Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of a new TV and I can't quite come to a decision about what I want or need. I have about $1000 to spend on one, or maybe $1200 if I absoloutely fall in love with one. My delima is whether to get a nice analog (old school) 36" flat screen or a hi-definition (new school) 32" flat screen. I know for a fact that for right now I would be more than happy with the 36". I'm even thinking ahead a little because I will be moving into my newly built house in less than a year from now and the living area is pretty good sized and a slightly larger screen would be a real nice treat. The only thing I'm thinking about the 32" TV is that I keep hearing that Hi-def will be the only signal availabe in about 5-6 years which would reduce the picture size down on a 36" screen to get the picture to fit the taller picture tube.

Right now we have two TVs in our house. Both are 27" TVs and both were highschool graduation presents from my wifes parents to her and from my mom to me. That means that my wifes TV is about 14 years old, and it doesn't even have a remote, not that the remote was lost, but that it isn't even capeabe of being operated with a remote of any kind. My 27" TV is about 12 years old and is the one that is going to hell. The picture keeps flashing to complete black, and can't keep it's harizontal hold very good. You literaly have to smack the TV on the side of the box to get the picture to come back to normal. I'm really in desperate need of a TV this week.

I really like the 36" Sony KV 36FV310 and it's right in the $1000-$1100 range. Or there are a couple Panasonic 36" or RCA 36" TVs that come in closer to $900. Any one have any suggestions???

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
I'd go with the 36 inch.

I highly doubt that you will have any issues with the whole "only hi-def" being available. Cable companies aren't stupid, and they won't offer only that, as long as they have people that are still willing to pay for the non-hi-def stuff.

Besides, 36 inch Sony TV's are fucking wicked badass TV's. I like Panasonics too, but nothing comes close to a Sony...at least not for the price...I'm sure you can find some REAL high end stuff that's better, but it's probably quite a bit more money...

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Justin726 said:
I am in need of a new TV and I can't quite come to a decision about what I want or need. I have about $1000 to spend on one, or maybe $1200 if I absoloutely fall in love with one. My delima is whether to get a nice analog (old school) 36" flat screen or a hi-definition (new school) 32" flat screen. I know for a fact that for right now I would be more than happy with the 36". I'm even thinking ahead a little because I will be moving into my newly built house in less than a year from now and the living area is pretty good sized and a slightly larger screen would be a real nice treat. The only thing I'm thinking about the 32" TV is that I keep hearing that Hi-def will be the only signal availabe in about 5-6 years which would reduce the picture size down on a 36" screen to get the picture to fit the taller picture tube.

Right now we have two TVs in our house. Both are 27" TVs and both were highschool graduation presents from my wifes parents to her and from my mom to me. That means that my wifes TV is about 14 years old, and it doesn't even have a remote, not that the remote was lost, but that it isn't even capeabe of being operated with a remote of any kind. My 27" TV is about 12 years old and is the one that is going to hell. The picture keeps flashing to complete black, and can't keep it's harizontal hold very good. You literaly have to smack the TV on the side of the box to get the picture to come back to normal. I'm really in desperate need of a TV this week.

I really like the 36" Sony KV 36FV310 and it's right in the $1000-$1100 range. Or there are a couple Panasonic 36" or RCA 36" TVs that come in closer to $900. Any one have any suggestions???

Justin,

Both the Sony and Panasonic are awesome brands. As for size, you need to decide how big according to the size and configuration of the room it will be in.

Either way.............ENJOY BRO!!!

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I say 36, I am sure you will ifnd a great deal

·
Common sense isn't common
986 Posts
I saw a nice Mitsubishi HDTV @ Sears for $1500. I think it was a 52" though

·
Registered
82 Posts
Its true, all analog tv's will be outdated in a few years....everything will be in HD. Personally, I would sacrafice a few inches and get the high definition as the quality is not even comparable. Plus in a few years, when everything is HD, there will be no need to upgrade.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Justin726 said:

Get the 36" :) If you would like to find out if you can get a better deal - try this site - pricescan.com. I havefound it to be most useful for other products like digital cameras and accessories. Hope this helps!

·
Valiant Poultry
15,151 Posts
Smoke2k said:
Its true, all analog tv's will be outdated in a few years....everything will be in HD. Personally, I would sacrafice a few inches and get the high definition as the quality is not even comparable. Plus in a few years, when everything is HD, there will be no need to upgrade.

Sure it will.

Just for arguments sake, when I worked at Circuit City...back in 1999...it was supposed to be 4 years before analog TV's were outdated...let's see, that would've been last year, yet I still see analog TV's all over the place.

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
i've got an HDTV, a 50" toshiba. got it for a reasonable price.

truth is there isn't very much progamming for HD right now. i've only got about 8 HD channels right now, and sometimes (e.g. ESPN HD) the progamming on those stations is NOT always in HD. plus i'm having to pay extra for those channels.

i got it mainly for sports, and it is breathtaking, but i think even with the 'total conversion' by 2006 (if that even really happens) it will still be backwards compatable (meaning you can still watch tv on an analog set).

i imagine that by the time HD is commonplace a set can be had for pretty cheap. if you plan on buying another tv by then then i say get the analog one you're leaning toward, otherwise get the biggest rear projection HD set in the 16:9 format. all the HD i receive is in that format.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I feel analog is just fine for the lousy tv and movies I watch.

Only thing I dont like is you have to be built like Karl Malone to move them things.

·
Registered
681 Posts
go widescreen.....no matter what size you get, since all dvd's are in 16:9 format. It sucks having only 4:3 tv's w/ dvd player.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Don't get one period. Sell the two you have now and terminate your cable service.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts