Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

First time poster here. Sorry for the wall of text.

I've registered for my MSF course in the middle of March, but since then, I've been researching just about everything I can in preparation. I'm confident I will pass the test, I've got experience with mountain biking and commuting through traffic in the city.

I've been torn between the Ninja 250r and the FZ6r, and have done a lot of research on them. I've pored over the new rider forum here, and almost everyone recommends getting a 250r (and I'd normally agree with you) but the problem is, in the DMV, I'm having the hardest time finding used Ninjettes in my area. Checking cycletrader.com, so far there are three used options and they're all well over 70 miles away, deep in Pennsylvania Dutch territory...I've got no way of getting up there, nor do I want to pay someone to transport it down for me.

I'm just curious, considering I'll do about 720 miles of highway commuting a month on the 95 corridor, should I go with the beautiful, used FZ6r that's miles from my current house, the 2006 Ninjette located 95 miles from me, or should I spring for a new Ninja 300? I'd be really pissed with myself if I dropped a brand new bike, which we all know is going to happen at some point anyway. Though I'd mostly be doing highway driving, I know I'll be out every weekend, scouting out twisty roads in VA and the Appalachians to get lost on. :)

What are my other options as far as bike classifieds go? I haven't bothered with craigslist, figure it's all scams anyway. And, just to beat a dead horse, do you think I could go with the FZ6r, knowing that all of my riding during the work week is on highways, and just "grow into it"?

Thanks in advance everyone!

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Craigslist fine. Just make sure you got meet the seller and the bike before you send or give money.

I just checked the Baltimore Craigs list and there is at least a dozen 250's less then 3k.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
495 Posts
I buy and sell Goldwings as a side business and do 95% or more of my buying on Craigslist.

Just use common sense (which, ironically seems be be less common lately).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Craigslist fine. Just make sure you got meet the seller and the bike before you send or give money.

I just checked the Baltimore Craigs list and there is at least a dozen 250's less then 3k.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Motorcycle.com Free App
I guess I've just heard horror stories, but it seems like that's not the case anymore. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I buy and sell Goldwings as a side business and do 95% or more of my buying on Craigslist.

Just use common sense (which, ironically seems be be less common lately).
Thank you for your help! There's actually a really nice bike not too far from me, for just under $2800 that I might pick up before I get my license. We shall see.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts