Sport Bikes banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I HAVE SOLVED MY PROBLEM, BUT READ IF YOU WANT A LAUGH

I have my 2008 ZZR tore down putting on some Gregg's flushmounts. I pulled the nose off, unplugged the harness and wired up the flush mounts. I plugged the harness back in to test it before putting it back together and my headlights do not work now. I even rewired the stock blinkers to see if the Greggs were causing problems. Here is what is going on:

Third light in front works
Turn signals work front and back
Brake light works
Tail light works
It appears all the other lights are working but no headlights on low or high.

I pull the seat and the checked the fuses in the box and all are ok. I saw in the manual where the headlight also has a fuse off to the side and it is fine also.

I'm stumped at this point and don't know what else to do. The headlight bulbs look ok and the greggs running light when wired in (unhooked them in case they were a problem) do not work either. I assume they run off the headlight and the circuit is dead but I'm not sure.

I could test the connector but I don't which ones go to the light or how to test them.

Anyone have any ideas what is going on?

Thanks.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok. I get the dumbass of the year award, but I'll share in case it happens to anyone else. It appears that the lights don't come on until you crank the bike. I never noticed from the pilot seat. I crank it and the light came on fine.

·
5,547 Posts
Ok. I get the dumbass of the year award, but I'll share in case it happens to anyone else. It appears that the lights don't come on until you crank the bike. I never noticed from the pilot seat. I crank it and the light came on fine.
Yep that would be a true statement. When you turn the key the center running light comes on. But the headlight doesn't come on until you crank the starter.

+1 on the Dumbass of the year award:lao

·
Registered
929 Posts
but just in case it happens because of a different prob there is 2 fuses for the lights one in the junction box and 1 in between the frame and tail on the right side if you're standing behind the bike

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
but just in case it happens because of a different prob there is 2 fuses for the lights one in the junction box and 1 in between the frame and tail on the right side if you're standing behind the bike

Yep! Found and checked both of those and they were obviously fine. I'm used to my 1000RR that comes on when the key is on. Never thought about lights not coming until you crank it. :bitchslap

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
FYI - if you blow the fuse in the taillight circuit the gauges will not light up. I shorted one wire to ground on accident installing an LED license plate and popped a fuse. I also noticed the gauge lights were not on. That would be obvious at night, but next to impossible to tell in the daytime.

·
Premium Member
2,435 Posts
It happens to the best of us! At least everything checked out okay and you got your wife back on the road :dblthumb

1 - 7 of 7 Posts