Sport Bikes banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Needs some questions answered. How much to fix?

Well i am going to go look at a bike in a few minutes, and i needed to know something as i have to buy it quick because my other friend is also looking at buying it.

Its a 94 600 ( not sure of brand) for 400 bucks that my friend is selling.

All i know of now is that is needs struts and shocks and blinkers.

How much do you think it would cost to fix those? Is it worth buying the bike and then fixing it for that much? BTW i'm not sure how many miles it has on it. I think he also said it might need a peice of plastic or something.

Thanks, Any quick responses would help.
Brian

·
Registered
501 Posts
any bike that runs and has a straight frame is ok for $400.

sounds like you are rushing into it, I suggest you don't buy it based on this reason. doesn't sound like you know anything about bikes and are not prepared to purchase a bike. if you knew something about bikes, you would at least know the brand.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know the brand because hes hasn't told me, and all i know about the bike is that its a 94 600 because that's all they have otld me. I know a little about bikes but more about cars then i do bikes. I've been trying to read up on it though.

But can you tell me how much it will cost to fix it?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Bikes don't have struts......since you know so little, I'd stay away from a bike like that.

BTW, no one can estimate what it would really take to fix it with such sketchy details.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Magic8 said:
Well i am going to go look at a bike in a few minutes, and i needed to know something as i have to buy it quick because my other friend is also looking at buying it.

Its a 94 600 ( not sure of brand) for 400 bucks that my friend is selling.

All i know of now is that is needs struts and shocks and blinkers.

How much do you think it would cost to fix those? Is it worth buying the bike and then fixing it for that much? BTW i'm not sure how many miles it has on it. I think he also said it might need a peice of plastic or something.

Thanks, Any quick responses would help.
Brian
Bikes don't have struts, they have forks. If it needs new forks, it can cost up to a few hundred dollars for a new set of straight forks down to $15 for a new set of fork seals and the cost of labor to put them in.

Needs a shock? That can be costly too. All depends on the bike and the availability of used shocks on eBay.

Signals tend to run $20-$40 a set (one for front, one for rear) used on eBay up to $80-$100 per signal from the dealer.

What would get my attention is the $400 price tag. A mid-90s 600 usually runs $1800-$3000 depending on the year and model. There has to be something more wrong the bike and since you know nothing about them, it could easily cost you $1000 or more to get it streetworthy. Look elsewhere (and smaller) for a first bike.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
There's really no way to be specific, but you can usually find the more common stock rear shocks on eBay for about $50, if the front needs new fork springs that'll be another $100 or so. I have no clue about signals, but I imagine it'll be under $100 on eBay. I'd be more concerned about it running well and all the electrical stuff working if it's being sold that cheap. You should really bring somebody with you that has some motorcycle experience to check it out, otherwise you might be getting yourself into trouble. If all else fails walk into the local dealer's service dept and offer a guy money to do it.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
^^^

Yeah, like linux said, new forks would be $$$ if that's what it needs. I was thinking to myself why the hell would it need new springs.....oops.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
well as a matter of fact i just bought the bike it was a 94 ZX-6 600 16K miles on it. It was from my firend's dad so i trust him and hes worked on car and bikes for some time. For the total fix he said he estimated it at around 500 at some shop. All it needs is fairing and the front shocks are collapsed.

Other then that it runs great and the tranny shift smoothy. I don't plain on ridding it for a little while tell i get the right gear, and can learn to fix it myself and take the MSF course, since i know so little :eek: . So i figured that was the best way to encurage me to learn about it and learn to work on it at the same time. Plus my friend has many hook ups :headbang

And i don't want to here bout the i should have gone smaller, but i defiantly didn't want to go any b***** then a 600.

If anyone wants me to post pics later i can.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Did you say struts and shocks?

Yeah, you need a motorcycle. :barf

Why not get instruction FIRST? Do you actually think that this is the ONLY cheap wrecked bike you're going to find?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
freeride said:
Yeah, you need a motorcycle. :barf

Why not get instruction FIRST? Do you actually think that this is the ONLY cheap wrecked bike you're going to find?

Well sorry i didn't grow up knowing everything about bikes.. We all have to start somewhere.

and instruction? I thought that was what i was doing?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
linuxbikr said:
Three letters: MSF. Asking questions on the 'Net does not qualify as "instruction".

haha and what questions have i asked about ridding???

And if you read my other post you would know i am taking the MSF course..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts