Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi again! I'm about to replace my fork seals on my 2001 :gsxr1000 and I don't know what size my forks are? I have the manual but it doesn't say the size of the fork! just how to replace it!!!:bangdesk this has been a such of headache! any help would be grateful!

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
I can't help you on your size, but if a Google search doesn't yield any results, try calling a local dealer. I'm sure their parts department can help you out. You could also try looking at an online parts fiche. It may only give you an item number rather than a size, but it'll be a start.

Keep in mind that you'll need a fork seal driver to get them installed. You can buy that tool or you can make your own out of PVC pipe and a hose clamp, like I did.

·
Habitual line-stepper
11,594 Posts
I've always used a pvc pipe and the old seal to knock the new ones in. Never had a problem. I've done several gsxr's and the like.

Also, if you're wondering what size your forks are- go buy a pair of calipers and measure them. You should already have a set if you're debating doing fork seals on your own... it's one of the more useful tools to have in your garage.

And buying a fork seal driver for a bike is silly. You'll most likely only replace them once on this bike and then need a different size for the next bike you do it to. Just use a PVC pipe, it works fine. The last one I did I needed a 1.5" pipe for. I since have used it to plumb up a new drain on my kitchen sink, so it worked out perfect.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
I've always used a pvc pipe and the old seal to knock the new ones in. Never had a problem. I've done several gsxr's and the like.

Also, if you're wondering what size your forks are- go buy a pair of calipers and measure them. You should already have a set if you're debating doing fork seals on your own... it's one of the more useful tools to have in your garage.

And buying a fork seal driver for a bike is silly. You'll most likely only replace them once on this bike and then need a different size for the next bike you do it to. Just use a PVC pipe, it works fine. The last one I did I needed a 1.5" pipe for. I since have used it to plumb up a new drain on my kitchen sink, so it worked out perfect.
technically since the driver splits in half you can use it on a few different sizes.
the seals aren't hard to drive in they just need to be seated all the way. as long as you don't gouge or scratch the tube using it (wrap tape or a rag on the tube) it will work for many sizes.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
I think you messed up your links.

since the last set I did had leaked a tiny bit on one I decided to get all the proper shit this time around.
I bought a motion pro ringer driver, the fork bullet and level guage when I replaced my seals with all balls seals this past spring.
also make sure you use a grease lube on the seal lips. I used race tech's ultra slick seal grease. again, I have 2 tubs of synthetic wheel bearing grease but I wasn't sure if it is the same as a seal grease. it was only $5. and I didn't want to have to tear the shit back apart again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts