Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need some help. I'm a new rider (about 2 weeks now) and I have the helmet, jacket and boots, but I want to get something for my lower body. I have been considering either Joe Rocket Stage 1 pants or JR Phoenix pants.

Can anyone give me some insight from experence with either? I would like a pair that I can wear over my jeans because I'll be wearing them to work. I know leathers or always better, but I would like something cooler for the hot summer days.

Thanks for any help

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
i would probably bypass the stage I and get the phoenix. I had a mesh jacket and pants (the phoenix) and they held up well. as a matter of fact i crash tested the jacket and it held up very well. the pants do offer some amount of protection. Leather is better as you mentioned. the Phoenix pants are easily removed over pants and easy to put on. I would recommend them.

hope this helps.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
+1 for the JR Phoenix. They'll do what you are asking. Not the best protection, but better than just jeans.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses.
What does everyone else wear or recommend on a hot day?

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
you could get the mesh jacket that matches the pants and there are some gloves out threre are more mesh like. I don't know which one though as i only wear my gauntlet style. usually i don't ride during the day so i don't worry about it, but i have been known to act like a squid at times and well, if you are asking these questions nevermind what I do. you don't need to know....

·
Registered
452 Posts
If you're going to get mesh pants, I'd go with something that has real armor in it for more protection. Gericke sells a pair of mesh overpants with CE armor.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
sti27 said:
Thanks for the responses.
What does everyone else wear or recommend on a hot day?
Mesh gear is the coolest on hot days (obviously). When I got the JR Phoenix jacket and pants, that was the only mesh available. Now there are several choices. I would get a mesh jacket and pants with good armor and that zip together. Sorry I can't recommend a brand, but I'm sure there are reviews around. I know at least one guy who always wears mesh gear and puts a windbreaker over it when it's cold. The important thing is to get gear that you will wear every time you get on the bike.

·
Registered
14 Posts
just a thought

Just a thought if you are worried about harder armor-

I bought the Alpinestars Air flo pants and use Vanson's hard armor for the knees.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I went down the other day on the track and I've got alpine star racing pants and the joe rocket ballistic jacket. I've got road rash all over my arms from that damn jacket but not one scratch on my lower half. Those mesh/nylon jackets with armor will help with initial impact but all the sliding down the road afterwards will eat you up. I wouldn't recomment anything but fairly fittted leathers when your riding hard. Also, make sure you've got a tight fitting helmet. I was so thankful that I had my Arai when I was watching the road scraping under my face. Just my 2 pennies.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I've got a pair of Fieldsheer Titanium Air. They usually run about $109 in various places on the net. Very happy with them.

·
Registered
452 Posts
gixxum6 said:
I went down the other day on the track and I've got alpine star racing pants and the joe rocket ballistic jacket. I've got road rash all over my arms from that damn jacket but not one scratch on my lower half. Those mesh/nylon jackets with armor will help with initial impact but all the sliding down the road afterwards will eat you up. I wouldn't recomment anything but fairly fittted leathers when your riding hard. Also, make sure you've got a tight fitting helmet. I was so thankful that I had my Arai when I was watching the road scraping under my face. Just my 2 pennies.
Leather should be the only type of gear that you wear at the track.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts