Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I want to sell my Yamaha 2006 FZS6VR. The original owner bought it in June of '06. I bought it from him (thanks, SportBikes.net) in Sept. of the same year. It's got 1707 miles on it and it has been parked under a cover in my garage since early 2007. To keep the long story short, I made a commitment that made me stop riding. I almost sold it once, but other things took priority. It is in next to new condition with tons of extras. I never rode it hard. That wasn't my style of riding. I put Stabil in it, but in around 2007. I read that I should still be able to start it up. What say you? Or could you direct me to where I can find the answer or more info?

Thank you, in advance.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm sure it wouldn't be too much of a problem to start it. Try to crank it up and see. The problem is making sure the battery and all that stuff is good and ready to go. If you haven't already, I would be on the safe side and throw a new battery in anyway and try. If that doesn't work, I honestly don't know haha other than sea foaming it and/or draining the tank and putting new gas in. Good luck!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
sitting for 6 years?

I'd be worried about it being seized, honestly.

Reactions: quietssstorm

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm sure it wouldn't be too much of a problem to start it. Try to crank it up and see. The problem is making sure the battery and all that stuff is good and ready to go. If you haven't already, I would be on the safe side and throw a new battery in anyway and try. If that doesn't work, I honestly don't know haha other than sea foaming it and/or draining the tank and putting new gas in. Good luck!

sitting for 6 years?

I'd be worried about it being seized, honestly.
Ok, so if that is the case, what would be my next step?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm not sure. If it's seized, I have no idea. If it does crank however, I'd change all of the fluids in it and check the tires and chain. Chain MIGHT be okay. I don't know. Tires may be a little...
Rotty perhaps. Just check all that stuff provided it cranks. You could probably get some quick answers on a seized engine on google because I am not someone knowledgable on that

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
First, a new battery. While you are under the cover (it isn't a 'tank, it is sheet metal OVER the tank, which is that big roundish sort of thing toward the rear) replacing the battery, pull the plugs. If they are rusty, you got issues. Not sure what the rings are made of but the pistons will not rust. Not sure if the bearings are ferrous (iron based, WILL RUST) or not. If there is no rust on the plugs, you might have gotten lucky. With the plugs out and a new battery, crank the engine. If it spins around, thank your god.
But that is just the beginning. You still need to check the tires. I'll be amazed if they hold air. Rubber rots. Then there is the gearbox. After many years, the OIL will start to 'set'. The water separates out leaving a jelly that will turn hard. I think the seafoam will liquify that. Not real sure. Back in the day, we would put heated 50 wgt in the engine, let it sit for a while (a couple of beers) then spin the engine. If all this stuff goes correct, you still have brakes to rebuild. Brake fluid IS corrosive. Your lines will be soft and I'll bet the piston seals are history. I have no idea if the seafoam will take care of the OIL passages that have rock hard OIL clogging them.

Then there is the moral issue. Sweet thang made you give up the motorcycle in the first place because they are dangerous. Even more so when they have been abused. Which is what letting a bike sit around for years is. So when you sell it and the new owner kills hisself because of a mechanical flaw due to your abusing the bike, how will you handle that?

Assuming you have been bitten by the Obama economy and need the money (like most people do) the best way and the most money will be made by parting the bike out.
I have an '05 with lots of mods. I might get 4,000 for it but I suspect 3500 would be closer to reality. If that. Rebuilding the bike will run you almost that much. So to get any money selling the bike whole you will have to find some young kid that doesn't know any better and place his life in danger.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I doubt that it will be seized. By seized I mean parts rusted together. The engine is made of an aluminium alloy. The cylinder bore are lined with a composite ( artificial ruby, I think), so there is nothing for the rings to rust to. So the engine should spin. If the rings are rusted, you will get no or little compression. Welcome to rebuild city.
Part it out. :zzombie

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
6 years of no oil being circulated around would scare me about it being dry seized, not rust seized. meaning if he went and cranked the thing, he'd end up scoring cylinders with dry pistons on the first few revolutions, after the starter overcame the resistance of spinning a mill with no oil left in the cylinder.

on an older vehicle with a less finicky engine, I'd pull plugs and drop a little oil into each cylinder, and let that sit before cranking it.
might do absolutely no good. but it'd give me a LITTLE peace of mind anyway.

·
Registered
342 Posts
6 years of no oil being circulated around would scare me about it being dry seized, not rust seized. meaning if he went and cranked the thing, he'd end up scoring cylinders with dry pistons on the first few revolutions, after the starter overcame the resistance of spinning a mill with no oil left in the cylinder.

on an older vehicle with a less finicky engine, I'd pull plugs and drop a little oil into each cylinder, and let that sit before cranking it.
might do absolutely no good. but it'd give me a LITTLE peace of mind anyway.

The second part of that would still apply. I would bet with fresh battery and fuel it will start up and run just fine.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Hi,

I want to sell my Yamaha 2006 FZS6VR. The original owner bought it in June of '06. I bought it from him (thanks, SportBikes.net) in Sept. of the same year. It's got 1707 miles on it and it has been parked under a cover in my garage since early 2007. To keep the long story short, I made a commitment that made me stop riding. I almost sold it once, but other things took priority. It is in next to new condition with tons of extras. I never rode it hard. That wasn't my style of riding. I put Stabil in it, but in around 2007. I read that I should still be able to start it up. What say you? Or could you direct me to where I can find the answer or more info?

Thank you, in advance.
7 years is long enough for the engine's oil film to have long since broken down.

if you just start the engine and go, you can do a lot of damage.

here are some things to do before you start the engine and go.

replace the battery, 3 sitting years is long enough to kill a car battery, let alone a motorcycle battery.

change oil, while sitting around shouldn't break the oil down, water can condense in it or it might have needed an oil change when it was put away. any way it is best to change the oil.

change brake fluid, again water condenses in it.

change the fuel.

check tires, if it was stored outside the tires definitely need to change, if not it is still a good idea.

lube the chain at least or replace if needed.

check the intake tract, and replace the air filter. i have found mouse nests in intakes (this is mostly a problem for engines that were stored outside).

pull the spark plugs, spray some wd40 into the cylinders.

now, with the spark plugs out, crank the engine over for a while. This is to get oil pumping around.

after doing that for a while, put new spark plugs in.

see if the bike will start. If it does, let it idle for a while before you start riding.

when you start riding, start slow, see if there is anything you missed that needs your attention.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Most important, you need to manage your own expectations a little bit. You're not sitting on a goldmine. A quick check of KBB shows your bike to be worth $2400 or so. As is (non-running), it's worth about $500. You say it ran fine when you shut it down, but a buyer won't know that and will have no inclination to believe you.

After you relize that, you need to balance your work and money against the potential return. At the very least put in a battery and see if it fires. If you can get it running well for the cost of a battery, you made money. Then you need to decide what else you want to mess with. Oil and filter, tires, chain and sprockets, etc. If you have mechanical skills it's probably better to do some work on the bike. If you are planning to pay a shop it's probably better to sell it for $1500 and let the next owner do the work.

As a note, these guys have soem pretty good ideas about bringing an engine back to life. I'm more of a "kick it in the air and see if it flies" guy, but that's just me.

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I would NOT spray WD40 into the cylinder. if you must use a spray lube on the cylinders, use Nut Buster. WD40 is mostly water.

besides that, jeffo has the list about right, as I would do it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
WD(water displacement) 40 is mostly water? Pray tell how you came to that conclusion.

What does WD-40 Multi-Use Product contain?
While the ingredients in WD-40 Multi-Use Product are secret, we can tell you what it does NOT contain. WD-40 Multi-Use Product does not contain silicone, kerosene, water, graphite, or chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs)
http://wd40.com/faqs/

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Eh, every farmer I've ever dealt with about it swears that Wd40 is evil, and to use Nut Buster instead. can't say I've ever done any research into it. Nut Buster is no more expensive, and works better in my experience, so I just use it.

Guess it was just blind following on my part.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dear 2old,

Then there is the moral issue. Sweet thang made you give up the motorcycle in the first place because they are dangerous. . . .

. . . Rebuilding the bike will run you almost that much. So to get any money selling the bike whole you will have to find some young kid that doesn't know any better and place his life in danger.
"Sweet thang. . ." Ouch! :afraid But, if you want to describe actively choosing to become a single mother to rescue animals my "Sweet thang", then I guess the description is accurate. I would look at myself as being selfish, if I took the animals in, then left them frequently to keep my riding chops up. I'll also share that I have been a middle school teacher for 27 years, so the idea of knowingly putting a young person in danger is, indeed, a moral issue. I used to stay in my classroom until 8 PM, 2 or 3 days a week, planning for teaching. My job was 2 min. from home. I couldn't keep a charge on my battery because of such a short ride. LOL

Now, describing my admitted neglect of my baby as abuse, when many animals AND young people are subjected to bullying by peers, and/or [email protected], emotional, and physical harm as a "moral" issue? For me? Not so much. It is a non-sequitur.

Before I return to preparing FOUND posters for a stray and planning for my students, I want you to know that I would be negligent in not recognizing the thorough way in which you outlined the actions that I should consider. I really appreciate your knowledge about how the current condition of my bike would effect the value! Your suggestions are so valuable, but you might consider withholding your judgement until you get to know a gal better.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts