Sport Bikes banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i've determined i need a chain for my bike. It has a twist in it somehow.

But now the question is where do you guys get your chains? roughly how much, and are they usually in stock? i've figured out that i have to count my links, but how do you tell the chain type?

Thanks for the help
Derek

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i got a chain from competition cycle just a RK they told me how to count links

i looked at both front sprocket & rear but only the front looked a little bad, sharper teeth.

I had to cut the old chain off with a hack saw because i couldn't find the master link so just just hacked away. and the front sprocket wouldn't come off. I picked up the whole bike when i wrenched on it with the breaker bar!!????

how long does it take for a chain to stretch? do i need to break it in?

Thanks
Derek

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm a step ahead of you!!! I first tryed the nut the normal way, but thought about the chain rotation and figured it to be a reverse thread. Did it both ways and nothing, my dad held the rear break down and the bike was in gear but it just spun!!

I shot it with Kroil (sp) which eats rust. didnt' do shit, so I took out the Propane "torch" if i can call it that and heated up just the nut. and stilll nothing.

I flatened out the lockin ring too. unless there is a key somewhere in it that i can't see.

i'm not concerned about that sprocket now since i already have the new chain on, it would just be nice to get it off to clean it! oh well, another day.

Do you have any advice on breaking a chain in? or how often i'm going to need to adjust it since its new?

Thanks
Derek

1 - 3 of 3 Posts