Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Scorpion, which I've been thinking about replacing anyways, committed suicide by stairs last week and because of that and many other factors I'd like to replace it. Now, I love my Scorpion and would recommend it to anyone looking for a mid priced helmet but I'm looking to upgrade.

I sell helmets at the shop so I know the basic differences between the brands but I'm looking for opinion from people who have ridden with different high end helmets. Basically, I want to know what the differences are going to be between Suomy, Arai, Shoei and Shark. Do you guys have a preference? If so, why? I'm leaning towards Suomy or Arai but I haven't had a chance to wear either while riding and I haven't ever worn a Suomy. Money is not the main issue for me here, comfort and protection are however.

One thing to note is I have a tiny head so the smaller the sizing the better. (An Arai Profile in XS is lose on my head.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Just go for another Scorpion Helmet. they're pretty high-end.

Shoei's and Arai are your other options. Did you try on a Shoei?

·
old member
13,079 Posts
+1 on trying on a Shoei X-11. I've had mine for over 4 years and still love it. Great ventilation, light weight, easy to change shields, shields secure at high speeds with head turned, and it fits me well. Obviously, fit is the most important issue.

·
Registered
219 Posts
As long as you stick to the brands you listed you'll be great for protection, you'll just need to find the most comfortable.

After trying on about a dozen different helmets I settled on the RSR2 for comfort, protection, and noise level. It fit me perfectly, I think it has the best protection available, and it turned out to be very quite compared some of the other helmets I've had. Excellent ventilation it turns out as well. I got one on close out for $315 delivered.

·
Registered
34 Posts
+1 for Shark. I have a long oval shaped head and the Shark RSX fit me very comfy.
I think the Sharks are a terrific value high end helmet when compared to similar tier helmets from Arai and Shoei.

I've tried the scorpions as well, and IMO, the extra $ for a Shark is well worth it. I was holding a Medium Scorpion exo-700 (small shell) and comparing it to a Large Shark RSX (large shell) and you can definitely tell the difference in weight. And when wearing it, the difference is even more prominent.

·
51 times World Champions
3,861 Posts
+1 for Shark. I have a long oval shaped head and the Shark RSX fit me very comfy.
I think the Sharks are a terrific value high end helmet when compared to similar tier helmets from Arai and Shoei.

I've tried the scorpions as well, and IMO, the extra $ for a Shark is well worth it. I was holding a Medium Scorpion exo-700 (small shell) and comparing it to a Large Shark RSX (large shell) and you can definitely tell the difference in weight. And when wearing it, the difference is even more prominent.
I'll second that!

:cheers

·
Wanna-be racer
2,572 Posts
i got my Arai RX-7 last week... i don't want to take it off my head... i did a lot of research before buying the helmet and even when i got it was being ridiculously skeptical about how it fit... it fits fine and i was just being a nut case

in any fashion, it was that helmet or the Shark RSR2. Every Arai i put on fit me a lot better than the Shark. The shark felt great on my head, just not as firm as the Arai line. i'm happy with my purchase!

lets see some pics!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Then go try some on.
That's easier said than done, which is part of the reason I'm posting here. I live in a town with two dealerships, and I work at the b***** one. No one around here carries many high end helmets because they don't sell well. I'd have to go two hours to Phoenix to try them on and even then it's a long shot that they'll have my size in stock.

As far as my headshape goes, I need to measure and find out for sure but it seems to be intermediate oval. And I am considering Shoei as well but the difference in the safety standards makes me prefer Arai or Suomy. Then again, they're all quality helmets so I'm not going to rule one out.

·
Registered
10,734 Posts
I've had Scorpion Exo 400's and 700's. I recently moved to a Shark RSR2 and find that I absolutely love it. The lack of weight, the finish, the great ventillation, the infinite adjustment on the shield, the outstanding optics on the mirrored shield, just everything about it...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No love for Suomy?
I'm surprised I'm not seeing as much support for Suomy as I expected. Anyone want to explain why they aren't suggesting Suomy?

TejasRider said:
I've had Scorpion Exo 400's and 700's. I recently moved to a Shark RSR2 and find that I absolutely love it. The lack of weight, the finish, the great ventillation, the infinite adjustment on the shield, the outstanding optics on the mirrored shield, just everything about it...
Is it pretty easy to change shields on the Sharks? That's the one thing I dislike about certain HJC and Shoei Helmets, I feel like I'm going to break them.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Is it pretty easy to change shields on the Sharks? That's the one thing I dislike about certain HJC and Shoei Helmets, I feel like I'm going to break them.
Shield change on a Shark takes less time than it took for me to write this sentence. No joke.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Shield change on a Shark takes less time than it took for me to write this sentence. No joke.
How does the mechanism hold up? Do they break very often?

Arai claims the more round shape of their helmets makes them quieter than ones shaped more like Shark's, has anyone noticed this?

·
51 times World Champions
3,861 Posts
How does the mechanism hold up? Do they break very often?

Arai claims the more round shape of their helmets makes them quieter than ones shaped more like Shark's, has anyone noticed this?
I've got both an Arai RX7-Corsair and a Shark RSX. My experience is that the Shark is clearly the quieter of the two. I've also seen a number of other riders report having a similar experience with the RSX, as well as other Shark models.

Of course, I also wear a set of custom molded ear filters, as no helmet is going to be quiet enough to prevent hearing damage all on it's own. The big problem is that noise is subjective as some people are more sensitive to certain frequencies than others. You've also got the issue that noise generation is dependent on a number of things like fit, rider position, the aerodynamic flow of a particular motorcycle and other variables. There is always going to be the possibility that you may find just the opposite to be true.

The Shark mechanism seems quite durable and I've yet to see a report of one breaking. I can't say the same for the Arai, as the design of it's release mechanism seems to be one of the most popular complaints with the brand. As for ease of changing shields, it's no contest. I can swap shields on the Shark, with my eyes closed, in just a matter of seconds. I can't get close to a similar time with the Arai, despite my 20/10 vision, giving it my full concentration and holding my tongue just right...

Having become paranoid about the fact that if I manage to break just one of the little tabs that hold each of the two side-pods on will mean that the helmet is unusable, due to it then being incapable of retaining the shield, doesn't help. If you're out on the road, and don't have a supply of duct tape to hold the shield onto the helmet (which then makes it immovable), you're screwed.

My Arai has become a very, very expensive decorative item since I bought the Shark...

:beer

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've got both an Arai RX7-Corsair and a Shark RSX. My experience is that the Shark is clearly the quieter of the two. I've also seen a number of other riders report having a similar experience with the RSX, as well as other Shark models.

Of course, I also wear a set of custom molded ear filters, as no helmet is going to be quiet enough to prevent hearing damage all on it's own. The big problem is that noise is subjective as some people are more sensitive to certain frequencies than others. You've also got the issue that noise generation is dependent on a number of things like fit, rider position, the aerodynamic flow of a particular motorcycle and other variables. There is always going to be the possibility that you may find just the opposite to be true.

The Shark mechanism seems quite durable and I've yet to see a report of one breaking. I can't say the same for the Arai, as the design of it's release mechanism seems to be one of the most popular complaints with the brand. As for ease of changing shields, it's no contest. I can swap shields on the Shark, with my eyes closed, in just a matter of seconds. I can't get close to a similar time with the Arai, despite my 20/10 vision, giving it my full concentration and holding my tongue just right...

Having become paranoid about the fact that if I manage to break just one of the little tabs that hold each of the two side-pods on will mean that the helmet is unusable, due to it then being incapable of retaining the shield, doesn't help. If you're out on the road, and don't have a supply of duct tape to hold the shield onto the helmet (which then makes it immovable), you're screwed.

My Arai has become a very, very expensive decorative item since I bought the Shark...

:beer
Do you find that the sizing on Shark helmets is about standard? It seems that Scorpions run small which is the only reason an XS will fit me but I may have to chose a helmet based on what I can get in a small enough size.

·
51 times World Champions
3,861 Posts
Do you find that the sizing on Shark helmets is about standard? It seems that Scorpions run small which is the only reason an XS will fit me but I may have to chose a helmet based on what I can get in a small enough size.
My experience has been with the "L" and "XL" helmet sizes (Hey, it's gotta be big enough to hold all these brains... :lao). In those sizes, I found the headform shapes to be quite similar between the Scorpions, Sharks and Vandal model of the previously mentioned Suomy brand. I have it on good authority that the Suomy Spec-1R is decidedly different.

I know a number of the staff at a couple of major mail-order suppliers near me, and have been told that they no longer bother to stock the Spec-1R. Their experience has been that while the Vandal model (and thus the Shark and Scorpion brands) fits a large proportion of riders, the Spec-1R has what they describe as a "weird" headform shape. In fact, in one operation, the only Spec-1R they had was a special "limited edition" they had on display in a case.

Seeing as you're in Flagstaff, I'd recommend taking a day trip to have a better look at what's available. Here are the guys I'd recommend paying a visit to...

The Helmet Harbor LLC
511 W. Guadalupe Rd. Suite #4
Gilbert, AZ 85233

Give 'em a call at (480) 635-1005, just to make sure they've got the sizes available in the models you're interested in. You can have a browse around at what they offer by going to Helmet Harbor - Helmets/Street/Full Face

Cheers

1 - 20 of 34 Posts