Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i've determined i need a chain for my bike. It has a twist in it somehow.

But now the question is where do you guys get your chains? roughly how much, and are they usually in stock? i've figured out that i have to count my links, but how do you tell the chain type?

Thanks for the help
Derek

·
Registered
204 Posts
Most of the time when you go in to get the chain the parts book will have your bike and next to it the stock number for the chain. Of course differant chains will have differant numbers. I swapped my stock chain with a Ragina almost as soon as I got home. Chains should run about $90 depending. One thing to think of though , you might want to take a close look at the sprockets to make sure they are good still. If you put a new chain on badly worn sprockets , the chain will wear faster then normal (sometimes alot faster).
jesse

·
Registered
358 Posts
your bike and next to it the stock number for the chain. Of course differant chains will have differant numbers. I swapped my stock chain with a Ragina almost as soon as I got home. Chains should run about $90 depending. One thing to think of though , you might want to take a close look at the sprockets to make sure they are good still. If you put a new chain on badly worn sprockets , the chain will wear faster then normal (sometimes alot faster).
jesse

This is very well put, Most people neglect the sprockets and pay the price.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I also need a chain, mine just broke on me, had to push the bike home

·
Registered
586 Posts
I don't think the nipple clamps on the ends of the chain will be good for my sprockets.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i got a chain from competition cycle just a RK they told me how to count links

i looked at both front sprocket & rear but only the front looked a little bad, sharper teeth.

I had to cut the old chain off with a hack saw because i couldn't find the master link so just just hacked away. and the front sprocket wouldn't come off. I picked up the whole bike when i wrenched on it with the breaker bar!!????

how long does it take for a chain to stretch? do i need to break it in?

Thanks
Derek

·
Registered
204 Posts
I know this is going to sound really dumb so forgive me , but are sure you were turning the nut the right way? If yes then you might want to put some wd-40 (or a similar thin oil) on the nut and let it sit for a while. Next try sudden bursts of presure on the breaker bar(instead of constant presure). If that dosen't work , I think it might be time for a tourch to heat the nut but not the shaft and hope that works.
jesse

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm a step ahead of you!!! I first tryed the nut the normal way, but thought about the chain rotation and figured it to be a reverse thread. Did it both ways and nothing, my dad held the rear break down and the bike was in gear but it just spun!!

I shot it with Kroil (sp) which eats rust. didnt' do shit, so I took out the Propane "torch" if i can call it that and heated up just the nut. and stilll nothing.

I flatened out the lockin ring too. unless there is a key somewhere in it that i can't see.

i'm not concerned about that sprocket now since i already have the new chain on, it would just be nice to get it off to clean it! oh well, another day.

Do you have any advice on breaking a chain in? or how often i'm going to need to adjust it since its new?

Thanks
Derek

·
Registered
204 Posts
I would give it 100mi and cheak to see if the "slop" in the chain is the same as you set it at. After that I would cheak every so often just to see where it's at. I had my chain on for some 4000 mi and it only needed to be tightened about 150 mi ago. And I'm sorry non of the tricks you tried worked . Sometimes it's good to let someone else sweat these kinds of problems (ie friends or a mechanic)
jesse

1 - 12 of 12 Posts