it off till you have it set up and then renable after you have it set up. If you set up one computer then you can use a disk you create in the other computer to set it up. Make sure that you share the files and folders that you want as well as printers. After set up you will be able to go to my network places and view the other computers from there. Try this site for answers and problems if you have any, they are the best computer people I have found and answer posts very fast as well.

www.dslreports.com

·
Hardass!
8,085 Posts
Might be off the subject a little, but STEAM doesn't allow 2 people with the same IP playing (last time I checked at least)
Me and my friend couldn't play DOD because of it and we were networked. Nothing to do with your setup, just FYI to look into.
Also beware of wireless internet thieves who steal your wireless bandwidth also known as wardrivers.

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
Correct BW. +1 "but there IS a setting in the config that you change from 0 to 1 and it will play off line in lan mode. Thats how you setup a lan game." I know HL like I know my Mom :) cant recall the exact line but thats how its done. Hit the valve site and search the site for lan games. It will be easy to find.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the help i was able to set up the LAN no prop after a little trial and error but still couldent play counter strike so i will try the valve site to find out what to do next thanks agian. :beer

Ok i tried looking at the valve website and couldent find any thing. Also i tried the counter strike forums and i got nothing. so heres my problem: I start up stam on both computers, then on one i click start new game and it starts, on the seconed computer i click LAN games and it says that there are no games currently on my LAN. Help me figure it out please my moms kinda getting because i am using her computer too much and its still not working.

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
ehhhh just "reread" your top post. You need to run the neighborhood setup wizzard dood. Your comps arent quite xonfigured yet.

Go into netwoork properties, then look fot the setup a network and follow it through garuantee it will go then :dbltheub

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks i got it working sort of, me being the idiot i am i left firewalls on. But now i have another problem that i will start another thread on. Thanks agian :dblthumb

1 - 10 of 10 Posts