Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last month I got cut off in traffic when a car didn't see me. I ended up low siding the bike and today the insurance company called me to tell me it was declared a total loss. This was my first bike an '07 gs500f. I put about 5k on it in last season when I got it. I felt pretty comfortable on it but I'd like to look at something a bit more powerful (and fuel injected!!). I'd like the 09+ 650r or a similar bike but I've also thought about a SS. The only thing really holding me back from a SS is the insurance since I'd like to get full coverage on it and I'm only 23. Is there a pretty big difference in insurance from a 650r to a 600ss? Or something else you guys would recommend?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm 24 and just got quoted at about $600/yr for full coverage for my 04 f4i with progressive. Thats after the msf course discount. Everyone else quoted me much higher... close to $1,000. The newer your bike is the more its going to cost.

If you go with liability only you can save a lot of money... I think I paid $240 last year for liability with rider insurance. But if anything happens to the bike you're SOL.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Run quotes. No one can tell you how much it's going to cost for insurance. Run them at a few different companies. I know when I was looking at getting a Daytona everyone was quoting me well over $1k a year for full coverage. The agent who does my car insurance quoted me several thousand dollars. Ending up finding a diamond in the rough for less than $600 a year.

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
All we can really tell you is that yes, most likely a 600 SS will cost more than a 650 at a given insurer, unless all they look at is engine displacement. Beyond that you need to talk to an agent and get some quotes. It's not hard, just call em up and say "I'm interested in buying this bike, how much will insurance be?" and they will tell you. Asking people on the internet is just gonna get you a pile of bullshit answers that don't mean a damn thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, I was going to do that but I just wanted to know if anyone had an idea.

Concerning bikes though, what other options do I have? I've looked some ninja 650s and sv650s but there doesnt seem to be a whole lot of sportbikes in the middle ground between beginner bikes and supersports in my area

·
Registered
791 Posts
Could try any of the nakeds out there.
Ducati Monster
Triumph speed/street
Mv agusta brutale

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
F4i. It's a good step up bike from a 500 before hitting the newer 600s. It's got enough power to get you into trouble, but it's easy enough to handle to keep you out of that trouble.

Granted I'm much older than you, but I'm paying roughly 470/year for my F4i for full coverage through State Farm. Unfortunately they don't do just motorcycle, you generally have to have a car insured with them as well.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Concerning bikes though, what other options do I have? I've looked some ninja 650s and sv650s but there doesnt seem to be a whole lot of sportbikes in the middle ground between beginner bikes and supersports in my area
There are many "middle ground" bikes, like...

SV650
SFV650 (Gladius)
DL650 (V-Strom)
GSX-F 650
ER6N
Ninja 650
Versys 650
Z750
Z800
FZ6
FZ6R
MT-09

Seems that you're only looking at fully faired bikes, but keep in mind that naked bikes, without an "R" at the end of the model name, will be cheaper to insure.

·
Registered
250 Posts
There are many "middle ground" bikes, like...

SV650
SFV650 (Gladius)
DL650 (V-Strom)
GSX-F 650
ER6N
Ninja 650
Versys 650
Z750
Z800
FZ6
FZ6R
MT-09

Seems that you're only looking at fully faired bikes, but keep in mind that naked bikes, without an "R" at the end of the model name, will be cheaper to insure.
My FZ6R is $598 to insure for a year, full coverage with high limits and low deductible. Granted, I'm 31, not 23, and have no points or accidents. That's on State Farm, added to my full coverage car policy on the GTI.

~MMX

·
Registered
417 Posts
Take my advice: Buy something comfortable. Even in the middle of mountain country, all the really fun roads are an hour or more away. You might only use your bike for "fun", but there's nothing fun about a leg cramp before you even get to the curves. If I had a more comfortable bike, I would ride three times as much as I do now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts