Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My computer won't power up.Whne i turn it on, the powersupply fan, and case cooling fan both come on, but nothing else does. I think that the mainboard might be the problem, but when I plug the power cable into the board, a light comes on, I would assume that this means that the board is getting power. I have tried disconnecting, and reconecting all of the power cords, but still nothing. I don't know alot about computers, could someone please help.

·
Ride Naked
3,324 Posts
If you've got a meter, I would open up the case, and disconnect the power supply from the mother board. Set up your meter and check to make sure that it's putting out juice. Just because it's fan comes on doesn't mean the power supply is supplying power. I think blown power supplies are more common than blown mother boards (not that it doesn't happen). Mine blew out. Think I replaced it for about $30 myself. No biggie.

·
Registered
968 Posts
More often than not it's the power supply. Make sure your cables are all tight, they loosen over age/heat. Make sure your processor and memory are seated properly.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Your machine is basically not initalizing POST. All machines need to POST and then they'll boot according to the priority list in the CMOS menu. If I was a betting man, I'd put my chips on memory, power supply, and system board, in that order.

Try reseating the memory. Or if you have multiple modules and you can replace them, e.g. having one installed and one uninstalled, etc. Trying to narrow down a possible defective memory module.

Try reseating all the connections on the power supply.

Lastly, it could be the system board. Hopefully everything is under warranty. Memory and system boards are not often cheap replacements, depending on your system.

·
Registered
813 Posts
If your memory was bad, the computer will beep during POST

Replace your powersupply and see if that's the problem.. if not, it's probably your mother board..

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
BrownRob said:
If your memory was bad, the computer will beep during POST

Replace your powersupply and see if that's the problem.. if not, it's probably your mother board..
Not all of them. I just fixed one on Friday that didn't beep. Stupid IBMs.

·
Head Rooster
3,438 Posts
PEBKAC.

also most computers these days don't beep, PC speaker has gone the way of the dinos.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts