Sport Bikes banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have a 2004 gsxr 1000(7600 miles on it) and i went for a ride and i heard knocking noises when riding. sounds like its coming from the engine. higher the rpm, the louder the knocking noise. pull the clutch in and it still does it. doesnt matter if im drivin or sittin still, it still happens. oil level is fine too. im thinking it might be a valve or a rod. any1 have the same problem or have any idea of what it could be?

·
Head Rooster
3,438 Posts
if it was a cam chain the motor is likely fucked already. did it sound like grinding rocks? if so could be cam/valve related. if not wait for hybrid.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Is it a deeper knocking noise, or a ticking noise? Also, can you isolate the sound from the top end or bottom end of the engine?

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
lube your chain

nevermind i cant read.......if it does it while you're sitting still disregard my post....cause im a retard

·
THE BIG CHEEZE
2,744 Posts
CBRAWR said:
lube your chain

nevermind i cant read.......if it does it while you're sitting still disregard my post....cause im a retard
thats signature worthy! :lao

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
ASCI_Blue said:
if it was a cam chain the motor is likely fucked already. did it sound like grinding rocks? if so could be cam/valve related. if not wait for hybrid.
No, a loose camchain takes a while to destroy a motor

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
Simple deductions.

Pull the clutch in and if the noise persists........its in the engine and not the transmission shafts..........espescially if it speeds up with engine noise.

Next...........

Is it ticking at half the speed of the engine? Then its something with the valves or cams.......they run half speed of the crank.

Now for the test.

Put your bike up against a tall curb or something solid by pointing it at a brick wall or whatever...............now

Slowly bring up the engine to about 2K RPM and slowly let out the clutch like youre trying to do a burn out........just keep it right at about stalling speed........like youre lugging it out. If the noise gets really audible.........you my friend have the proud tradition of a brand new rod knock.

If this is so..............stop riding it immediately.

You may get lucky and not have any crank damage yet.................you may be able to just replace the rod and bearing.

Id replace all of them though.

Chances are its the #3 rod.......they tend to be the weakest in the link for most of the Japanese inline 4 engines..............as #3 and 4 share with the cylinder head so if you have any loss of pressure #3 is usually the farthest away fromt the pump's pressure and goes first.

Good luck

·
Registered
65 Posts
If it doesn't happen everytime the crank turns - like it is random, then it could be backfiring in the intake. A friend of mines bike was doing this, and it sounded internal to the engine at first, like a knock, until we figured out what was going on.

·
THE BIG CHEEZE
2,744 Posts
not to hijack, but what would it be if the engine is cold and the noise is there? and then after about 10 minutes it goes away? could valves just be really loud on a cold bike? I get a loud ticking/knockingish sound on startup when its cold and it speeds up with the engine, but once the bike is warm it dissapears. While you have the loud ticking the bike is sluggish and needs to be warmed up more. Once the bike is warmed up and rides like normal the ticking is gone.

it is most audible when the choke is on.

~mikeym

·
RESIDENT ASSHOLE
8,497 Posts
youre hearing loose valves...........the noise goes away when it warms up because metal expands as it heats up and takes up the clearance.

If I remember your engine correctly........it uses a sliding rocker arm.........and is really easily adjusted.

·
THE BIG CHEEZE
2,744 Posts
^ thanks hybrid! thats what i thought. I'm not sure about the slider arm thing I really am not very familiar with the engine other than what I have read from the book... I need to do a valve adjustment thats probably it then!

Thanks man :)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
to me it sounds like its comin from the bottom of the engine (could be wrong since i havent figured out exactly where it was comin from). it doesnt matter if its cold or hot its still there. its audible around 3k and up. its sounds almost as if the piston is hittin the spark plug but its not. its a knocking noise not a tick. i have a feeling its a rod though.

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
Fireball, sounds like you better stop riding the bike until you have a professional check out the bike. Trying to verify and isolate noises is hard enough with the bike infront of you; it's like a retard trying to fuck a doorknob over the internet.

Like Hybrid said, if it is indeed a rod, you need to stop running it. Once that bearing spins, you need a new crank, and alot of times, new engine cases.

·
Head Rooster
3,438 Posts
I think I misread 'loose' as 'off', Honda car stealer didn't put a timing belt on and tried to start mah car. It got crunchy.

Howver you are of course correct, CC(T) takes a while.

Veefer97 said:
No, a loose camchain takes a while to destroy a motor

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
still havent figured out wuts wrong, need to bring it to the shop, but wondering if any1 knows if the noise is a valve. i just figured out the knocking noise only happens when the bike has been running for a little and doesnt happen when its cold. does any1 know how to distinguish if its a spun bearing or a loose valve or a rod? Its a knocking noise that happens only when the engine is over 100 degrees, happens in neutral or in gear riding or sitting still. doesnt happen when its idling but happens over 3000 rpms and up and happen more often the higher the rpms. Any1???

·
mmm mmm good...
6,958 Posts
refer to hybrids post.....valves tick...rods knock.

i'll not go into the hydrodynamic bearings, but either way (valve or rod bearing) quit running it or you'll be getting a new engine. tear it down or have it tore down....as said before, if that bearing spins, or the valve gets too loose, you'll be the owner of a trashed engine.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
damn i have to say hybrid knows his stuff. took apart the motor and found out the noise was caused from a shot #3 rod bearing. luckily i caught it just in time before it did any damage to anything else.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts